Author Topic: Deep fried pizza - amazing stuff  (Read 12791 times)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Deep fried pizza - amazing stuff
« on: December 05, 2005, 09:53:08 PM »
Ok guys, I'm taking a trip back about 15 years now.....

Way back in my very big party days, when I was living in Montreal, my brother and I would
look forward to our weekends... our parents would take off to our country cottage, and my  brother and
I would invite our friends over and the beer parties would begin  ;D

I have always loved baking, and one of the things I would make is fried pizza.  I would make up regular pizza dough ( your average recipe of flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, oil ) ....

Now since the deep fryer was already going because we used to eat fries all the time, it was too easy to make the deep fried pizzas.

I'd take a little bit of dough and roll out a 4 or 5 " round...  put sauce over 1/2 the dough, pour on some grated cheese, and also a few slices of pepperoni.  Then I'd fold the dough over on itself making a semi-circle...
I'd seal it down well with my fingers and then into the deep fryer it would go....

well darn, that was amazing pizza....  if you ever are in the mood, try it out... oh and it goes great with BEER  ;D

In those days, I was bigtime into making homemade onion rings with my famous "batterfrank" batter, - it's a pogo batter.... oh and my "bobo balls" ... in Montreal when you order Chinese food, you get those little balls of dough that have the chicken in the middle... well we call 'em "bobo" balls, I guess chicken balls is another name for 'em... anyway I would use this pogo batter to make those also.... take pieces of chicken, into the batter they go, and then into the hot oil - so so yummy !  .... if you don't feel like doing chicken, try regular hotdogs.... my guests used to eat those up and fast  ;D ... just pre-cook the hotdogs in water or zap 'em in the microwave... dry them off... then into the pogo batter... then into the hot oil.

Great treats for any upcoming Xmas party you may be thinking of doing, and trust me, they are very yummy.

Mark.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
Re: Deep fried pizza - amazing stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:24:03 PM »
Yeah I remember fried pizza or "Pizza Frita" as my mom used to call it. We would take the pizza dough and pull off small pieces about an inch or so and drop them into the hot oil. In just a few seconds they were sizzling and floating to the top of the oil. Mom would scoop them out and drop them into small brown paper lunch bags that had been filled with sugar and cinnamon. We would shake them up in the bags and eat them right out of the bags. One of my most delicious childhood memories.  ;D

Today the kids seem to go nuts over those mexican churros. They are nowhere near as good as the pizza frita.

Funny thing, I don't think mom ever made pizza. :'(

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:24:26 PM »
Hmmm.....deep fried pizza......hmmmmmm
I will have to investigate this.
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 01:31:06 PM »
Hi Dan,

Funny you should mention that, - it just rang a bell in my head..... a few nights ago I was watching the FoodTV network, and an Italian woman was making little doughnuts out of pizza dough.  She did something like you just described...

she rolled out the dough, and then cut out little balls with a cookie cutter... into some hot oil they went, and when golden brown she pulled them out and then sprinkled them with a cinnamon / sugar mixture.  Anyway they looked damn good.... yum !  ;D

I think I may just try this very soon.... if I do, I'll post pix for sure.

Make sure to tell your mom about your great memories, and how you enjoyed them,
that will surely make her day.

Mark

Yeah I remember fried pizza or "Pizza Frita" as my mom used to call it. We would take the pizza dough and pull off small pieces about an inch or so and drop them into the hot oil. In just a few seconds they were sizzling and floating to the top of the oil. Mom would scoop them out and drop them into small brown paper lunch bags that had been filled with sugar and cinnamon. We would shake them up in the bags and eat them right out of the bags. One of my most delicious childhood memories.  ;D

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 01:31:28 PM »
Sounds like a fried calzone almost...

Regardless of the name, it sounds delicious.

Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 02:05:20 PM »
Hi Dan,

a few nights ago I was watching the FoodTV network, and an Italian woman was making little doughnuts out of pizza dough. 

The guys at the Caputo stand were doing the same at the NY Pizza Show I believe.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline harp

• I Love Pizza! And am thinkin very serious about ma
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 04:08:32 PM »
Hi every1,
Im newbee an senior whos been in food bznss last 12yrs .Now im thnkn abt sellin pizzas .And makin my own from scratch or possibly buy crusts somewher ?
I wanted to let you'all know somthin I discovered 25yrs ago about makin donuts .I accidently dropped a canned bisquet (cheapest ones you can find in store) buttermilk ones are good ) into my deepfryer and noticed it was lookin lke a mini donut . I got it good an brown on both sides an then put cinnimon an sugar an boy! wer they ever good .So then I tried melting maple frosting in MW in small bowl about th size of mini donuts and using prongs I'd dip the Mini's into maple an Boy! they wer also good..Started selling them like hotcakes lol then started putting frosting I had bought at grocery store an putting on and on ..lol
They went very good with my espresso also

I now need all advice I can get ( at 66yrs. ) to try an make the best Pizza in Ky.USA  Just 1 good 1 combination preffered .
Harp

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 06:31:19 PM »

Today the kids seem to go nuts over those mexican churros. They are nowhere near as good as the pizza frita.

these are zeppoles...  some pizza shops in NYC have them... like 1.00 for 3, powdered sugar on top.  i wouldn't use higluten flour, i like to tone them down and have them more tender instead of fighting me when you bite into them and have to try and rip off a bite  by using bread flour or AP flour.

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 01:34:59 AM »
Another good thing is to put a hersheys kiss in the middle of some dough and deep fry it. OMG!!  :P

I love making zeppoles.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 09:30:33 AM »
Snowdy, damn it's so true that a picture is worth a thousand words !
thanks for posting that - man that looks awesome !
 ;D

Another good thing is to put a hersheys kiss in the middle of some dough and deep fry it. OMG!!  :P

I love making zeppoles.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 11:04:58 AM »
Ok guys, I'm taking a trip back about 15 years now.....

Way back in my very big party days, when I was living in Montreal,

hmmm does Montreal have PizzaPizza like Toronto?

I enjoy their pizza.  I usually tell them to well bake them...  a lot of toppings... more than NY places... and more quality ones than our national chain ones.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 05:03:09 PM »
Here is a more recent take on deep fried pizza: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2006/10/deepfried_pizza_3.php.

Peter

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 07:28:08 PM »
from the girls......A famous neapolitan pizzeria :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOSEd7ygUU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEOSEd7ygUU</a>
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 03:43:18 AM »

What?  Those are dough boys man.  :-)  Hasn't everyone heard of these?  In Maine they are as common as bad weather..

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 03:45:46 AM »
"Fried dough is also known as elephant (or oliphaunt) ears, whale tails, pizza frita, frying saucers, and in the case of smaller pieces, doughboys; these foods are virtually identical to each other, and recognizably different from other fried dough foods such as doughnuts, beignets, or fritters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_dough