Author Topic: First try at a Sicilian  (Read 247 times)

Offline PizzaPI

• I Love Pizza!
First try at a Sicilian
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:12 PM »
I had a bit of a problem stretching out the dough to fit the pan. I think it might have still been a bit cool. Maybe I didn't kneed it enough.. Anyway it was still good.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: First try at a Sicilian
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:35:33 PM »
I had a bit of a problem stretching out the dough to fit the pan. I think it might have still been a bit cool. Maybe I didn't kneed it enough.. Anyway it was still good.

When making a Sicilian pie, you often have to stretch more than once to spread the dough out to the whole pan.  Stretch it out as reasonably as you can without being forceful to the dough.  You do not want to tear it or have unevenness.  And, if you stretch too much, it can just snap back on you like rubber bands.  Maybe it covers only 70% of the pan.

Wait 10 or 15 minutes, then go at again.  Maybe it covers 90% of the pan.

Wait 10 or 15 minutes and go at it again.  Usually done by then.

To stretch it out, I tend to do it by "dimpling", like a focaccia.  Oil your hands a little bit and, using your fingertips. push down and spread the dough.  Sort of a fast motion where you keep moving and dimpling the dough.  It helps make it nice and even because you can feel the low spots and high spots and dimple/spread more on the high spots, etc.

if your kitchen is cold, you can put the tray in your oven with the light on and the oven off.  I turn my oven on and when the burners start, I let it go for 20 seconds and then shut the oven off.  That raises my oven temperature by 7 to 10 degrees above room temperature.  Putting in the oven between stretching session just helps it speed up a bit.

Good luck!
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans