Author Topic: baking on steel plate  (Read 2366 times)

Offline jusapena

baking on steel plate
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
Please, some advice on best type of steel to bake on. The more I read the more I get confused.

buceriasdon

Re: baking on steel plate
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
The most economical steel plate from metal suppliers will be hot roll steel or in the industry called A36, a low carbon steel. All larger cities will have a couple of suppliers that will cut a size to order. 1/4" to 1/2" thickness plate being popular for pizza baking.
Don

Please, some advice on best type of steel to bake on. The more I read the more I get confused.

Offline communist

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
My 17 by 17 by 1/2 hot roll steel plate is superb.  It is heavy, around 42 pounds.  If your oven and your strength can handle it, I recommend 18 by 18.  Mine was around $40 at a local steel shop.    Mark

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:30 PM »
I bought 1/4" to keep the weight down a bit.  I bought from a steel supplier local. they cut it for me and I've been very pleased with it. Retains heat well for the 2nd pizza.  Haven't used my pizza stone since.
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline jusapena

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 10:19:26 AM »
Thank you for your replys,it has made the search so much easier. I have found on Ebay, a piece of steel that is the exact measurement needed for my oven. Unfortunatly the seller does not know the nature of the steel. Is there a flavor or health risk in using something other then hot rolled steel?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
Shouldn't be - hot roll is just cheaper, that's why we like it.  But steel should be steel.  How thick is it?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »
Is there a flavor or health risk in using something other then hot rolled steel?
There are some specilty steels I wouldn't recommend for cooking or baking on, but cold or hot rolled steel is a safe as cast iron.
Don

Offline jusapena

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »
Thanks again for your help and reassurance. I purchased 2-1/4 inch thick plates rather than one 1/2 inch. I probably will loose something but it is easier for me to handle.They had some very sharp edges that I filed down. The surface almost looked pickled so I started to hit it w/ sand paper and it is shiny under the "Patina". Should I sand the entire surface down to the shine? Should it be seasoned like cast iron?

Just spent 8 days with out power and pizza due to the storm (CT) -dying for a slice.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
Thanks again for your help and reassurance. I purchased 2-1/4 inch thick plates rather than one 1/2 inch. I probably will loose something but it is easier for me to handle.They had some very sharp edges that I filed down. The surface almost looked pickled so I started to hit it w/ sand paper and it is shiny under the "Patina". Should I sand the entire surface down to the shine? Should it be seasoned like cast iron?

Just spent 8 days with out power and pizza due to the storm (CT) -dying for a slice.
Wash in soap an water an leave it alone....wipe some oil on it now while it pre heats since you went sanding on it.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online CDNpielover

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:38 AM »
Does anyone know if these steel plates have been used for styles other than NYC, and if so, what the results have been like? 

pizzapan