Author Topic: First time build of Neo Oven Complete Packager from Breadstone Ovens  (Read 3758 times)

Offline danxmanly

So after lurking a few months on this thread and accepting the advice of a few members.. I finally did it.  Ordered my Neo oven from Breadstone Ovens.. more importantly.. ordered it from Antoine who helped me tremendously both pre-sales, and continued post sales as I build it.  This oven's main purpose in life is to give me a reason to drink more wine. ;-)  Ok, so it's real "cooking" purpose is for Neo Pizzas.. lots of them.  I ordered the complete system from Antoine that includes the insulated oven door as well so I will be able to bake some bread, etc... but no turkeys will ever fit inside this small oven so if you're looking for that.. step up to the next size. 

I'm posting a few pics.. and comments as I continue the build. And am asking for any input as I finalize the build.

Right now I'm in a holding pattern as weather has gotten rainy, and work as got in the way!  I have one more layer of vermiculite to apply, then the final weather proof coat to cover it all as this oven will be exposed to the elements for now.  ( might consider a small roof to build over it later )  My vermiculite layer has been in a 10:1 ratio with a masonry mix to help hold form and so far it is holding form, albeit it looks as if I were to hit it really hard chunks of it may shear off like an iceberg.  I am planning on increasing the mix to 5:1 on the last top coat of vermiculite, then add a ckn wire form before I apply the final masonry coat.  For that coat it is basically a weather proof "stucco" like mix with an acrylic fortifier.  At that time I will add my color mix to that batch and hopefully be able to cook shortly after that!  :-)

I welcome any questions, comments or suggestions.  This forum has been a great help to me.. so I hope I can return the favor.  And again, can't say enough about Antoine @ Breadstone ovens for all his help and support!  Highly recommend!

First pic is of the frame for the slab I poured for my oven that will support the stand.  Big hole dug in middle helps anchor slab once concrete is poured.
Second pic is of the slab itself.
Third is of assembled stand and oven with layers of insulated blanket
Fourth is one layer of vermiculite on top of wire frame over insulated blanket.

Offline Chaze215

Re: First time build of Neo Oven Complete Packager from Breadstone Ovens
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:44:31 PM »
Thats looking pretty good dan! How difficult has this process been so far? I have thought about ordering one of these complete systems, but im a little apprehensive that I might screw something up and would be pissed off for a looooong time...lol I look forward to seeing some pizza and bread coming from that puppy soon!
Chaz

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the kind comments  :-[
It is looking really good.
Looking at the color of the vermiculite mix, you definitely need to increase you Portland cement ratio. 1/5 is what I recommend.
Also if you can wrap some of the ceramic fiber blanket around the flue connector and hold into place with chicken wire. Then put the vermiculite mix over it, that will prevent some cracking right around the chimney connector.

Looking forward to some pictures of your first pies.

WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »
Congrats its lookin for some cookin soon ! !
looks great !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »
Greetings Antoine,

I will indeed bump up the mixture to 5:1 ratio on final layer.  I did get one section of the vermiculite with that ratio on the back side of the oven before I had to put the project on hold and it does appear to be holding much, much better. 

Thanks for the advice on wrapping the ceramic blanket around the flue connector.  That can still be easily done at this point in time.

For Chaze215.. it's been fairly easy with the build.  Hardest part was pouring the slab...so far.   So if you already have a nice patio for the stand to sit on, you'll be good to go.  It's definitely a two person job in lifting the base and dome on to the top of the stand.  I became a little frustrated in working with the vermiculite insulation and its "dryness".. but as Antoine chimed in, it doesn't appear I've been mixing enough portland mix into it.  I'll increase that on the next layer and it should hold form better for the "stucco" type finish to be applied on top.

Hopefully I can put the last layer of verm on tomorrow, let it dry a day, then form up the ckn wire to hold it all together and start the small / low temp curing fires to dry out the moisture.  Will do that a few days, then put the stucco on, and be ready for Thanksgiving Pizza!  ;-)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »
Best wishes! What size bird, to fit in that oven?
Wow , I love the step by step, with pics. YIPEEEEEEEE

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »
One step closer...

Another layer of vermiculite on.  Anchored ckn wire around the edge of stand to pull over dome before I apply final weatherproof coat.  Per Antoine @ Breadstone Ovens I did wrap some insulation around the flue to help  keep the heat away from the final weatherproof layer and prevent cracking.

One more layer of vermiculite.. mainly on sides to shape the igloo properly.. then a day of drying and some "curing" fires before the final coat.. then PIZZA shortly thereafter!

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
Was able to get a last layer of vermiculite on early today... let it dry throughout the day.. so started my first small fire this afternoon.  Per instructions I am not supposed to let the dome temp rise above 150 F and try and keep fire going for 7 hours... started at 5 and opened up some wine which there's no way it's gonna last till midnight!  ;-)  I've been stoking fires to get dome temp up to about 150, then putting the insulated door on, shutting the flue and waiting an hour.  Temp still is about 125 when I open it and that's with a 48 degree ambient outside, then I repeat the process.  Think this thing may hold some heat once I really crank it up!  I'll gradually increase the temps over the next few days to drive out whatever remaining moisture is in the dome.. then apply the weatherproof stucco.. then pizza!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »
Houston...we have a 'lil fire. Man that is a pretty pic Danno...congratulations dude. Great build.. :chef:.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »
Well... it's done! Schedule was a little hectic over the last couple of weeks, plus had a little hiccup in working with the masonry finish provided with the oven.  Never could get it to form right.. either too much, or not enough water, who knows, but it just wouldn't hold form as I worked it up the sides of the dome.  ( I know others got the same finish to work.. so I'm sure it was me. )  So I ended up going with a stucco base coat, then let it cure few days, then applied a stucco finish coat with an acrylic fortifier and a grey color mix.  All in all.. about $40.00 in material and I'm very pleased with the way it came out.  As a little extra touch, I added some deco tile over the arch to hide the original terracotta finish.  I used a high temp mortar mix / grout.. then sealed it.  From my prefires of the oven , the arch never really got that hot so I'm not to worried about the higher temps messing with the tile.

And with all that said, I haven't had time to even cook on it yet.. but will this Saturday so hopefully some nice pics of some pies will be next.  Now the tough part... what kind of pizza should I burn first?! ;-)

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 07:46:37 AM »
Your oven is looking really good there Danny. I look forward to seeing some pies.

Antoine

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
Cook whatever kind of pizza you like best for sure !
If your asking what the oven is best for  for Neapolitan please  :P
I love the oven and the finish is awesome I think the finish should hold up fine on the arch and its great for everyone to see it can be modified if they are not a fan of the brick arch.
anxiously awaiting !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »
That's a really nice little oven you have there.  :D

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
Boy that sure finished out nicely....handsome 'lil oven, congratulations!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 11:11:47 PM »
So these are pics of my second firing of the oven to actually cook something.  The first firing a week or so ago was so chaotic with 5 hungry guys around that I couldn't even attempt to take any decent photos even though the pies came out decent... but I do like these better.

Sum'd up... they are pics of an Italian Sausage pie and a Pepperoni / Italian Sausage pie.

Over floor was at about 700 F when I plopped them down on the stone... dome was around 900.  Coals were off to the side with a nice small flame kissing the dome as it rolled across the top.  Didn't have to "dome" the pies at all as this oven height isn't that tall and I believe the top of my pies are just fine.

Dough was pretty much standard mix I've seen on a few sites- 2 cups Caputo flour, 3/4 cup water, teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of dry active yeast, and a splash of olive oil.  I made my dough in a bread machine and it seemed to do ok... but I wouldn't try and make anything larger in it as it would struggle.   ( Santa... can you bring me a bad arse kitchenaide mixer with dough hook please? )  I punched it down after about an hour of rising, then let it go another hour or so before I flattened them out.

Overall... very pleased with the results.  Still so much to learn on perfecting my "timing" techniques and holy crap,  kitchen clean up is a chore! LOL  But worth it!

Cheers!

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »
Pizzas look great, took me much longer than 2 tries to get to that result when I first started. You are a natural! :-D

Offline danxmanly

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
Thanks Antoine!  Hardest part out of all this "adventure" so far... getting the dough mixture right.  First attempts the pies came out more "bread like".  Albeit they still tasted great!  Will try a few more variations and start researching more in this forum about dough.

Again, I appreciate all your help, both pre-sales and post-sales, to allow me to get this project off the ground and completed!  Well worth the time and effort I've invested and looking forward to using my WFO... alot!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 02:08:20 PM »
Thank you very much, it is my pleasure.

Happy Holidays as well!

Antoine

pizzapan