Author Topic: DS in ATX (Austin, TX)  (Read 329 times)

Offline MattCinatl

DS in ATX (Austin, TX)
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:03:52 AM »
After many failures at making a passable Detroit style pie, I finally had a breakthrough a couple of nights ago. Just thought I'd share.

Dough
I used PizzaHog's dough recipe (from reply #199 in the "Detroit Style - Buddy's or Shield's" thread)

Flour (100%): 273.04 g
Water (75%): 204.78 g
IDY (0.55%): 1.5 g
Salt (1.5%): 4.1 g
Total (177.05%): 483.42 g
TF = 0.1218

Note: I doubled it for 2 8x10 inch pizzas, but I didn't realize that the recipe was written for a 10x14 inch pan. I ended up removing about a third of the dough before transferring from bulk fermentation into the pans.

To make the dough I dissolved salt in water, mixed flour and yeast in mixing bowl on my KA, added water slowly until incorporated, and mixed on low for 8 minutes. I let the dough rest for 20 minutes before transferring into a greased bowl. I allowed the dough to ferment for 2 hours at room temperature (~76 degrees), punched it down, and then transferred to the pans that I greased with butter-flavored Crisco. I left the dough in the pans for another 4 hours.

Cheese
For the body of the pizza, I used equal parts whole milk mozzarella, brick, and mild white cheddar. For the edges, I grated extra sharp New York white cheddar on my microplane. I'm not sure how much cheese I used. Not only am I notoriously bad for not writing it down, but so much cheese seems to make it from the grater directly into my mouth.

Sauce
I drained a can of 6 in 1 tomatoes and heated them on medium low in a sauce pan. The drained tomatoes seemed too thick, so I added back some of the drained "juice," probably 2-3 tablespoons. I really like the flavor of 6 in 1's on their own, so besides a pinch of salt, pinch of pepper, and a pinch of sugar, I didn't really mess with them too much. I tried to cook them down a bit to soften some of the "chunkiness", which I love in Chicago style deep dish but seems out of place with DS.

Putting it All Together
To prepare the pizzas, I oiled my fingers and spread the dough out across the pan. I added the super-finely grated sharp cheddar first and pushed it to the edges of the pan. Then I added the main cheese blend. One of the pizzas got pepperoni (which I placed under the cheese) and sweet Italian sausage (which was on top of the cheese). Once they were dressed up, I baked them for about 15 minutes at 500 degrees F on the low rack in my oven. On the rack above I placed a sheet of aluminum foil, which was removed after about 10 minutes of baking. I took the pizzas out of the oven, removed them from the pan onto a cooling rack which did a good job of preserving the crunch. I added the racing stripes and a light dusting of oregano. The pizzas were gone about 5 minutes after that.

The pizzas had that great blend of crunchy edges and soft crumb. The flavor of the burnt cheese edges was sublime, almost like peanuty bacon (tasted like how it does at Via 313). I added a little bit too much sauce. The pizza was greasy, cheesy, and delicious. Can't wait to make more.

In the future I might lower the hydration rate a bit. At 75%, the dough was really hard to work with. I would also cook the pizzas a little bit longer and hotter. Some grated garlic might be a nice addition to the 6 in 1 sauce as well.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: DS in ATX
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
Looks really good!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: DS in ATX (Austin, TX)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
 ^^^

Matt, maybe you already know it but there is a companion thread to the Buddy's thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.0. The continuation of the DS style of pizza starts at around Reply 28 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg219451#msg219451 although the posts leading up to that one are also informative.

Peter

Offline MattCinatl

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
Thanks guys.

I'll have to check out that thread, I hadn't come across it before.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »
That pizza looks and sounds really, really dangerously good Matt...I sure wish you had posted more pics of it. 

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"