Author Topic: I just picked up a few bricks of 16oz PollyO whole milk mozzarella...  (Read 884 times)

Offline Chaze215

Should I shred it or slice it? I do NY style in my oven on a stone with the temp @ 550 with a approximately 7 minute bake. Seems like when I have used preshredded cheese in the past, it would be overdone and the bottom was not. Let me know what you guys think!
PS...the only reason I picked this cheese up is that it was on sale for $1.99/lb. I thought that was a pretty good deal.
Chaz

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: I just picked up a few bricks of 16oz PollyO whole milk mozzarella...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
this cheese is pretty resistant to burning, but slicing or putting it under the sauce (or both) will prevent burning or drying out.    If you do shred it the largest shred possible avoids burning or drying out as well.  good luck!

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
Thanks for the insight scott. If it is sliced an placed on top of the sauce, does it tend to burn or dry out?
Chaz

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
it all depends on your oven, your temps, and your dough. The thing I would avoid would be a fine grated cheese on top.   Anything else should be an improvement over that.   

Offline mvd

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
I've used this cheese the last few bakes. I have found it works pretty well by first slicing it and then tearing the slices into chunks by hand. I originally did that out of laziness, but have found that seems to produce a result that is not overdone compared to shredding it. I am also using a home oven, but the temperature only goes up to 500 F, unfortunately.
Mike