Author Topic: Food Network...Pizza Pot Pie..anyone try to make this?  (Read 12325 times)

LIpizzafan

Food Network...Pizza Pot Pie..anyone try to make this?
« on: December 07, 2005, 03:56:18 PM »
I forget which channel it was, but it was about different kinds of pizza. And yes, I had to have a slice after watching the show.

They showed this Chicago restaurant that made a pizza in a bowl with the crust on top. Was wondering if anyone here has tried to duplicate the recipe and what the results were. I'm thinking about trying it.

Bill

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: Food Network...Pizza Pot Pie..anyone try to make this?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
Here ya go:

http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/menu.htm

Never had it but looks good. Looks like a smaller version of a stuffed pizza is all..
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

LIpizzafan

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 04:15:41 PM »
Thanks, but I was looking for the cooking technique. The ingredients I can duplicate, I think. I'm wondering about oven temp, cooking times, etc.

Bill

Offline T-Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 07:24:59 PM »
If I'm not mistaken it was the Travel Channel.  I've seen the show several times.  The pot pie was not quite like a stuffed as it only had one layer of dough, I think.  Looked interesting, although no idea how to make it.

Offline pam

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 08:43:28 PM »
The quick-and-skimpy instructions:

1. Prepare your regular pizza dough and let it rise as usual.
2. Preheat oven to 500 for at least an hour.
3. While oven is preheating, prepare sauce, mixing in toppings.
3. Oil a baking sheet and four (4) 1- to 1 1/2 cup ovenproof bowls, inside and out (I use onion soup bowls).
4. Spoon sauce into bowls leaving ~1/2" of top, Lay mozz. on top of sauce. (I find that sliced works better than shredded.)
5. Divide dough into 4 pieces. Roll out each piece until it overhangs the bowl's edge by 2". Lay dough across top of bowl.
6. Place bowls on oiled baking sheet and bake 15-20 min, until crust is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

To serve, place dinner plate upside-down on top of crust and invert quickly. (Use oven mitts to protect hands! WARNING: be careful when inverting the bowl. This can be very messy, and hot sauce and/or cheese on bare skin can be quite painful!) Loosen dough around edge with knife before removing bowl. Alternatively, serve in bowls like a regular pot pie.
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

LIpizzafan

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:50:48 AM »
Pam,

Thanks! That seems about right, I will try it. Although when watching the show, I seem to remember them putting the sliced cheese on the bottom, then mushrooms, then sauce, then dough. I think putting the cheese down first will get the outside edge that's in contact with the bowl will get the cheese to set up firmer and maybe a little more browned. I think the sauce first method might make the cheese melt into the sauce making it almost a little soupy. When the bowl was inverted on the show, I remember seeing just cheese facing up. Of course, the pizza trance that I was in could have made my judgment blurry.

Bill

Offline StfRon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 01:12:01 PM »
Wanted to add to this, we just drove up to Chicago yesterday and ate at the restaurant.  These Pizza Pot Pies were incredible!  The cheese is definately on the top of the pie after it is inverted by the server.  So I guess it is placed in the bottom of the bowl, before everything else.