Author Topic: What type of cheese(s)? And how do my pies look?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline benji99

What type of cheese(s)? And how do my pies look?
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Hi all,

in the first picture attached below is a Pizza Margherita I had in south Germany. Absolutely delicious. I was born and raised in Germany and have lived in the states now for 15 years and recently went back to visit. Having Pizza there (all Pizza restaurants there are Italian owned and operated) is what made me try to duplicate it here.

Anyone willing to guess what type(s) of cheese(s) is being used. Some have suggested Mozzarella only. Some suggest a mix of Mozz and Provolone. Some say Mozz and Gouda (which is what I currently use). Others have said Mozz and Edam (though I can't find it anywhere locally).

The other pictures are of my pies.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: What type of cheese(s)? And how do my pies look?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »
Benji:
Those pizzas look GREAT! Especially the last one.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
Benji:
Those pizzas look GREAT! Especially the last one.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I was about to post the EXACT same post - word for word, but you beat me to it. The only other thing I'd add is that the pies have a nice NY look to them. With a home oven, it may be better to focus on NY rather than Neapolitan.

As for the cheese question on the first picture, it's hard to say. I'm pretty sure it's not fresh mozz. My guess is some sort of dry mozz. If it's blend, the two are very similar in appearance like mozz and provolone. I don't really see signs of melted Gouda, and Edam would leave a yellow tint.

Provolone, Gouda, and Edam are all fine on pizza, but if you put them on a pie, that pie is NOT a Margherita.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline benji99

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
Thanks guys.

I don't know why I didn't consider that it had to be Mozzarella only or it wouldn't be true Pizza Margherita ... then again, They may just list it like that but use other cheeses. To me, it doesn't taste just like Mozz.

Either way ... I will continue to try different cheeses or combinations to replicate that taste.

That last pie is my latest one. Home oven at 550 degrees with the extra 35 degree calibration method and cheap pizza stone. 100% KABF with a 6 minute bake time. I am pretty happy until I get a 2stone. :)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »
I'm not saying just because they called it a Margherita that it only had mozz. Restaurants mislabel stuff all the time - especially pizza Margherita. I was simply making a point.

If it was whole milk mozz and you are used to part skim, that may be why it tastes different than you would expect from just mozz.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »
Benji,
What type of Gouda are you using, smoked? And what ratio to mozz do you do? My girlfriend is from south Germany (Kaiserslautern) and her sister there has a WFO. I could have her ask about current cheeses being used when she makes here Sunday morning call home this weekend.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline benji99

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 11:01:18 AM »
Bob,

thanks for the response. I am using regular Gouda, not smoked. Not sure of the ratio exactly, but I slice both so I am guessing close to 1:1. It's good, just not the same. I also just purchased some Edam cheese and will try that tonight.

I am from close to Stuttgart, Schwäbisch Gmünd-Bargau to be exact :).