Author Topic: Ignore Board option?  (Read 6248 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Ignore Board option?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
That is a good point Mark but it is Monday morning quarterbacking in this situation I believe. I'm sure that 10 years ago Steve had no clue this would turn into such a big thing.

Agreed, but 10 years later, here we are. If there we no "problem" now, this thread and the other similar one would not have surfaced. Besides Monday is a good time to plan for next Sunday.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
Agreed, but 10 years later, here we are. If there we no "problem" now, this thread and the other similar one would not have surfaced. Besides Monday is a good time to plan for next Sunday.

Mark
Never said there was not a problem. My analogy was in reference to your suggestion to NOW post some specifics/rules,guidelines,whatever....it would be difficult to make it retroactive, if you will, to the current members whom are used to more freedom. That's all...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
Let the changes already made work for a week or two and see how things go.  No need to change to many things at once.  Bad apples come and go. No need to change the world to make bad apples happy or tolerable.  If the bad apples continue, ban them. Period.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
Craig,

Surprisingly, we occasionally get complaints when members--I guess you'd call them cheerleaders--praise the pizzas of others. See, for example, Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10437.msg129274.html#msg129274. Jeff Varasano also used to take issue with members praising the pizzas of others that he felt were undeserving of the praise.

Peter

In March 2011 I called them suggestions and tried to be as courteous as possible making sure to note that I'm not anti compliment etc. I was commenting on the volume of those type of posts and how getting off topic makes the forum harder to use thereby less enjoyable for me. I still stand by the post. That includes the line that says if its fine w everyone else I will deal with it-and have.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »
Maybe we need a refresher or a new set of forum policies. One that is clear on what type of behavior is accepted and not. If people go outside of that too much they are removed.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
Or maybe we just need to lighten up a little bit....it's hard to be perfect and you can't please all of the people all of the time...right?  ;)  That mouse down there in your hand can take you any where you want to go...
This is not "Steve's Perfect Pizza Land" video, where you press start, sit back and wait for the happy ending. Things happen in life....like a trip down to the gas station. If you don't like what you see, ya change the station. And likewise as you said....kick out the trouble makers. Establish a policy for that procedure and that may be a solution.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:54:24 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 11:56:59 PM »
I think that the idea of the opt-in social area is a great idea. It seems like the best of both worlds to accommodate both "camps". If you do this, I suggest that you call it "The Lounge"

As the forum grows, I think that its moderation team must grow with it. If a city's population triples, would it not need more police officers to keep the peace? Perhaps a moderator could be added to help keep an eye on the newly created social area. Just a thought.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 12:07:28 AM »
I think that the idea of the opt-in social area is a great idea. It seems like the best of both worlds to accommodate both "camps". If you do this, I suggest that you call it "The Lounge"

As the forum grows, I think that its moderation team must grow with it. If a city's population triples, would it not need more police officers to keep the peace? Perhaps a moderator could be added to help keep an eye on the newly created social area. Just a thought.

And considering how well you ran the Stalag, I agree  :-D
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:01 AM »

I am just putting my .02 cents in this thread and by no means do I really know what should be done or what can be done.

I originally came to this forum to learn how to make pizza and was awed by all the beautiful pizzas I saw and how helpful the members and moderators were in helping members learn to how obtain any kind of pizzas they wanted to try.  I was also interested in how everything is explain in detail, even if I didnít understand what was being posted about.

I have seen very good members come and go, or not post as much as they once did.  From Billís post on the other thread he posted they have left, or arenít posting as much because of all the chatter.  I know I have been know to chatter too much at times and really would try to stop all my chattering if that helps any.  I have also been know to go off-topic and would try to stay on topic as much as I can.     

I donít know how the moderators keep up with reading all the posts, putting threads in the right places and then also trying to watch what all the members are posting.  The moderators can try to clean some of the chatter up, but that is also time consuming and can hurt members feelings.  I canít even imagine how challenging it is to be a moderator with the increasing membership and posts on this forum.  I can see though with a forum that is growing so much in posts and new members what some of the challenges are.

Even is there would be a separate thread for general chitchat, or social area, that also would have to be watched by the moderators or Steve. 

I have enjoyed off-topic foods and anything related to pizza.  Some of the chatter lately is tiring to hear, at least to me.  I know I can just skip those posts, but the moderators canít.

Really I donít consider this forum to be a general socializing network, although I probably was guilty of using it that way sometimes. 

What happens as this forum grows, is something serious to considered in my opinion.  I like to be a part of a community of like-minded pizza enthusiasts, whether they are new members, or members that have been on the forum for awhile.  We almost all started not knowing anything about making pizza.

Maybe Steve could put forth some kind of rules/regulations of what members can do and can not do. 

I would like to ask Steve if he knows how much of the forum bandwith is used up by all of the chatter.  Does it really matter?

At first was I generally upset with the Ignore function, but after thinking about it more, it might give members a chance to think over more carefully what they plan to post.  I know not all members will like other members, just like in the real world. 

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »

From Billís post on the other thread he posted they have left, or arenít posting as much because of all the chatter.  I know I have been know to chatter too much at times and really would try to stop all my chattering if that helps any.  I have also been know to go off-topic and would try to stay on topic as much as I can.     

Norma: complaints have been about the increasing number of inane or offensive posts. I believe you are one of the most valued contributors on this site. One need only scan the extensive exchange between you and Pete-zza in this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.0.html

to appreciate that.

From my standpoint, the issue here is less about the workload of the moderators and more about complaints Steve is receiving from members.   

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
Norma,

There will always be issues of members going off-topic or hijacking threads. Some members even go so far as to tell us that they are going off-topic. These kinds of actions pose problems because threads can get intertwined with both the proper posts and the improper posts. When that happens, it isn't always possible to split off the offending posts from the proper ones. And, even when it can be done, it means going through the posts one by one and putting them into two groups, changing the title headings, splitting off the two groups, and moving them into the right places in the forum's indexing system. This is a tedious and time-consuming task and it can easily be screwed up if one is not careful. And since the Moderators can't be on the forum 24/7, and watch each post as it is entered, it is inevitable that threads will get corrupted to the point where they can't be fixed. I have seen some great threads where members have put in an enormous amount of work of high quality and composition only to see them "damaged" by inane or impertinent posts or off-topic posts that steer the threads off into different directions that have little or nothing to do with their original intention. And there is little that I can do about it as a Moderator.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »
I am not sure that it is a "rules" issue so much as it is an etiquette issue.  Most of us know by now the more blatant ones (Speaking in all caps for example), but some of the others are more subtle and often vary by the particular forum.  I am a habitue of 6 boards, some for more than 15 years.  They vary from Zero moderation (private board) to heavily moderated (professional board).  On each there is an unspoken etiquette about what is allowed, encouraged, or discouraged.  Usually, a PM will solve the issue of etiquette if it arises.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 11:37:04 AM »

Norma: complaints have been about the increasing number of inane or offensive posts.

From my standpoint, the issue here is less about the workload of the moderators and more about complaints Steve is receiving from members.   

I am not sure that it is a "rules" issue so much as it is an etiquette issue.  Most of us know by now the more blatant ones (Speaking in all caps for example), but some of the others are more subtle and often vary by the particular forum.  I am a habitue of 6 boards, some for more than 15 years.  They vary from Zero moderation (private board) to heavily moderated (professional board).  On each there is an unspoken etiquette about what is allowed, encouraged, or discouraged.  Usually, a PM will solve the issue of etiquette if it arises.

Bill,

Thanks for explaining that the complaints are more about the increasing number of inane or offensive posts. 

Do you have any ideas for solutions, or donít you really want to say anything?

Maybe Tomís idea of etiquette is a good place to start.  At least I think that is a great idea. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Norma,

There will always be issues of members going off-topic or hijacking threads. Some members even go so far as to tell us that they are going off-topic. These kinds of actions pose problems because threads can get intertwined with both the proper posts and the improper posts. When that happens, it isn't always possible to split off the offending posts from the proper ones. And, even when it can be done, it means going through the posts one by one and putting them into two groups, changing the title headings, splitting off the two groups, and moving them into the right places in the forum's indexing system. This is a tedious and time-consuming task and it can easily be screwed up if one is not careful. And since the Moderators can't be on the forum 24/7, and watch each post as it is entered, it is inevitable that threads will get corrupted to the point where they can't be fixed. I have seen some great threads where members have put in an enormous amount of work of high quality and composition only to see them "damaged" by inane or impertinent posts or off-topic posts that steer the threads off into different directions that have little or nothing to do with their original intention. And there is little that I can do about it as a Moderator.

Peter

Peter,

I can understand the problems of going off-topic, or hijacking threads.  I can see if the threads become intertwined with proper and improper posts how hard that might be to fix, or even that it might not be able to be fixed at all. 

Norma

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »

Do you have any ideas for solutions, or donít you really want to say anything?

I fully support Steve's new "ignore user" option. Steve has given clear guidelines about what is considered offensive (e.g., no politics) and we continue to have to move offensive messages to the moderator board for review. However the new "ignore user" shifts the burden to members, who can now decide that, for any reason, a certain user has nothing they want to read. It would be nice if it were more granular, but it is a good start. I think Steve and the moderators are tracking its use closely to see if it is an effective way of reducing complaints, people that are driven away, posts that get reported, threads locked, and messages moved for moderation.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:07:29 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Another option to cut down on the "Looks great, good job" posts is an ability to "thank" a user for a post.  I do not know if it is possible with this forum software, but it may be.  It does reduce those types of posts on that forum as well as make it even easier to show appreciation and admiration.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 07:31:54 PM »
Another option to cut down on the "Looks great, good job" posts is an ability to "thank" a user for a post.  I do not know if it is possible with this forum software, but it may be.  It does reduce those types of posts on that forum as well as make it even easier to show appreciation and admiration.

I wonder if it would be possible for a forum to be created where members could show and tell their latest pies and members could freely comment yea or nay until the cows come home. For those members who would prefer not to read the excessive yeas and nays, just don't open that forum.
I for one like to occasionally post pics of my pies just to see where I am headed. Probably as I progress, I won't any longer care, but still might like to see what others are doing.

Mark

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »
In my opinion, a comment about the results of a member's efforts, good or bad, is on topic. Aren't we here to share the results of whatever we try, and look for ways to improve, or on a good day, get positive comments?
Perhaps we must think more about our posts and only use them to add to the topic. "Great pizza" is nice, but may not add anything without some more depth. Remember you haven't tasted it, felt the texture of the dough, smelled the aromas, etc.
Sorry I'm getting hungry, have to end here.  :D
Marty

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »
In my opinion, a comment about the results of a member's efforts, good or bad, is on topic. Aren't we here to share the results of whatever we try, and look for ways to improve, or on a good day, get positive comments?
Perhaps we must think more about our posts and only use them to add to the topic. "Great pizza" is nice, but may not add anything without some more depth. Remember you haven't tasted it, felt the texture of the dough, smelled the aromas, etc.
Sorry I'm getting hungry, have to end here.  :D
Marty
Really...I mean, let's just take ALL of the fun out of this... ;D

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 09:09:07 PM »
Perhaps we must think more about our posts and only use them to add to the topic. "Great pizza" is nice,   :D
Marty

Too bad we don't have "TASTE-O-VISION" We really can only judge the photo, and photos can be manipulated or at least edited. I showed of photo today of a recent pizza, trying to highlight the crumb. I thought it looked good, so I posted it, unfortunately the macro shot only shows a tiny portion of the otherwise mediocre crumb.

GREAT PIZZA! Tells it all without specific criteria. Beauty is in the eye of the eater.

Mark