Author Topic: My continguing saga...LBE  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Boatman2

My continguing saga...LBE
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »
I guess it never stops LOL !!  tonights pizza was made with 50% caputo and 50% HG from Sam's, 60 HD, 0.3 IDY,
2.5 Sea Salt. 2hrs. RT balk, 6hrs RT balled, into fridge overnight then into freezer. It was in the freezer for 8days. I took it out last night and put it in the fridge overnight. Took it out at 3:00 in the afternoon S/F 3 times and reballed.
Bake at 6:30... Temp was 760, time was under 90 sec. full blast. Topping was Ham, pineapple, and fresh Mozzarella.
It seem to be a little chewier to me then with 100% caputo but still lite and soft with a touch of crispiness. I think for this type of pizza the next time I should go with a little lower temp and longer time to have more crisp. What do you all think?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: My continguing saga...LBE
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:23:21 AM »
The pizza looks very nice. Just wondering why you use the fridge and freezer for a NP pie baked under 90 seconds? And is that the reason you add in 50% HG flour?

John

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »
John: That's the first time I used HG flour. Just wanted to try something different. I'm new to pizza making and I wanted to see if I could freeze the dough and have a pizza at the spur of the moment. On this last batch of dough
the first 2 pizzas were not frozen, I had some friends over for lunch and bake them some pizza, it was a big hit!
The remaining dough balls were put in the freezer. Seriously I can tell very little difference in the finished pizza. But then again I may not know what to look for. It seems like you start out just to learn how to cook a pizza...AND THEN
IT BECOMES AN OPSESSION !!!!  SAVE ME !   LOL.   Bob

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »
Very nice neo-nea via Honolulu pie!  :P  I'll bet that tasted great!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:33:19 AM »
Great looking pie. I'm very surprised that you were able to get that much browning in 90 seconds at 760F. I'm guessing you were a good bit hotter than that above the stone anyway (a good thing). You might need to push the bake out to 3-4ish minutes to get meaningfully more crispness.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
Craig what temp would you suggest to have a 3 to 4 min bake? The longest bake I have ever done was 2:30 min. temp was 600 Top was done before the bottom. Normally I put the gas on full while baking only 1/3 while heating the stone, maybe if I don't put it on full while baking it would even out. What would you or anyone else suggest?   Bob

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
Craig what temp would you suggest to have a 3 to 4 min bake? The longest bake I have ever done was 2:30 min. temp was 600 Top was done before the bottom. Normally I put the gas on full while baking only 1/3 while heating the stone, maybe if I don't put it on full while baking it would even out. What would you or anyone else suggest?   Bob

It's hard to say. I don't think the temperature you are measuring is reflective of what your dough is experiencing in the LBE. For example, I'd expect 750F to deliver 2:15ish bakes and 600F to deliver 5ish min. You're coming in at about half that. Based on this, maybe 500F?

What sort of material are you baking on?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
It's a 16" Cordierite 5/8 on top of a SS tray, at 600 it cooks in 2:30...The next time I'll try 500/550 on the stone and leave the gas at 1/3...I'll post the results. Thank you.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:31:27 AM »
This was my bake last night. 00/HG, 50/50, 62HD, 0.3% IDY, 2.5% Salt. 2hr. balk RT, 6hr. ball RT, 36hr. CF. out of fridge 3hr. RT. then bake stone at 650, I left the gas at 1/4 for the full bake this time, 3:00 min. This pizza was tender with a very nice crispness. I gobbled up the whole thing!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
Thumbs Up!!!!!!
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
Excellent job Bob.  I usually bake rt at 650f in my LBE for a 3-4min pie.   I also usually do 75/25 00/hg for a slightly less crunch and a bit lighter crumb, but 50/50 is also an excellent mix.  Also try 100% 00 or hg to see what results you get and what you like best.

Chau
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:29:06 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
Chau, thank you very much. I have read a lot of your posts and has help me greatly, I have made pizzas with 100% caputo and under 90sec. It's in some of my other post, but I don't know how to tie them in this one. Everytime I want to find out about dough I look up some of your post, along with others. I want to make your shrimp and galic with white sauce. I would like to know how you make your white sauce. If I knew that I would also try fresh crab meat. You and others have helped me tremendously in designing my LBE. If you see any of my other post any suggestins would be appreciated grealy.

Bob

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
Crabmeat works great.  I have tried it several ways but lump uncooked works best.  I would like a white sauce lesson from senor Chau as well.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16617.msg162715.html#msg162715

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
Bob I'm glad some of my posts have helped you.  Thanks for saying that.   Shrimp and garlic is a killer combination with red or white sauce, especially if you are near a market and can get fresh shrimp.  The bigger asian markets often carry fresh shrimp.  

As far as the white sauce goes, as with most things, I make it to taste.  Saute 1-3 cloves of minced garlic (or shallots or both - whatever you have) in a bit of olive oil to just soften it a bit.   Add about a cup of whole milk (or heavy cream or do half and half - depends on how rich you like it).  Turn the heat down to medium or less and cook it for about 30 seconds or so.  Then add a heaping amount of shredded parmesan cheese stirring continuously.   I take the sauce off the heat as soon as the cheese begins to melt and become incoporated with the milk.   Add salt and pepper to taste and then remove from heat and allow it to cool.   The sauce will thicken as it cools.

After making it a few times, you'll know how much garlic, milk, or cheese to add to get the consistency and taste you like.  

Another really good pizza is white sauce, cheese, garlic chicken.   This makes a garlic alfredo chicken pizza of sorts and is really good.  Season chicken breast chunks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Saute lightly in olive oil.  Don't overcook chicken breasts.   Then slice it if you haven't and top pizza white sauce, sauted chicken and more garlic slivers.  

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:44:40 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »
Thank you Chau!!! I,m very lucky to live on the water near Onange Beach AL. So fresh sea food is no problem for me. My next pizza will be crab meat with your sauce. I'll post it when I do my next bake.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone !!!.....Bob

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »
Well this is last nights bake. Fresh crab meat with Chau's white sauce. I also added some melted butter on top. Bake at 625 for 3min. at 1/4 power for the whole bake. It was to die for!!! I will do it again and again. The next time I will add some shrimp to it.  ;D

Bob

pizzapan