Author Topic: Craig's Detroit Pizza  (Read 21492 times)

Offline Skee

Re: Craig's Detroit Pizza
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
Last time the cheese around the edge was the HEB artisan white cheddar from the deli section. This time it was HEB extra sharp white cheddar from the regular cheese section. It was half the cost, and I liked it better. How about that?
I agree - the "artisan" cheddar is disappointing, kind of chalky with little sharp character.

DS is looking good!  I'm always surprised at how many pizzerias don't use jalapenos, at least in Texas.  Last time I was at Home Slice they didn't offer them (said "they don't use jalapenos in New York so we don't have either"), haven't been back since.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:18:18 PM by Skee »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what distinguishes Detroit-style from other Sicilian-style? Is it the browned cheese around the edges or something else?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what distinguishes Detroit-style from other Sicilian-style? Is it the browned cheese around the edges or something else?

I would agree that is a defining characteristic of the style.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
And the sauce racing stripes are not usually seen on a Sicilian....most Detroiters have 'em.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Skee

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
I would agree that is a defining characteristic of the style.
And so incredibly yummy too!  The corner pieces are the first to go in my house (I cut the 8x10s into six or eight slices and the 10x14 in 12ths, so there's some slices with only a strip of cheese crust).

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 06:12:30 PM »
And so incredibly yummy too!  The corner pieces are the first to go in my house (I cut the 8x10s into six or eight slices and the 10x14 in 12ths, so there's some slices with only a strip of cheese crust).

I went with all 8x10 pans specifically to maximize the cheese crust/pizza area ratio.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Skee

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
I went with all 8x10 pans specifically to maximize the cheese crust/pizza area ratio.
Yeah, I haven't used the bigger ones but a couple of times with company.  Planning on using them this weekend, but I'll have my eye on the corner pieces for my plate.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »

Craig,

Strategically, it seems that the Hunt boys at Via 313 have concentrated on the 8" x 10" 4-square size, maybe for the very reason you mentioned. I can't tell you how many times I have read reviews on the Detroit style pizzas made in 8" x 10" pans where the diners said, "Gee, the pizza is small". But after eating two slices, especially with a few toppings, they were full. I have also read reports where people buy two 4-square pizzas rather than one 8-square pizza.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Craig,

Strategically, it seems that the Hunt boys at Via 313 have concentrated on the 8" x 10" 4-square size, maybe for the very reason you mentioned. I can't tell you how many times I have read reviews on the Detroit style pizzas made in 8" x 10" pans where the diners said, "Gee, the pizza is small". But after eating two slices, especially with a few toppings, they were full. I have also read reports where people buy two 4-square pizzas rather than one 8-square pizza.

Peter

Zane told me he gets a fair number of people who say the pizza is small.

When you look at what goes into it, it's not small as you noted.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2012, 06:49:05 PM »
Now ya tell me. I just got my pans in the mail today. I ordered the 10x14's. I was wondering how you were only using a 270g dough ball.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »
Craig,

I recently went back to the Via 313 Saveur video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nFthReFgxxA and for the first time stumbled across a couple of things that I had missed before about the cheeses that Via 313 uses. Specifically, starting at around 1:26, the narrator of the video, Neil, talks about "a secret blend of two cheeses, one of which is spread along the sides of the pan to create a crispy cheesy crust." Assuming that Neil stated the matter correctly, this would seem to suggest that there is a combination (a mixture) of the two cheeses and also a separate source of the cheese that is spread along the sides of the pan. I realize that in preparing videos, some production values are involved that may result in a portrayal that is not entirely correct or accurate, but the cheese that is spread along the sides of the pan clearly appears to be shredded, whereas the cheese (presumably a blend of the two cheeses) that ends up in the middle area of the pizza appears to be diced, as can most clearly be seen at 1:49 in the video. All of this makes me wonder whether using shredded cheese along the sides of the pan is a better way to create the crispy cheesy crust and maybe has better thermodynamics for creating the crispy cheese than would diced cheese. Also, having two forms of the cheese, shredded and diced, reduces the likelihood of error in assembling the pizzas.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
Yep, folks love that crust...I believe Jets even offers a large size pie(more than 4 slices) but ALL of the slices are corners.  :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
Yep, folks love that crust...I believe Jets even offers a large size pie(more than 4 slices) but ALL of the slices are corners.  :chef:

Bob,

That is correct. The pizza is called the 8 Corner Pizza: http://jetspizza.com/menu/pizza. However, Jet's does not characterize its square pizzas as Detroit style pizzas. The pizza is assembled in the traditional way starting with the dough, then a layer of sauce followed by the cheese (shredded Grande low moisture, part skim mozzarella), and, for a pepperoni pizza, the pepperoni is put on top of the cheese, not under it. Also, there are no sauce racing stripes. They do use the same pans, however, and their dough preparation and management is similar to what Buddy's does.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Peter. I see that Jets Pizza hails from Sterling Heights, Michigan. For being so close to Detroit(approx.45 miles)they sure put a twist on the Detroit style of pies being discussed here. Craig's dough is awesome and it makes me wonder if I should even bother with the newly opened Jets now available here in Raleigh, NC.  :(

Offline Skee

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
All of this makes me wonder whether using shredded cheese along the sides of the pan is a better way to create the crispy cheesy crust and maybe has better thermodynamics for creating the crispy cheese than would diced cheese. Also, having two forms of the cheese, shredded and diced, reduces the likelihood of error in assembling the pizzas.
I have been using shredded only, sides and tops, but after looking at Norma's pics of the frozen Buddy's with the diced cheese on top, I was planning on using shredded cheddar on the edge and a mix of cubed cheddar and mozzarella on top for the next run in an attempt to increase the oven temp a little (for a crispier crust) without over-cooking the top.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2012, 11:50:41 AM »
All of this makes me wonder whether using shredded cheese along the sides of the pan is a better way to create the crispy cheesy crust and maybe has better thermodynamics for creating the crispy cheese than would diced cheese. Also, having two forms of the cheese, shredded and diced, reduces the likelihood of error in assembling the pizzas.

This is the only way I've tried it. It makes sense. the thinner strips should melt faster, and the sooner they melt, the sooner they can get to browning.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »
The pies in the last set of pictures is shredded cheddar around the edge and mostly shredded mozz in the middle. I put the mozz up to the edges (lightly on the edge), so there is a little mozz sitting on top of the cheddar at the edge. I also sprinkled a little cheddar over the mozz in the center (maybe 20% of the total cheese in the center), but they were not pre-mixed. 
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
Craig, your latest DS pies look great.  You've motivated me to make a SicillianDS hybrid for dinner.   I don't have a proper steel pan so I'll be using my deep cast iron pan.  This may have already been covered, but do you think the crustiness of the cheese is a result of contact with the side walls of the hot pan?

Also you aren't using any sauce between the dough and cheese right?

Chau  

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
This is the only way I've tried it. It makes sense. the thinner strips should melt faster, and the sooner they melt, the sooner they can get to browning.
Craig,

If you go back to the Saveur 313 video again, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nFthReFgxxA, and this time look at the cheese arrangement at 1:49, you will see that it's shredded cheese on the edges and diced in the middle.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2012, 12:44:32 PM »
Craig, your latest DS pies look great.  You've motivated me to make a SicillianDS hybrid for dinner.   I don't have a proper steel pan so I'll be using my deep cast iron pan.  This may have already been covered, but do you think the crustiness of the cheese is a result of contact with the side walls of the hot pan?

Also you aren't using any sauce between the dough and cheese right?

Chau  

Thanks Chau,

Yes, for sure the cheese crust is from contact with the pan. I think the thin steel pans work well because they heat pretty fast and go to work on the cheese. Thin dark aluminium may work better, but I have no idea where to find such a thing. Cast iron might not work well as it will take some time to heat.

Correct, no sauce between the dough and cheese.

CL
Pizza is not bread.