Author Topic: Ignore User  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Ignore User
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »
I must post too much, or post stupid stuff too.  I also have an ignore.  I think I am going to stop posting so much, or either watch what I post.  I know I am a scatterbrain sometimes. 

Norma

Post whatever you like Norma, there is absolutely no reason for you to feel bad that someone is ignoring you.  I sometimes wish that people would ignore me also. :-D  Have a good weekend.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
I must post too much, or post stupid stuff too.  I also have an ignore.  I think I am going to stop posting so much, or either watch what I post.  I know I am a scatterbrain sometimes. 

Norma

This is exactly what I was worried about. Norma, your posts are some of the gems of this site. If you hold back, we'll be missing some valuable information. Is every post relevant to the best way to make a pie? No. But the fact that we're all involved in a social website that shares a commonality in making awesome pizza means that we'll have some posts that aren't about pizza. Some people spend their entire day on here, answering new questions and commenting on non-pizza things all the while. If one of these goes away, the other may also. If we weren't here hanging out, talking about god-knows-what, real questions may go unanswered.

You can't please all the people all the time. Haters gonna hate. Norma, keep posting! if someone doesn't want to read, they wont. This shouldn't change your posting habits.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »
I agree.
Norma, just ignore whoever is ignoring you and keep on posting.
Perry

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 09:48:29 AM »
maybe there should be an option to ignore your ignores button  :-D

the more i hear the word "ignore", the sillier it sounds.
now it's starting to sound like nick gore.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »
Thanks for your support guys, but guess since I am a woman it makes me feel kinda bad there is even an ignore button for any member. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »
Thanks for your support guys, but guess since I am a woman it makes me feel kinda bad there is even an ignore button for any member. 

Norma

I understand, but even everyday life has an ignore button.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
Norma, if you compare the total number of people who have read, appreciated and commented on your posts with that one "ignore", it's really not significant.   I also hope you will just keep on doing what you have been doing!   :)

Other sites have different ways of doing the same thing.  Some have "likes" and "dislikes", some "upvotes" and "downvotes", etc.   But they are just personality contests instead of being about good information.

You always have good information, Norma. 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »

Norma

If someone chooses to ignore your work on this site, it is their loss !!!

Bob

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
Maybe I am too soft, but the idea that you can see the number of people ignoring you is really hurtful and not helpful. If the ignore button is there, let the end user make use of it. It is not necessary to wag a finger at someone and let the whole community see what is going on. The plain fact that Norma, our most beloved member here, has to lament that fact of rejection by someone is just ridiculous.

John

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 10:38:49 AM »
IMO, ignoring should be a discrete ability to remove an unwanted situation for an individual. Making it a statistic viewable by all just encourages ridicule and is in no way productive for this site.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

Thanks guys!  I guess women naturally are a little more emotional than men and guess they act on feelings first, which is not rational. 

I didnít know other forums have likes, dislikes, some up votes and downvotes.

I had thought the report to moderator button was enough, (if someone didn't like what someone posted) but guess that wasn't enough since the forum is growing.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Cass

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
The plain fact that Norma, our most beloved member here, has to lament that fact of rejection by someone is just ridiculous.

I agree!!!   

Norma, please just keep doing what you do!   :)
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline satgan

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
 Norma, please just keep posting!
 I love your posts.

Online pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
Norma,
My wife has been ignoring me for over 30 years...it hasn't slowed me down <g>

In a show of solidarity, I will see if I can ignore myself.

Perry

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
Norma,
My wife has been ignoring me for over 30 years...it hasn't slowed me down <g>

In a show of solidarity, I will see if I can ignore myself.

Perry

you can't

Online pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:09 AM »
Sure I can...I just put my fingers in my ears and go....wahhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnn.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »
I'm ignoring that ^   :-D

I agree that other people should not be able to see ignore count. 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
IMO, ignoring should be a discrete ability to remove an unwanted situation for an individual. Making it a statistic viewable by all just encourages ridicule and is in no way productive for this site.
I agree that other people should not be able to see ignore count.  
+1 and +2

Personally, I think this whole ignore thing is kind of silly. Is it really that bad?  But, public humiliation by exposing ones count is just mean IMO.

@Norma - If there were an opposite to 'Ignore' like maybe 'Highlight user', you'd be on that list for me. I love your posts. :-*

The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
I'll work on making the ignore count visible only to the member, and not to the general membership.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »
Norma,

I wouldn't let an isolated Ignore bother you. As Nick (weemis) said, you can't please everyone. Even Mother Teresa had her detractors. In my opinion, you come as close to Mother Teresa as anyone we have on the forum.

However, if a member gets a lot of Ignores, or an above average number of Ignores, then I think that it is safe to say that the members are trying to send a message to the other member and that the other member should take heed of the Ignores and engage in some reflection. The Ignore feature was instituted as a result of complaints that Steve and the Moderators received via PMs and Report to Moderator emails. As a Moderator who has read all of the complaints and has a pretty good world view of the forum, I think I have a pretty good idea as to the kinds of things that bother the members in general. Posts that are sexist is one example. Posts that say little or nothing of value is another. I call such posts "Where's the beef?" posts. Once in a while such a post will be tolerated but if there are too many, then that will bother the other members. In a way, it becomes a fatigue factor. Posts that are overly flippant or try to be too cute or to be too hip but do little else also are also not held in high regard. Maybe these posts work better in a social medium but most people who visit and join this forum do so because they want to learn how to make pizzas. And they may not have time to wade through posts that do not serve that purpose.

Clearly, none of the above examples apply in your case. So, I would just continue what you are doing and not get concerned over a single Ignore.

Peter