Author Topic: Veterans Day NY Pizza Bake  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Pizza De Puta

Veterans Day NY Pizza Bake
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »
Waited all week for my day off, just to make pizzas.  Here are a couple of my 18" pies.
RE

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Veterans Day NY Pizza Bake
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
Wow- that really looks like a NYer from my youth.  Way to go man!  Bring back the old style pie!

From the crust color, it looks like it cooked longer and got crispier.  Was that the case?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:02 PM »
Yes, Pizzaneer, I turned the heat down 40 degrees and cooked for about 5:30.  No sugar in the dough and just 1% oil.  750g dough ball using straight Power at 63%.  Tips stayed fairly firm this time.  We ended up serving five pies and simulated by-the-slice sales.  Our guests simply chose which type of slice they wanted and the slice was was reheated in the oven for 2 minutes.  SUPER crispy.  Got several "best-I've-ever-had" compliments, one "best within a thousand miles" mention also.  Of course, they were eating free pizza so that might have altered their objectivity.   :-\

Once we open we'll have to train our California customers that reheated slices are awesome and not simply "warmed-over".  If we can accomplish this, we should kill at $4.00 for a slice and a Coke.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:57:16 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline jever4321

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Those look awesome!
-Jay

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
I really like the pepperoni pie. I can't tell the topping on the second pie. I know I must have asked before, but where in Cali are you going to, Open?

Great times were had by all!!!!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »
I would travel to Cali and sleep on your porch under the oven just waiting for the pizza... like a creepy pizza stalker.  I think, no, I KNOW you are ready to open.  You could have a hole in the wall place with drive-thru pickup and you would have far more business than you could handle.

Give us the name of your business so we can watch the news, please.

Brian

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys, our pizzas are definitely a work in progress.  We plan to open in the Modesto area but we'll either need the economy to turn around (not bloody likely after last week), or we'll need to find an investor for the real estate, so we could literally still be many years away, if ever.  

We are doing a number of charity/civic group events as word slowly spreads that they can get free pizza delivered, so that is keeping the oven exercised.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:41:43 AM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
I would help you open your pizza place if you were in southern california instead of the modesto area. I have the money, just scared to jump without experience. I know the failure rates.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
Hmm. Sounds like a good time to explore venture capital.  You already have the accolades of the foremost pizza forum on the web (with all respect to PMQ)... what you should be exploring are hard numbers on properties & equipment, health regulations, any help/guidance by local chamber of commerce, the small business administration in your state, etc.

Where there is a will, there is a way. You have made it this far, and have done so in incredible style. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 11:13:55 PM »
I would help you open your pizza place if you were in southern california instead of the modesto area. I have the money, just scared to jump without experience. I know the failure rates.

Modesto... SoCal ..... Not that far away! besides investments make money depending on many factors.
Hope this venture makes millions!!!!!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 11:48:56 PM »
Very nice! What sort of pepperoni is that?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
Modesto is a bit of a misnomer.  The plan is to be in a small town east of there, essentially in the narrowing funnel that is the road to Yosemite.  There is a 20K local population and about 20-25K cars filled with tourists driving by daily.  An old, boarded-up KFC is currently available (KFC moved to a new, larger building down the street) but this empty 1800sf restaurant erected in 1987 is in an awesome spot with parking for twenty, a drive-thru, and a nice, big sign. It needs some work but the owner is motivated to sell, asking $369K but he'd take much less, I'd wager.  Since the banks aren't lending, it's a cash proposition.

The pepperoni in the pic shown is Molinari Brand.  It is made by a shop in San Fran and sold here in local markets (O'Briens).  It is exceptionally smooth and refined, where most pepperoni I've tried is quite harsh. This Molinari pepperoni is easily the best I've tried.  I steal slices off the stick throughout the week when I pass the frig.  One bite and the quality is obvious, "Umm, that's good stuff."  It's about $7 a chub and it makes two 18" pizzas.

Thanks for the kudos, guys!   :D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:54:44 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline gorbachevguy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »
Oakdale?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:20:13 PM by gorbachevguy »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »
Modesto is a bit of a misnomer.  The plan is to be in a small town east of there, essentially in the narrowing funnel that is the road to Yosemite.  There is a 20K local population and about 20-25K cars filled with tourists driving by daily.  An old, boarded-up KFC is currently available (KFC moved to a new, larger building down the street) but this empty 1800sf restaurant erected in 1987 is in an awesome spot with parking for twenty, a drive-thru, and a nice, big sign. It needs some work but the owner is motivated to sell, asking $369K but he'd take much less, I'd wager.  Since the banks aren't lending, it's a cash proposition.

Seems like a cool setup. I wish I was closer. I dream of slaving day in and day out making pizza, but to also risk taking a huge paycut, and having no experience and no connections, scary.

pizzapan