Author Topic: ATK Sicilian Style  (Read 653 times)

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
ATK Sicilian Style
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »
I just saw the episode on their Sicilian pizza. Has any one ever tried it?

https://onedadskitchen.com/tag/cooks-illustrated-sicilian-pizza/

Here is a copy of their recipe that I found on the net.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: ATK Sicilian Style
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:09:28 PM »
I have not (yet) made it.  It is on my list.

FYI: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36487.msg363080#msg363080
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Pete in PG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:58:47 AM »
I saw it as well and will be making it on Friday.  I've tried several of their pizza recipes and their deep dish one is great imo.  The images of their Sicilian pizza looked fantastic!  We have an Italian restaurant/deli here in Carmel, CA that sells Sicilian pizza by the square and it'll be interesting to see how it compares to ATKs.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »
I saw it as well and will be making it on Friday.  I've tried several of their pizza recipes and their deep dish one is great imo.  The images of their Sicilian pizza looked fantastic!  We have an Italian restaurant/deli here in Carmel, CA that sells Sicilian pizza by the square and it'll be interesting to see how it compares to ATKs.

Which deli is that? (I am in Carmel a few days a year).
Mitch

Offline TonyRicci

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »
If anyone makes this pie, please post and pictures would be nice.   THANKS :D

Offline Pete in PG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:46 PM »
Which deli is that? (I am in Carmel a few days a year).

Hi Mitch; it's Salumeria Luca on Dolores St next to it's sister restaurant Cantinetta Luca - which has a great wood fired pizza stove btw.

Salumeria Luca is wonderful and carries fresh pasta and cheese along with wonderful assortments of ham and salami.  I like that they open at 8A and I can get in and out of Carmel easily at that early hour.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 06:36:57 PM »
Hi Mitch; it's Salumeria Luca on Dolores St next to it's sister restaurant Cantinetta Luca - which has a great wood fired pizza stove btw.

Salumeria Luca is wonderful and carries fresh pasta and cheese along with wonderful assortments of ham and salami.  I like that they open at 8A and I can get in and out of Carmel easily at that early hour.

Thanks, I know just the place(s)!  I have eaten in the Cantinetta (which I think is "OK") a few times but have only purchased gelato at the Salumeria.  I will keep that in mind for next time and might give the pizza a try. 

We often eat a few doors down at La Bicyclette - I love most of their food.  Pizza snob that I have become - of all things,  I think there pizza is good but nothing special but I really enjoy pretty much anything I have ordered there.  See the pic below - it hangs in our dining room.

If you have any favorite places, especially off the beaten track where I am likely to miss it, please let me know.

We always stay around the corner at the Cypress Inn because it allows dogs and is very nice.  They should rename Carmel "Dogtown"!

Mitch

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 11:01:40 PM »
This thread helped motivate me to give this recipe a try.  Rainy day today – so I did not want to make pizza in the WFO.  But it has been 2 weeks since I made pizza!  How is that for a good reason?!

I made the dough, sauce and toppings as closely as I could to the original recipe from Cooks Illustrated.  The only variations were:

-   we had a cheese emergency.  The mozzarella in the fridge was in there too long and had become yucky.  My wife ran out to the store and bought some Sargento shredded part skim – all they had.
-   We had run out of anchovies, which are in the sauce recipe.  I followed it otherwise but added a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce for good luck as a weak anchovy proxy.

I cold fermented the dough for about 30 hours (ATK says it should be 24-48).  The flour in the dough is a bit more than 50% semolina flour and it showed - very yellow colored dough.   The piece of paper in the first picture is plain white so you can see the dough color with color distortion as less of a concern.

The recipe calls for a process I had never use when making pizza (well, I did for Nick's no-fail) – a rolling pin!!!! (no gasping or frowning now).  Also, after the dough is rolled out and panned, it sits for an hour with another pan on top of the dough (with some plastic wrap in between) to weigh it down. 

Aside from an issue I had with the cheese, everything went without a hitch.  The cheese, being part skim started to brown/burn near the end and was a little on the dry side.  I knew this was likely to happen but I spaced out from checking the pie at about 15 minutes (the pizza cooks from 20-25 minutes).  Had I done so, I probably would have put a foil tent over the pie.   No worries though, despite the overly browned appearance, the taste was good and it did little to detract from the overall experience. 

We made ½ cheese pie and ½ cheese and salami.  You can see the difference in the part of the pie where the cheese was protected by the salami vs. not.

The bottom of the pie baked great and the top and bottom of the crust were quite balanced.  I baked the pizza in a cheap, black non-stick aluminum pan.

This dough was (a bit surprisingly) excellent – my wife said the word “delicious” about 5 times.  I was too busy eating to comment!  The texture was different than almost any pie I had previously made or bought – more cakelike in texture with a fairly tight crumb.  It had a little crunch on the outside but mostly dense and soft.   

We both made the same comment that the crust was somewhat similar to the crust on the focaccia from the Ligurian Bakery in San Francisco – see here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40182.msg400781#msg400781 .  Come to think of it, I think their crumb was pretty yellow.

The cooked sauce was very good.  I thought it might have had a bit too much red pepper flakes  - heck of a kick.   And, I missed out on the anchovies – who knows?

Despite all the weighing down, the dough rose very nicely and the height came out to about 1 1/8 inches.   I have not done the exact calculation but the thickness factor is approximately 0.16 or so.  [Addendum:  I worked out the math in detail - the TF is 0.168]

Conclusion – this is definitely a keeper.  We both thought the entire pie was excellent and we will be making it again.  The flavor and texture of the crumb was a fun change of pace.  I would use more cheese next time and certainly the right cheese.  Other than that, I doubt if I will change anything - Haha  >:D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:12:42 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Offline mudman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 12:21:20 AM »
Thanks for the detailed description. It really looks good, and makes me want to try it. In fact I will in the future. Thanks again!

Offline TonyRicci

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the info will be trying that pizza soon, again Thanks  ^^^

Offline TonyRicci

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
mitchjg   Don't have any idea of the place is still around or how it is now.  Back in the early 90's i was stationed on the USS Carl Vinson out of Alameda and ate MANY, MANY pizzas from Crolls in Alameda thought it was a very good pie :chef:

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »
mitchjg   Don't have any idea of the place is still around or how it is now.  Back in the early 90's i was stationed on the USS Carl Vinson out of Alameda and ate MANY, MANY pizzas from Crolls in Alameda thought it was a very good pie :chef:

They are still there.  I have driven past them many times on the way to the Shoreline Park - but have not eaten there.  Of all things, I tend to not eat pizza in restaurants.  I eat too much at home already!  The only time I do is if there is something I want to learn, etc.

Although they are still there, it sounds like it will not be for very long.  http://www.crollspizza.com/Home.html
They say the building owner is kicking them out (I suspect it is a rent dispute.  Some restaurants, including those here for a very long time, are folding up the tent because they cannot afford the rent increases and the minimum wage has gone up, too).

Addendum - I drove by today - I think they are already closed.....

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:26:42 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »
BTW:

A couple of notes from this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36487.msg363080#msg363080

1 Bill/SFNM had made this pizza after converting to sourdough.  He gave it the thumbs up.

2 Hotsawce observed that the crumb looked reminiscent of L&B Spumoni Gardens pies.  I found that interesting because on the ATK episode they visited and filmed people and pizza from L&B in the Sicilian Pizza TV episode.  They implied they were modeling after this style.
Mitch

Offline Pete in PG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
Thanks, I know just the place(s)!  I have eaten in the Cantinetta (which I think is "OK") a few times but have only purchased gelato at the Salumeria.  I will keep that in mind for next time and might give the pizza a try. 

We often eat a few doors down at La Bicyclette - I love most of their food.  Pizza snob that I have become - of all things,  I think there pizza is good but nothing special but I really enjoy pretty much anything I have ordered there.  See the pic below - it hangs in our dining room.

If you have any favorite places, especially off the beaten track where I am likely to miss it, please let me know.

We always stay around the corner at the Cypress Inn because it allows dogs and is very nice.  They should rename Carmel "Dogtown"!

That pic looks great and is a great representation of LB!  I've eaten there as well and it's good.  I have a few recommendations and some are well known now.  La Balena in Carmel is one of my favorite places to go - it's always busy too.  Ask Emmanuelle the owner to suggest a bottle or two of wine.  He always has some nicer lesser known Chiantis and Barolos that he enjoys sharing his knowledge of.  He's from Florence and the food is very typical Tuscan - a favorite of mine.  For very high end and perhaps my favorite restaurant, I go to Peppoli's at Spanish Bay.  Very expensive and this is a treat for my wife and I. 

I have my own WFO as I see that you do as well.  Nothing compares to making our own.  I also enjoy grilling and BBQing and have a variety of smokers and grills - I cook outdoors at least a couple times a week.

For really good seafood without the ambiance I can recommend two places - Seafood Harvest at the Crossroad in Carmel (not the one near the MB Aquarium).  Better quality and wider selection.  I went there for lunch on Saturday and they will prepare any fish items in their fresh fish case even if not on the menu.  They grilled Halibut cheeks and finished them scampi style - just wonderful.  Another place is a local's place called Monterey Fish House on Del Monte in Monterey.  Get reservations and also this is an excellent fish restaurant, but very low on ambiance.  A nicer ambiance is Fishwife in Pacific Grove; very good fish and a wine menu that is extremely reasonable.

I have been disappointed in finding any good beef/steak options on the Peninsula and will only order a steak at Peppoli's named above.  All others have been disappointing and I've tried many places many times.  That said, I'm dining next week at Montrio Bistro and may give their 40oz prime rib eye steak a try (with a friend).  The chef there is Tony Baker and he is outstanding.

The Cypress Inn is wonderful and very charming.  I rarely see Doris Day anymore in town - I think she's now in her early 90s. 

I also made ATK's Sicilian pizza this past weekend and I thought it was very nice.  My crust didn't brown as much as yours (or theirs) and I'm not sure why, but it still tasted great and had a nice flavor and chew.

Cheers!

wordpress