Author Topic: Craig's Detroit Pizza  (Read 15262 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Detroit Pizza
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
Are the racing stripes VIA313 only, or applicable to this style universally?

John

From the pictures I've seen, there must be others doing stripes as well, but it's clearly not the only way. Personally, I love the stripes. I also really like the warm sauce added at the end and not baked on the pie.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
Are the racing stripes VIA313 only, or applicable to this style universally?

John,

I've looked at quite a few photos and I would say that the racing stripes are very common but maybe not universal. When used, it is generally two stripes for a 4-square pizza and three stripes for an 8-square pizza. You can see the stripes best for the cheese and cheese and pepperoni pizzas (where the pepperoni slices are under the cheese). Things get messier when a lot of toppings are put on the pizza. The Via 33 stripes are quite neat and well defined. Some stripes are less neat especially when formed by putting dollops of sauce on the pizza, such as shown, for example, in the photo of a Buddy's pizza at http://bp0.blogger.com/__XShj91sMpw/RlJCGZFbuCI/AAAAAAAAAk4/jIeRhr1ub-U/s1600-h/redwings_5.JPG. Some people complain that they don't like the stripes because they want some sauce in every bite. Others like them because each bite can be different.

Peter

Offline 3.14 Guy

• THIS GUY loves great pizza!
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Craig, You mentioned that the pan was from Detroit Style Pizza Co??  I live literally 2 miles from there; does he sell his pans?

I know that the owner recently re-opened it as his own place, as it was Cloverleaf.  It's one of my favorite pizza places, but we only get it seldomly due to price (big family to feed).

I'm trying to find a great Detroit recipe for home and even went as far as taking a picture from the lobby of DSPC that is a Detroit News or Free Press article with a "detroit" style dough recipe from the 80s.  Mine didn't turn out too well.

Anyways, great pics.  Keep the info coming!!
Making great pizza, outstanding beer and fantastic BBQ.  This is my passion!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »
Craig, You mentioned that the pan was from Detroit Style Pizza Co??  I live literally 2 miles from there; does he sell his pans?

I know that the owner recently re-opened it as his own place, as it was Cloverleaf.  It's one of my favorite pizza places, but we only get it seldomly due to price (big family to feed).

I'm trying to find a great Detroit recipe for home and even went as far as taking a picture from the lobby of DSPC that is a Detroit News or Free Press article with a "detroit" style dough recipe from the 80s.  Mine didn't turn out too well.

Anyways, great pics.  Keep the info coming!!

Yes - from their website. I posted the link in here someplace I think.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 11:31:57 PM »

Yes - from their website. I posted the link in here someplace I think.

http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/

I recently ordered some but haven't received them yet.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »
http://detroitstylepizza.co/detroit-style-pizza-pans/

I recently ordered some but haven't received them yet.

I did also.  I just looked at my paypal account and it looks like I ordered on the 18th.  I received an email yesterday saying they shipped but the tracking only shows "electronic shipping info received"   so doesn't look like I'll have for this weekend.....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:47 PM »
For today's pies, I cut the HR back to 70% and the dough ball down to 270g. The family consensus was 80% and 300g was better even if not particularly DS.

100% KABF
70% water
3% vegetable oil
2% salt
2% Ischia culture

20 hours total at about 71F. About the last 6 hours in the pan. Baked at 475F for about 13-14 minutes.

The pie with jalapenos had a layer of applewood smoked bacon between layers of cheese and was one of the finest tasting pies I've ever baked.

Still seeking darker edges. I tried less Crisco on the edges as Tom suggested, but it didn't seem to make much difference. I could certainly see the effects of the lower oven temp on the sides and bottom of the pies which were much lighter than before.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »
More:

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »
Those look mahvelous!  The Brothers, being GDY are afraid to put the Japs to their pies, they forget where they are now.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
Those look mahvelous!  The Brothers, being GDY are afraid to put the Japs to their pies, they forget where they are now.

Thanks Tom. I thought jalapenos and bacon was good on NP - on DS, it's even better!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
1) The crumb seems a bit tighter than before, is it still as tender?
2) The cheese brownitization looks stellar, new blend, or new method?
3) Killer looking pies, no lies. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2012, 10:16:58 PM »
1) The crumb seems a bit tighter than before, is it still as tender?
2) The cheese brownitization looks stellar, new blend, or new method?
3) Killer looking pies, no lies. :chef:

Thanks Gene.

1) Yes, a little tighter, but just as tender. I think it was tighter because of the lower hydration and the cooler room temp (not quite as risen).
2) Different cheese and less grease like Tom suggested. Last time the cheese around the edge was the HEB artisan white cheddar from the deli section. This time it was HEB extra sharp white cheddar from the regular cheese section. It was half the cost, and I liked it better. How about that?
3)  ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
That pizza has an awesome look to it and the crumb begs you to bite it. I know you are looking for more cheese/crust char...but boy, this appears quite proper Craig.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »
Thanks Bob. Yes, it's kind of become a personal thing between me and the crust.  >:(

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
Craig,

Very nice, as usual.

Now that you have acclimatized to the Detroit style, with your personalized spin on it, have you come to any conclusions as to that style as compared with the other styles you have had?

Peter

Offline Ev

« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:50 PM »
Awesome pies Craig! Any thoughts of trying these in the wfo, at a lower temp, of course?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
I prepped my WFO oven for Zane to cook DS at the Driveway Throwdown, but he only did one in it then used the kitchen oven.  Although it worked fine, my door is a PIA and you can't keep an eye on the pie like you can in the kitchen.  It is a delicate dance to get the WFO to 550 degrees within a small time window anyway.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
Craig,

Very nice, as usual.

Now that you have acclimatized to the Detroit style, with your personalized spin on it, have you come to any conclusions as to that style as compared with the other styles you have had?

Peter

Thank you Peter. It's interesting because I've never liked any sort of thick crust pizza before. I've always loved crispy cheese however. I love to crisp cheese in a skillet and eat it like a cracker. Sometimes I throw in diced salted jalapenos too. It's more than that though. I've come to appreciate the Pizzarium style as well. I guess it's more about thin toppings for me than thin crust. I can't stand deep dish. Even when I lived in Chicago, I couldn't stomach it.

CL

Offline Ev

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »
I prepped my WFO oven for Zane to cook DS at the Driveway Throwdown, but he only did one in it then used the kitchen oven.  Although it worked fine, my door is a PIA and you can't keep an eye on the pie like you can in the kitchen.  It is a delicate dance to get the WFO to 550 degrees within a small time window anyway.

Thanks Tom,
 I've been thinking about this for a while. I know what you mean about the "delicate dance"
 I may have to try this style in the camper one of these days.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »
Craig,

Your Detroit-style pizzas look devine.  ;D I really like your choice of dressings.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan