Author Topic: Dough too wet or sticky?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Ekul

Dough too wet or sticky?
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if I could get some help here. I'm trying to make Peter Reinhart's Pizza Americana dough. The recipe calls for

5 cups high gluten or bread flour (I used Allinsons which has 13.9 g of protein per 100 g)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup milk
3/4 cup room temperature water

I was mixing by hand. The instructions call for 4 minutes of mixing, followed by a 5 minute rest and then 2 - 3 minutes more mixing. I tried to use my hand as much like a dough hook as possible. I take it that mixing doesn't really mean that I knead the dough?

The problem is that I find my dough to be very wet and sticky.

I let the dough proof overnight in the fridge. I took it out 2 hours before stretching to let it get to room temperature again. The first picture shows the dough just before I'm about to stretch it. It's very wet at this point and so it takes a lot of flour because it sticks to everything.

After flouring, in the second picture, it kind of wrinkles up which makes me think there's too much flour on the outside. But then when I stretch it a little bit, it becomes wet again, as you can see in picture 3. And at this point it's kind of absorbed the flour on the underside of the dough as I was stretching it and stuck itself to the table.

Aside from this, I found the dough to be very easy to stretch out and windowpane and quite resistant to me putting holes in it. But I think I have a problem with my technique because I've tried to make pizza following different formulations before and have similiar problems. I'd love suggestions! How does it look? I'm not from a baking family so I little real world experience of dough.

Luke

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough too wet or sticky?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:42:46 AM »
Hi Luke,

I am not a pizza pro by any means but this happens to be my favorite recipe for thin crust pizza.  First off, if you don't already have a kitchen scale, I would invest in one.  Target, Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond have them for decent prices.  After the five minute hydration period, mix for 2 minutes more and then add more flour in little increments if it is too wet and sticky. This dough should be a little tacky but not wet and sticky as you described.  After all your stretch and folds, with a little oil on your hands, your dough should be a little firm and as smooth as a baby's bottom.  If my memory serves correctly, Peters instructions say to evenly divide the dough into four balls and place into four oiled plastic bags.  Rest on the counter for a bit and refrigerate overnight.  Two hours before you plan to bake, take dough balls out of fridge to let rest.  I like to rest them on 4 pieces of floured parchment paper on my counter.  I sprinkle each ball with flour, stretch with my fingers and then cover with Glad Press N Seal so the dough does not develop a skin.  I stretch about every 15 minutes with my fingers just like Peter does, then bake for your oven setup.  Enjoy.  Peter also has a free online video course which is very helpful.  Check out www.craftsy.com/class/perfect-pizza-at-home/186

Good luck and post an update for me.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann