Author Topic: Craig's Detroit Pizza  (Read 23117 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Craig's Detroit Pizza
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
A special thanks to Zane of VIA 313 for introducing me to the siren song of this terribly unhealthy yet incredibly delicious style.

100% KABF
80% HR
3% evoo
2% salt
2% Ischia culture

18 hours at 75F in bulk + another 6 in the pans. I had to help the dough into the corners a little. Next time, I'll go 12 hours in the pans. 325g dough/pan.  I'll probably use 300g next time.

Baked at 550F (I didn't time them) in 8x10 seasoned blue steel pans I got from Detroit Style Pizza Co. The difference in browning of the cheese edge between the two pies is that the cheese on the edge of the fig, prosciutto, balsamic glaze pie was white cheddar (mozz + a little blue in the center), and the cheese on edge of the the sausage and onion pie was brick (a very soft, mild brick - but the only one I could find).

Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Detroit Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
More
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
Craig, really nice!  I noticed that the dough is pretty much the same for both (teglia and Detroit) but the crumb of the Detroit does not have the larger holes as the Teglia.  Where would you attribute the difference in the crumb structure of the two pies?  Did you mix/knead the other longer? 

Thanks!

Marlon

Offline timell

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »
Very nice indeed.  Now I'm hungry.

So, how did they compare to Via313? 
Did you achieve what you were looking for?  crunch, lightness of crust,
What characteristics that you were able to and not able to recreate?

I guess this is my inspiration that I need to work a little harder on my Detroit pizzas.  (it's been stuck in my head for the past two weeks)
My latest attempts at cloning Via313 pizza have been to drive with the family to E. 6th street and order pies at the trailer window.
Two visits, five outstanding pizzas.  Thanks Zane and crew.

Craig, Keep the pictures coming,

Tim

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »
Craig, really nice!  I noticed that the dough is pretty much the same for both (teglia and Detroit) but the crumb of the Detroit does not have the larger holes as the Teglia.  Where would you attribute the difference in the crumb structure of the two pies?  Did you mix/knead the other longer?  

Thanks Marlon. You could say they are pretty much the same - they are from the exact same batch. Only two differences I can think of: the Detroit dough was allowed to rise in the pan (I would tend to think this would lead to larger holes?), and the Detroit was baket with a lot more weight on top of it. The teglia was baked naked. The thickness factor was identical with each at 0.63g/cm2 (0.143 oz/in2). The bite was similar between the two.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:10:03 PM »
Heavenly visions of awesome mouth-watering goodness! What else can I say? ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
Very nice indeed.  Now I'm hungry.

So, how did they compare to Via313? 
Did you achieve what you were looking for?  crunch, lightness of crust,
What characteristics that you were able to and not able to recreate?

I guess this is my inspiration that I need to work a little harder on my Detroit pizzas.  (it's been stuck in my head for the past two weeks)
My latest attempts at cloning Via313 pizza have been to drive with the family to E. 6th street and order pies at the trailer window.
Two visits, five outstanding pizzas.  Thanks Zane and crew.

Craig, Keep the pictures coming,

Tim

Thanks Tim. Other than that mine was a little thicker. I'd say the first was nearly identical to VIA 313. The cheese not browning on the second hurt it a little. I'm completely happy with the performance of KABF. I don't think there is any reason for me to search out bromated flour. Perhaps using SD helped get to the same place?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Heavenly visions of awesome mouth-watering goodness! What else can I say? ;D

Thanks Steve. This style is too good for my good.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Skee

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
Great looking pies!  Care to provide a little detail on how you mixed the dough?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
Great looking pies!  Care to provide a little detail on how you mixed the dough?

Thanks. Sure. I dissolved the salt and then the culture into the water (~37F) and frothed it with a whisk. I then added the oil and briefly mixed with the whisk. I added all the flour and mixed by hand until it was basically wet then let it rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. I mixed the dough with an old KA with the dough hook at speed 2 with some brief intervals to speed 3 until it was smooth and starting to show some gluten development. I gave it 4 or 5 rounds of folds (maybe 4 or 5 folds each) over the course of the next 5 hours then let it rest.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Skee

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:05:55 PM »
Thanks for the dough details - going to have to figure out to work that into my schedule somehow (usually make dough the night before or in the AM, go to work, come home and pan it up, then proof it in a warm oven to get it cooked by ~7:00).  Or maybe just make it on the weekend.

Phar Lap

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
Craig,

Wow factorx10...nice work!

Adam

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
Craig,

I am really loving your Detroit style pizza.  One of my favorites.  Great job!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
Craig,

I am really loving your Detroit style pizza.  One of my favorites.  Great job!  :)

Norma

Thank you! It's pretty tasty.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »
Now you're talk'in young man....as with all your work....awesome, simply delicious looking pizza!!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
Now you're talk'in young man....as with all your work....awesome, simply delicious looking pizza!!   :chef:

Thanks Bob. I was a little dissapointed with the lack of browning on the brick cheese on that one, but it was still good. Pepperoni next time! And no more brick cheese.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 11:52:03 PM »
King Midas! That looks incredible!

Do you just not post your fails or does everything you do turn out awesome?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 12:21:42 AM »
King Midas! That looks incredible!

Do you just not post your fails or does everything you do turn out awesome?
You answered your own question sir....this is King Midas....not Midas muffler shop man !!   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
Psst!  (Looks around in a shady fashion)  Need more Crisco, Buddy.

They look great, but I would probably sub peanut oil for the EVOO and generously douse the pan with butter-flavored Crisco.  Brick is hard to find in Texas, especially a little sharper one.  Face it, they are not going to win you any awards from your heart doctor regardless, may as well go all in.

I had their pepper special ("Hand pinched Italian sausage with diced red, orange and green peppers") this weekend, but I made them throw some japs on it too.  Damn it was good.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Psst!  (Looks around in a shady fashion)  Need more Crisco, Buddy.

They look great, but I would probably sub peanut oil for the EVOO and generously douse the pan with butter-flavored Crisco.  Brick is hard to find in Texas, especially a little sharper one.  Face it, they are not going to win you any awards from your heart doctor regardless, may as well go all in.

I had their pepper special ("Hand pinched Italian sausage with diced red, orange and green peppers") this weekend, but I made them throw some japs on it too.  Damn it was good.

Thanks Tom. I think you're right on the oil. I did use butter flavored Crisco. I really liked cheddar on the edges.

Pizza is not bread.