Author Topic: Ignore Board option?  (Read 6391 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ignore Board option?
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:31 PM »
In my opinion, a comment about the results of a member's efforts, good or bad, is on topic. Aren't we here to share the results of whatever we try, and look for ways to improve, or on a good day, get positive comments?
Perhaps we must think more about our posts and only use them to add to the topic. "Great pizza" is nice, but may not add anything without some more depth. Remember you haven't tasted it, felt the texture of the dough, smelled the aromas, etc.
Sorry I'm getting hungry, have to end here.  :D
Marty
Really...I mean, let's just take ALL of the fun out of this... ;D

Really, Really...Why bother posting pictures if not to solicit feedback?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
Really, Really...Why bother posting pictures if not to solicit feedback?

Because if it is a real honey of a  pie it can become soooo tedious wading through all the kudos/encouragement. Unless, of course, the pic in question happens to be.....YOURS!   ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
Because if it is a real honey of a  pie it can become soooo tedious wading through all the kudos/encouragement. Unless, of course, the pic in question happens to be.....YOURS!   ::)

Bob , with all due respect, every forum that I have ever been a member of, has welcomed pics. Maybe as a diversion to words.
I do not control this site as we all don't. We can make suggestions to help,solve,problems, which by the way we, the mass of membership, did not identify or bring to light. Our suggestions may in fact fall by the way and if so, so be it. We are not in control,nor are we aware of the particular complaints that have precipitated this whole thread.

I for one support your view of openness, or at least that is what I perceive.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 09:42:36 PM »
Bob , with all due respect, every forum that I have ever been a member of, has welcomed pics. Maybe as a diversion to words.
I do not control this site as we all don't. We can make suggestions to help,solve,problems, which by the way we, the mass of membership, did not identify or bring to light. Our suggestions may in fact fall by the way and if so, so be it. We are not in control,nor are we aware of the particular complaints that have precipitated this whole thread.

I for one support your view of openness, or at least that is what I perceive.

Mark
Go back a few posts and you will see that I am using irony. I love ALL the pics and would never want it any other way. And yes, openness is obviously a favored concept with Bob.  ;) Thanks.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 10:28:58 PM »
Irony and Satire, Mark Twain, where art thou?

Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
Irony and Satire, Mark Twain, where art thou?

Mark
Jus glad you didn't say "wherefore" art thou...highly controversial matter in the world of literature and as you know...we mustn't be oh too much that way here.  ;D

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
*grabs steering wheel and points this 18-wheeler back to the road*

I favor this mix of options:  Ignore boards + upvoting / downvoting.

If you like / agree with a post in a thread, upvote it. No need to comment, unless you have something meaningful to contribute or ask.
Likewise, if you disagree / dislike, downvote.  Comment if materially constructive.  Don't comment if you're just going to be provocative.

Feedback without scrolling through endless pages of "Wow, that's really stupendous!"  Or "Geez, that's just... stupid."

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
*grabs steering wheel and points this 18-wheeler back to the road*

I favor this mix of options:  Ignore boards + upvoting / downvoting.

If you like / agree with a post in a thread, upvote it. No need to comment, unless you have something meaningful to contribute or ask.
Likewise, if you disagree / dislike, downvote.  Comment if materially constructive.  Don't comment if you're just going to be provocative.

Feedback without scrolling through endless pages of "Wow, that's really stupendous!"  Or "Geez, that's just... stupid."

+1,you have my upvote.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
I like the idea of up/down voting, but the only thing that I can find for this version of forum software is a Facebook "like" button... not sure we want to integrate with Facebook.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 05:35:35 PM »
I like the idea of up/down voting, but the only thing that I can find for this version of forum software is a Facebook "like" button... not sure we want to integrate with Facebook.

Steve, if you follow this link, it details how to apply a mod called GoodPostBadPost to almost any version.  All you need is a text editor and an eye for detail to apply the changes for your particular version.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=318290.400
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »

Well, if "we" have decided not to see how many members are ignoring another member, isn't it just going to crush them equally to see their post got down voted?  Or will we implement a hide/unhide option so that we don't know how many up/down votes a post gets? 
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »
As long as forum decorum is being discussed, I have an avatar question.

I'm a big a fan of  Rodney and Homer and and the good Col.as much as anyone, but what do they have to do with pizza ?
Why not choose an avatar more in keeping with the pizza, and less with the chit chat ?
Perry

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
...I'm a big a fan of  Rodney and Homer and and the good Col.as much as anyone, but what do they have to do with pizza ?
Why not choose an avatar more in keeping with the pizza, and less with the chit chat ?...

See this is exactly what happens.  Now we need an ignore avatar button.  Also with the hide/unhide feature.  Or, maybe a more simple, up vote/ down vote avatar button.  There is no end to this nonsense.

Nobody holds my umbrella so I don't get wet.  Nobody puts blinders on my eyes so I don't see stuff I don't want to see.  Nobody plugs my ears so I don't hear stuff I don't want to hear.   Just sayin'

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »

See this is exactly what happens.  Now we need an ignore avatar button.  Also with the hide/unhide feature.  Or, maybe a more simple, up vote/ down vote avatar button.  There is no end to this nonsense.

Nobody holds my umbrella so I don't get wet.  Nobody puts blinders on my eyes so I don't see stuff I don't want to see.  Nobody plugs my ears so I don't hear stuff I don't want to hear.   Just sayin'

Spot on! 

Maybe we need to take text formatting away as well.  >:(

Oh yeah, the emoticons too!
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
Spot on! 

Maybe we need to take text formatting away as well.  >:(

Oh yeah, the emoticons too!
You earn my upvote.... ::)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »
As long as forum decorum is being discussed, I have an avatar question.

I'm a big a fan of  Rodney and Homer and and the good Col.as much as anyone, but what do they have to do with pizza ?
Why not choose an avatar more in keeping with the pizza, and less with the chit chat ?
Perry

Now this is getting ridiculous! ::)

Definition of avatar as it applies here:
Avatar - a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.

So, you're a pizza?

... and...FWIW, the Colonel is eating a piece of pizza!  :pizza:
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
And Homer has "pizza" written on his shirt...does that not count though.... ;)
Oh, and it is also well known that Rodney was a pizzaholic!   :-D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:05:48 PM by Chicago Bob »

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »
I have ROOS and he promotes chicken! A fine California Topping. And I live in Cali, but would never use fowl on my Pie, DON'T TELL ROOS!!!!!!!! He will eat ME!

Mark

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »
Well, if "we" have decided not to see how many members are ignoring another member, isn't it just going to crush them equally to see their post got down voted?  Or will we implement a hide/unhide option so that we don't know how many up/down votes a post gets? 

I was thinking more along the lines of a "like" or "up-vote" button (i.e., no unlike or down-vote option). This would allow people to "like" a post without having to fill up a thread with "great job" and "looks delicious" posts.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of a "like" or "up-vote" button (i.e., no unlike or down-vote option). This would allow people to "like" a post without having to fill up a thread with "great job" and "looks delicious" posts.

I think I like this idea, up only. If it was to be a down, I'd rather have constructive criticism in a post. Always looking to improve my efforts.
Marty