Author Topic: 3/8" 6061 aluminum  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Seven

Re: 3/8" 6061 aluminum
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 03:37:49 PM »
Some ovens have a broiler convection setting, sometimes called convection roast. Wonder if I should buy a steel or aluminum sheet and see what effect it has...

scott123

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 05:56:17 PM »
Some ovens have a broiler convection setting, sometimes called convection roast. Wonder if I should buy a steel or aluminum sheet and see what effect it has...

John, broiler convection may be good for roasting meats, but, for our needs, I don't think it's all that useful.  Broilers pump out IR radiation and IR is line of sight/unaffected by air flow. The heat rising from the bake element is far more convective in nature- when you circulate that with a fan, that's when the party begins.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »
Scott,  good call,  it is a convection oven,  I have had some good results using the oven for pizza in convection mode,  very good in fact,  but have not used it in combination with the plate.  I will and will report back.  Will be a couple weeks.  Thanks for the heads up.  -marc

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
Couple more tweaks.  60% hydration/1%sugar/3%oil/.5ADY/rex royal,  1.5 day cold ferment.  Preheated to 550 with convection.  launched @ 575.  first pie,  4 minutes with a late touch of broil,  actually hat to slide a screen under this to stop the bottom from burning,  had good coloration at 2 minutes.  Second pie started broiler at launch,  and was out of the oven @ 3 minutes.  Pretty nice outer crisp yet soft moist center.  Good stuff.  Just figured I would report back.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:46:37 PM by widespreadpizza »

scott123

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
Looking good, Marc. The undercrust is just a tiny bit too much color for me, but that's totally subjective.  What are your feelings on the extra oil?  It looks like it might have helped a bit with the rim coloration, but I can't tell much of a difference with the undercrust.

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
Scott,  I agree on the top browning,  the bottom is still a little more mottled than I am looking for.  It is cerainly taking on color quicker with the additional oil.  I am getting really nice spring out of this plate,  but at the expense of the dough slightly sticking,  almost like searing at the beginning of the bake.  I do like what the oil does especially for next day cold eating,  but at the end of the day,  I may have to dial back the temps to get what I am looking for out of my NY style,  meaning some wore crisp,  and a bit dryer of an interior.  I feel like maybe an unmalted flour test is in order.  No sugar, no malt maybe just a bit of oil.  might get me back out to 4 minutes or so with a little more crisp.  -Marc

scott123

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »
Marc, I don't think you notice this as much in a WFO, but anywhere a dough burns, it will liquefy and stick like crazy. I notice you have a couple tiny spots where the dough burned.

Your 500 deg. 7 minute bake from the previous page looked very crispy and fairly evenly browned, while this was contrast-y and finished in 2-3 minutes on the bottom on 550.  You could obviously try an unmalted flour (I wouldn't go 100% unmalted, though), but 525 might be that happy medium with this malted formula.  With my own soapstone hearth, 550 gives me a 2.5 minute bake with a little too much contrast, while 525 is just right.

I would also add that, from a crispy perspective, the 500 deg. 7 minute pie was 55% hydration.  If you want some of that crispiness with a shorter bake time, it might be worth while playing around with less water. We're getting into a very subjective area here, but if I were working with your flour and your plate, I'd probably go 58% hydration and a 525 pre-heat with the 1% sugar and 3% oil that you're using now.

pizzapan