Author Topic: Pizzaneer's Home Oven pizzas  (Read 3641 times)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Pizzaneer's Home Oven pizzas
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:10:02 PM »
Thought I would start a new thread that I can update more easily as time goes on.
After starting a thread with a particular date, it just didn't seem right to keep slapping more onto it.  Here's the link for that thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21854.msg221330.html#msg221330

Anyway, I made a few changes for tonight's bake.  To begin with, I was thinking about making one large pizza, about 15-16". To do this, I had planned on making a 550g doughball.   However, my kid wanted just cheese, I wanted black olives and hmm, the bacon started sounding good too.  So I wound up making two 12" pies.

100% KABF    (314.159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510g)
 65% water    (204.203522483g)
   2.5% salt    (7.853981634g)
   2.5% sugar (7.853981634g)
   5% oil        (15.707963268g)
  smidge ADY

Oddly, when I figured the total weight of the formula (175g) and divided the desired doughball weight (550g), I got what looked like the value of pi or close enough.  So I wound up multiplying my formula % by pi to get the individual ingredient weights.  Geek-fu!  :pizza:    Ok, I rounded off.   :P

As before, premixed flour, salt and most of the sugar.  Added cold water with a smidge of yeast and sugar.  I mean a tiny sprinkle, something around .02g.
Hand mix until incorporated. Oil added on top, then mushed in.
Rest for an hour or two.
Pressed out with knuckles into a circle, then letterfold and jellyroll.  Mush down and repeat.
Dropped into its own mixing bowl, bowl loosely covered with plastic wrap, BF for 36 hours @50.  Dough tripled, started to look overblown.
Ball divided into 2 pcs, reballed and RT on a cookie sheet in the oven for 12 hours.  Used inverted bowls to cover.
Perfect rise.  Perfect smell.  Like a fine champagne.  A little tang to it.

Not to get too graphic, but the dough had an amazing, nearly alive feeling in the hands.  Incredibly soft, pillowy, silky smooth... umm, yeah, let's just leave it there.  

Anyway, it stretched great to 12" for the cheese pizza.  As you can see, the rim went WOOSH! and inflated way beyond my expectations.  I had sauced the skin to within 1/2" of the edge to try to keep it down a bit... not happening.  I wound up with a poofy rim all the way around.  But it sure was good.  Darwin ate the entire thing except for my chef's slice.   ;)

So on the next one (1/2 black olive, all bacon) I rolled the dough out.  I felt bad doing it too. I felt mean.  Dough like this should have been treated more lovingly.  The rim didn't rise much, and the final texture was much different from the first pizza.  It actually had a lot in common with the usual Dominos or Pizza Johns pizza.   Not bad per se, just not as great.  Fifth pic.

Both pizzas were baked at 600 on a stone on the second-to-top position of my electric oven.  An hour preheat to 540, then broiler turned on high while shaping and dressing; broiler on low during the bake.  About 3 minutes each.

This was the best-smelling pizza I've ever made.  Unbelievable aroma from the dough.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:40:13 AM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizzaneer's Home Oven pizzas
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
I'd hit it.  The cheese looks very tasty and perfectly done.  What do yout taste testers think?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »
Thanks Gene.  The cheese was sliced brick mozz with jack cubes and parmesan.  

He ate all the cheese pizza, and 2 slices of the bacon pizza...  then an apple, a pack of peanut butter crackers and a tall glass of milk.  I don't know how that's possible- I was full after 2 slices.  ::)

Got him to hold still for a sec after 4 slices:

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »
Wow, just found this thread....2 great looking pies there Pizzaneer!  I like the way you shaved/sliced the cheese on the first pic and the crust/rim is beautiful...sounds like they tasted great too. Keep them coming Brian, thanks!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
I'll second that.

The crumb and underskirt look fantastic!
Michael

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
I'll second that.

The crumb and underskirt look fantastic!

Thanks Bob, thanks Mike.  Say Mike, what part of MD are you in?  Wondering how your WFO is doing?

Offline pizzaneer

11/16/2012
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:49:04 AM »
Tonight's pie was made with the same dough formulation as the previous one.  I stuck with one dough ball this time instead of dividing and making two small pizzas.  After mixing and resting, it was folded and rolled twice, then left to rise for 36 hours.  It tripled in volume.  Tightly reballed and moved to a cookie sheet in the oven with the light on, covered with the mixing bowl for 12 hours.

The final dough weight was 372g, and it was stretched to 15".  Took care to fork-dock it before topping.  It was full of bubbles.

Toppings:
whole brick of thin-sliced mozzarella
1/3 of a small wheel of smoked gouda, cubed
black olives, bacon
slivered lebanon bologna

Darwin and I enjoyed it downstairs at the bar with our ginger ale.  We watched Dodgeball with Ben Stiller.

We both loved the gouda taste.  I'm glad I didn't go crazy with it, it would have been overwhelming.
The lebanon bologna was really good.  Different from hard salami, more of a beef taste to it.
After some initial doubts, he's starting to like black olives.   :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:53:00 AM by pizzaneer »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:08 AM »
Great pizza and great times. I love black olives on pizza. For 91% of my life, pepperoni and black olive was my favorite topping combination. I like them on cheese enchiladas too.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »
Personally, I can live without the olives, but otherwise your pies look very tasty indeed!

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »

Following a photo-taking hiatus during which a NY style and 2 rectangular bar style pizzas went unrecorded, here is another NY style.
This one was made with slightly higher hydration (68%), 2.5% salt & sugar, 5% oil, topped with brick mozz, parmesan, PP and BO.

Dough shots (relevant to a discussion about extracting dough from a proofing container):

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
pizza shots:

Had an oops during this bake: broiler shut off prematurely, resulting in imperfect top charring, and I really missed the burnaronis.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:42:17 AM by pizzaneer »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
Very nice indeed.....where's your little grin'in pizza pal?  :chef:

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
Mr. Nose stood in for him in the photo shoot:

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
Brian, these pies looks great...
Bert,

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
Thank you very much, Bert!  I'm still working on the ideal formula for second-day cold pizza.  I think with this one, I could've had a winner - if any of the pizza had survived that long!  The key seems to be the oil content and degree of doneness. The one cold slice I had was irresistible!

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »
Pizza looks really good.  Are you cold fermenting for some length of time?  Like your pizza cat too  :)
I'd like to try a slice since this weekend since we didn't do pizza.  Made minestrone soup and herb bread rolls.  Try to do pizza every other week end.
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »
Thanks Regina!  Love the Muir quote.  Feel free to gallop over for a slice or three - but it's a long way from WA to MD unfortunately.   My pizza cat is Mr. Nose.  He's one of those cats that has never heard that cats should be shy and sneaky.

I am indeed fermenting for about 48 hours.  For this bake, I made one ball, so the bulk rise and ball ferment became one thing.  I mixed it, did two folds, made a ball and let it rise in a warm place (70) until it was about doubled or a little more.  Then put it in the garage (45) for the next two days.  Let it warm up for about 4 hours prior to baking.

Really, a heavenly smell.  It just doesn't get any more enticing than great dough and good toppings baking.  I feel sorry for my neighbors sometimes!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 11:13:08 PM »
Brian,

I really like your crumb shot and Mr. Nose is very cute.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
Mr. Nose is guarding Darwin's cars..... :)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
Brian...just curious... why do you have so much flour on you counter top.
Bert,