Author Topic: La Casa Pizza - Omaha, NE  (Read 929 times)

Offline moneysshot

La Casa Pizza - Omaha, NE
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I just started getting into making my own pies and wanted to see if I could pick the brains of the experts. There is a local pizza place here in Omaha, NE called La Casa  (http://www.lacasapizzaria.net/zgrid/themes/10494/portal/index.jsp) that has a different neapolitan style than I have seen before. The crust is crispy and thinner, but the center is chewy. I believe they use square pans and run it through a conveyor-type oven.

I have been checking the various styles and believe it is like a neapolitan crossed with a cracker crust. I honestly am not sure. I was just wondering if anyone has ideas on how to replicate this type of crust? Should I form and cook the pie on a square cookie sheet directly on my stone? Like I said, I am very new to pizza making and have probably 3 batches of dough under my belt so far, but cant wait to make my next. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated! THanks

Trev

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: La Casa Pizza - Omaha, NE
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
Trev, Welcome to the forums. Just wondering why you think that pan cooked pizza is a Neapolitan cross?

There is a pretty general description of a lot of styles of pizza in the forum listings. From what I have read and seen the process and ingredients for making a Neapolitan pie are pretty specific.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
Hello Trev - You will be very surprised to find you can make that pizza very easily. Can you possibly post a shot of a slice cross section so we can see the crumb?

John

Offline moneysshot

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:59:34 PM »
Thanks for your reply Mark. I understand that is definitely not authentic neapolitan, but the only reason I would say it is a neapolitan cross is because that is what La Casa's description has on their site:

"La Casa opened to serve our first pizza in June of 1953. Founder Joe Patane (seen above) and family ran out of food halfway through the evening on their first night, indicating his hunch about Neopolitan-style pizza and its popularity was correct. The third generation of Joe's family invites you to share in a part of Omaha's restaurant heritage known as La Casa, still operating in our original location at 4432 Leavenworth Street."

Other wise I would just say a thin pan style, but I am not too experienced so I am not too sure. It isn't very airy or soft and chewy, its more crisp and then a nice chewiness.

John - Thanks for your reply as well. I have attached a few more pics from the web...I haven't been there in a little while so I don't have a slice cross section. I hope it helps.

Thanks again,

Trev

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
" indicating his hunch about Neopolitan-style pizza and its popularity was correct." maybe Joe was thinking about Rome...?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline moneysshot

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
Im not sure Bob, but you prob know better than I do  :)

I was having withdrawals, so I had to make a quick trip. I know this is definitely not authentic neapolitan by any means, or even in the vicinity, but it is super good pizza none-the-less. I hope the attached crust cross section pics help, I think they use a sheeter? Any insight is much appreciated, I would love to be able to replicate something close if possible. Thanks again!

Trev

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
Yes, sure looks laminated(sheeter) and probably high % of oil too. Never seen anything quite like that Trev. Sorta like a pan pizza rim(cornicione)meets a thin cracker crust pizza hybrid. Don't tell Pizza Hut!!   :D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"