Author Topic: Ignore User  (Read 5014 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Ignore User
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »
Thanks guys and gal for your support.  I appreciate it very much.  I really donít think exposing ones count is okay to the general membership.  I know if real life not everyone likes everyone and this forum is no different.   

Thanks Steve too for working on making the ignore count visible only to the member, and not to the general membership.

Peter,

Thank you too.   

I can understand more now since you explained why the ignore button was started.  I can see Steve and the moderators have problems with complaints via Pms and Report to Moderator emails. That can consume a lot of time.

Thanks for also explaining what bothers the membership.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
I'll work on making the ignore count visible only to the member, and not to the general membership.

Ok, I have changed the behavior of the forum so that you are the only one who can see how many people are ignoring you. No chance for public humiliation now.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »
Ok, I have changed the behavior of the forum so that you are the only one who can see how many people are ignoring you. No chance for public humiliation now.

Steve,

Thank you!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
Peter, when I 1st read this ".....  Maybe these posts work better in a social medium but most people who visit and join this forum do so because they want to learn how to make pizzas. And they may not have time to wade through posts that do not serve that purpose."

I thought, gee too bad. I for one do not have time to visit multiple forums, I do really want to learn about making pizza, but I also like to socialize a bit. For example this thread, has brought some really happy, LOL moments and had nothing to do with making pizza.

I then realized that perhaps, humor or social comment should be only presented in the "chat" forum, or non-pizza related areas.

Well, at least it is Fri and pizza baking time is right around the corner.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »

Thanks, Steve.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Yes, thank you Steve.   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »
Peter, when I 1st read this ".....  Maybe these posts work better in a social medium but most people who visit and join this forum do so because they want to learn how to make pizzas. And they may not have time to wade through posts that do not serve that purpose."

I thought, gee too bad. I for one do not have time to visit multiple forums, I do really want to learn about making pizza, but I also like to socialize a bit. For example this thread, has brought some really happy, LOL moments and had nothing to do with making pizza.

I then realized that perhaps, humor or social comment should be only presented in the "chat" forum, or non-pizza related areas.

Well, at least it is Fri and pizza baking time is right around the corner.

Mark

Mark,

There is no doubt that over the past year or so the forum has morphed to a large degree into a social forum. As someone who is not into joining social media, that is not a change that I have personally welcomed, even though I do get some enjoyment from time to time out of the change, just as you have. But looking at it personally from the perspective of a Moderator, the dramatic increase in the total number of posts, including those that have nothing to do with pizza, has meant a lot more work. The reason is that the Moderators (Bill and me) have to look at every new post to be sure it is in the right place and complies with the rules of the forum and to take any other action called for. There are now days where over forty percent of the new posts have nothing to do with pizza. We are now at a run rate of around 75,000-80,000 new posts a year. That had meant that I have had to spend more time on the forum to keep up with the increased activity, and less time on other things that I need or would like to do. And Bill is in the same boat. This is an issue that Steve is aware of and will have to be addressed at some point. It all eventually comes down to deciding what the forum wants to be and staffing and managing it accordingly.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 03:45:08 PM »
Peter, point well taken. I have been until recently a moderator on a BBQ forum. I think that there may have been 6 or more moderators as well as the elected officers. In that setting the membership alert the moderators about a questionable post, That post could be temporarily hidden until the moderators had a chance to read the post and the group would make a consensual decision as to the appropriateness of the post, based on the bylaws of the site. We would go months without getting notified. Don't know if that means there were less objectionable posts or the "rules" were more lenient, but it seemed that there was self moderation to a great extent. At least that method did not require an exhaustive amount of time for any one or two individuals. I sympathize with your efforts under current conditions, especially in light of the changes that you describe. I wonder if there is a method that would ease the workload of Bill and yourself and still maintain the current standards?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »
A number of highly-respected contributors to this forum have left or significantly reduced their participation due to the dramatic increase in off-topic posts. The Internet offers a dizzying array of socializing options, but this forum is a unique meeting place to discuss all things pizza - for casual beginners to hardcore veterans. I believe the changes Steve is considering are not just about Peter's and my workload, but more about the future of this forum as a source of the best information anywhere on the craft, art, and science of making pizzas.

Offline I Have Feet

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
A number of highly-respected contributors to this forum have left or significantly reduced their participation due to the dramatic increase in off-topic posts. The Internet offers a dizzying array of socializing options, but this forum is a unique meeting place to discuss all things pizza - for casual beginners to hardcore veterans. I believe the changes Steve is considering are not just about Peter's and my workload, but more about the future of this forum as a source of the best information anywhere on the craft, art, and science of making pizzas.

Bill,

I mean no disrespect at all by this question... Was the post you made about your sourdough e-book one of those "off-topic" posts that has driven people away? Or your post on naturally fermented pickles? What about Craig's recipe for his green chili sauce? Would all these type of posts be banned?  :'(

I know that there are more general foodie boards, but personally I find it very interesting to see what interests people have outside of the shared passion of pizza. It helps me appreciate the diversity of everyone here, and broadens my food knowledge.

Cheers,

Brendan

p.s. still loving those waffles. ;)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »

I mean no disrespect at all by this question... Was the post you made about your sourdough e-book one of those "off-topic" posts that has driven people away? Or your post on naturally fermented pickles? What about Craig's recipe for his green chili sauce? Would all these type of posts be banned?  :'(

I really do take offense that the posts you cite could be compared to the vast amount of inane or offensive drivel that has driven valued members away. No one has mentioned limiting posts in the "off-topic food" board, which was set up by Steve for "general discussion about other foods (non-pizza)".

This thread represents an extremely important discussion between Steve and the members about the future of this forum and to specifically address the continuing complaints he receives from unhappy members. Anyone unhappy with any my posts should feel free to start another thread or PM me or report me to Steve.

Offline I Have Feet

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
Bill, my sincerest apologies. My intention was not to compare those posts I mentioned to the ones that are recieving complaints. I had intended to imply that i found those posts very valuable and wanted that to be able to continue. Reading through the discussions in this thread and the other I got the impression that the three of you were considering making the forum strictly "pizza only" and that all off-topic discussion (including non-pizza related food talk) would disappear. I merely wanted to express that I personally enjoy that part of the forum.

Again, I apologize for offending you. It seems as though I've stuck my nose in where it doesn't belong. I'm sorry.

Brendan

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »
I really do take offense that the posts you cite could be compared to the vast amount of inane or offensive drivel that has driven valued members away. No one has mentioned limiting posts in the "off-topic food" board, which was set up by Steve for "general discussion about other foods (non-pizza)".

This thread represents an extremely important discussion between Steve and the members about the future of this forum and to specifically address the continuing complaints he receives from unhappy members. Anyone unhappy with any my posts should feel free to start another thread or PM me or report me to Steve.

Humans...being. Could it be possible that one might consider your(most excellent IMHO)posts to be inane drivel? Everyone has their own opinion, right?
You go on to offer a great solution to the current concern..."Anyone unhappy with any my posts should feel free to start another thread or PM me or report me to Steve."
I sense a hair trigger on this forum and believe additional moderators are needed to help ease the load.
Respectfully,
Robert

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »
It's natural to want to discuss common interests with like-minded people that you meet on the forum. Sure there are other venues to discuss other topics but the friends that you meet here aren't there.

I understand the unwanted additional workload for the moderators, in fact I know it all too well. But regarding restricting conversation to pizza-only topics...be careful what you wish for. I know from from experience that it is a difficult thing to do, and the moderators' workload is likely to actually increase due to the fact that they have to police all of the off-topic posts that are inevitable.

These type of conversions have taken place on every forum that I have been part of. One such forum eliminated their "Lounge" sub-forum (like Chit Chat here). It resulted in a revolt of sorts. They eventually installed a real-time Chat board and every one was happy again (hint).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:11:45 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
They eventually installed a real-time Chat board and every one was happy again (hint).

In this forum's format (SMF), it is called a "shoutbox", and is easily implemented wherever you want it to be.  At the header of the Chitchat subsection would be appropriate.   It's a scrolling window you can add your comment to anytime you feel like joining the random conversation.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
I had totally missed this thread: Ignore Board option when I posted above. I like the idea.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
In this forum's format (SMF), it is called a "shoutbox", and is easily implemented wherever you want it to be.  At the header of the Chitchat subsection would be appropriate.   It's a scrolling window you can add your comment to anytime you feel like joining the random conversation.

I don't know if I like the sound of that, maybe I'm jus not familiar with it's format/layout. Sounds susceptible to too many "sound bites"...1.5 seconds of fame. Which IMHO we already have an excess of...nobody wants to just talk anymore now a days it seems. A quick quip an let's be on our way...if you know what I mean.
Your suggestions are always good though Brian so maybe I just know enough about what you are saying...

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Mark,

There is no doubt that over the past year or so the forum has morphed to a large degree into a social forum. As someone who is not into joining social media, that is not a change that I have personally welcomed, even though I do get some enjoyment from time to time out of the change, just as you have. But looking at it personally from the perspective of a Moderator, the dramatic increase in the total number of posts, including those that have nothing to do with pizza, has meant a lot more work. The reason is that the Moderators (Bill and me) have to look at every new post to be sure it is in the right place and complies with the rules of the forum and to take any other action called for. There are now days where over forty percent of the new posts have nothing to do with pizza. We are now at a run rate of around 75,000-80,000 new posts a year. That had meant that I have had to spend more time on the forum to keep up with the increased activity, and less time on other things that I need or would like to do. And Bill is in the same boat. This is an issue that Steve is aware of and will have to be addressed at some point. It all eventually comes down to deciding what the forum wants to be and staffing and managing it accordingly.

Peter
Lesson learned here. On topic from here on out. I have strayed, but will try to keep the work of the Moderators to a minimum. At this time I feel the ignore feature is a good start.
Marty

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie that's ignore...   ;D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
The Ignore User functionality has changed in this new version of the forum software. You must use the "Buddies/Ignore List" feature in your profile settings to ignore someone.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

pizzapan