Author Topic: Dough Flavor and Proof Technique  (Read 314 times)

Offline Piggedy81

• I Love Pizza!
Dough Flavor and Proof Technique
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »
Hello, I've got a couple questions for you.

I make dough (using the dough calculator of course!) with just water, salt, yeast and flour. I've received feedback that the dough is bland. I'm wondering if my only option for giving the dough a better flavor is going to be by letting it proof for longer. I currently let the dough proof for 18-24 hours at room temperature.
My second question is about the container that the dough proofs in. I use a plastic tub that has a snug fitting lid and I notice that after a few hours the lid looks like it's ready to pop off. When I worked at a pizza restaurant back in the day we would proof the dough in what was essentially a garbage bin and would lay an apron over the top. I've started doing that at home now, I just lay a towel over the top of the container instead of using the lid. Do you have any suggestions about how I should cover the dough while it's proofing? Does a tight lid or loose towel provide better results?

Thank you!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Dough Flavor and Proof Technique
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »
Thank You;
24-hours fermentation at room temperature is a heap of fermentation so we can most likely say that is not the problem here, so I'm going to go with a lack of salt in the dough formula. For optimum flavor characteristics in the finished crust you should have between 1.75 and 2.25% salt. This is based on bakers percent. To look at your dough formula in bakers percent divide the weight of the ingredient by the weight of the total flour in the dough formula and multiply by 100.
If your salt is already within this range, we will need to have more information on your dough formula and dough management procedure.
As for the lid being popped off of the fermentation container, here are a couple of things to consider:
1) Adjust the water temperature used to make your dough to give you a finished dough temperature of 80 to 85F.
2) Immediately after mixing, scale the dough to desired weight pieces, form into balls, wipe lightly with salad oil, and place into your fermentation containers without lids.
3) After the dough has been in the fridge for about 3-hours, place the lids on the containers and snap into place.
4) Allow the dough to cold ferment for 24 to 72-hours.
5) Remove container of dough from fridge (keeping it lidded) and allow to temper at room temperature until the dough ball reaches 50F.
6) Turn the dough ball out of the container into a bowl of dusting flour and open the dough ball into a pizza skin by your preferred method.
7) Dress and bake the pizza skin in your normal manner.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Piggedy81

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Dough Flavor and Proof Technique
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
Thank you so much!
I've been doing 1.5% salt. I'm going to make a new batch of dough as soon as I get home tonight using a higher amount of salt and I'll try your recommendations for the fermenting.

I can't wait to try this, thank you so much!!!