Author Topic: Substitution of cake yeast for IDY  (Read 697 times)

Offline kdefay

Substitution of cake yeast for IDY
« on: November 15, 2012, 11:27:55 PM »
I currently use IDY in my formula for a 2-day cold ferment.  I have found sourcing for CY and am interested to see how to adapt my formula to it.  This doesn't mean that I am switching, but since I currently have some, I would love to see the difference it makes in my pizza. 

I currently use a base formula of:

Flour 100%
Salt 2%
IDY - .32%
Sugar .5%
Oil 1%
Water 62%

I use quite cold water in order to have my dough at the right temp for balling prior to refrigeration.  I mix the salt and sugar into my water and the IDY into my flour prior to placing them into my large spiral mixer.  Oil is added 2 minutes into mixing. 

If I want to adapt this formula to CY, what changes do you recommend I should I make to my process? 

Bear in mind, I am quite happy with IDY and the flexibility it offers us in a commercial environment.  I am doing this more for fun and to have a better understanding of the processes involved.

Thanks,

Kirk

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Substitution of cake yeast for IDY
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »
Kirk,

You can simply triple the amount of IDY, from 0.32% to 0.96%, or, for a more accurate conversion, you can use the yeast conversion table at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm.

The cake yeast can be crumbled into the mixer bowl with the flour or it can be prehydrated in some of the formula water.

Peter

Offline kdefay

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 07:22:18 AM »
Thanks Pete!  I'll try a batch tonight and see how it goes...

Kirk

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
Just curious,Why the switch ? let us know how you make out  please !! How long bulk room temp rise are you dooing?  I do .16% IDY or less, for my 2 day dough ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline kdefay

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »
Hi John,

It's not a switch really, it's just that I happen to have some so I might as well play with it.  A friend bought some for me.  I can't get it where I live, but it can be sourced in Bangkok where he lives, so he bought some for me.  I have no intention of doing a switch to it, because the sourcing is not reliable.  It's too far away and the only way to safely get it here is for to be put on a plane and we have to go pick it up at the airport.  That's so unnecessary. 

Regarding the yeast %, I don't do a room temp rise, because I'm trying to get the dough into refrigeration while it's still cool to limit the growth it does in the proofing boxes.  It comes out of the mixer, gets about 10-15 min of rest and is then balled and placed in proofing boxes headed for the cooler.  How long of a room temp rise do you do?  I had gone down to a % that low in the past, but I was not doing a room temp rise.  It was not giving me enough activity over two days in the refrigerator.  I eventually settled on .32% because it gave me nice results based upon the process that I was following. 

Kirk

Offline kdefay

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:43:15 PM »
Here's the balls at about 15hrs development time.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:02:37 AM »
Here's the balls at about 15hrs development time.

Did you happen to take a picture at time zero?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
I wish I had.  That would at least give something to compare this to.  I have attached a photo of the balls at about 30 hours.  Tomorrow I will be making dough again, so it will be easy for me to take a photo of the box when I finish.  It will look exactly as this dough would have looked when it was formed and can be used for comparison.  I'll follow it up with a photo of the dough at about 40 hours and we can see how the development continues.  After the photo, I will be transferring the dough from 12/box to 6/box so that I have more control over when to take it out for it's final journey...

Kirk