Author Topic: Left dough out 2 days  (Read 994 times)

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
Left dough out 2 days
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
I accidentally left my dough out for 2 days. It is in plastic container. Is it safe to cook and eat or should I dispose of it?

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Left dough out 2 days
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:33:39 AM »
No worries...what does it look like? These pizza doughs aren't like leaving milk or eggs out of refrigeration...if anything it may have developed some wonderful flavors. Bake it and see: Might be the best pie you ever ate. Right now, I'm doing some NP tests and I'm on day 3 at RT and thinking it might need just a little more time to be ready (if you never see another post from me, however, it means eating it killed me..sorry, kidding ;D)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:38:12 AM »
Oops---sorry, didn't see the category when noticed this in Unread Posts Since Last Visit---I'm no Dough Doctor, that's for sure. More like a  "dough patient" . Sorry, Tom..

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »
I accidentally left my dough out for 2 days. It is in plastic container. Is it safe to cook and eat or should I dispose of it?

From a safety point of view, unless you think it is moldy or something, it should be ok. 
From a good pizza point of view, the dough may be "blown", watery with no life gooey, blech...

What does it look like?    I would think you would know right away if/when you remove it from the container, inspect it and try to open it.  I hope that you have put it in the fridge by now to , at least, arrest/slow down further development. 

If it were me and the dough was messy, yucky, hard to work with - I would toss it.  The real money is in the toppings. 
Mitch

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:48:42 AM »
From a safety point of view, unless you think it is moldy or something, it should be ok. 
From a good pizza point of view, the dough may be "blown", watery with no life gooey, blech...

What does it look like?    I would think you would know right away if/when you remove it from the container, inspect it and try to open it.  I hope that you have put it in the fridge by now to , at least, arrest/slow down further development. 

If it were me and the dough was messy, yucky, hard to work with - I would toss it.  The real money is in the toppings.
It's Chicago thin dough. Looks good still. The color in it is fennel seed black pepper and a little basil.
Thank you both. I wasn't sure where to place this question but looked like a good spot. Gonna fire up the oven!!!

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Glad to hear those are seasonings..the photo had me worried ;) Will be interested in your results

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »
Glad to hear those are seasonings..the photo had me worried ;) Will be interested in your results
Thanks for your help! I'll post back here when it's made.

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:31:21 AM »
Pretty sure it had blown out. But it is cracker crust. Did not have any bubbles in the crust though and I like bubbly crust.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
How did it taste?

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
Very deep flavor!!! It was good.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 12:17:48 PM »
Glad it worked out :)

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
A few thousand years ago, someone left some flour in a vessel that then got wet, probably from the rain, then they tasted it...

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
Dogboy,
When making pizza dough you are free to use either the RT (room temp) method, the CF (cold fermentation) method, or even a combination of the two. It is all about experimenting and finding which system works best for you and your situation(time) and tastes.

Fortunately for us, member TXCraig has designed fermentation charts that allow the user to simply locate the desired temp and time one wishes to use and the correlating amount of leavening is displayed(including data for multiple types of yeast). It's awesome....no more guess work!
Here is one of his charts....

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg355933.html#msg355933
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dogboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
Dogboy,
When making pizza dough you are free to use either the RT (room temp) method, the CF (cold fermentation) method, or even a combination of the two. It is all about experimenting and finding which system works best for you and your situation(time) and tastes.

Fortunately for us, member TXCraig has designed fermentation charts that allow the user to simply locate the desired temp and time one wishes to use and the correlating amount of leavening is displayed(including data for multiple types of yeast). It's awesome....no more guess work!
Here is one of his charts....

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.msg355933.html#msg355933
Thank you. He sure has made some things simple for us!!

pizzapan