Author Topic: All things cheese.  (Read 1247 times)

Offline patnugent

All things cheese.
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »
What type do you use, and where do you get it?

We use Fresh Mozzarella whenever we can for anything that is relatively italian we are cooking with cheese.

We use to get it at our farmers market(it wasn't fresh fresh, but a day old and frozen... still not bad) and today I picked up a pound of real fresh mozz from a little italian deli just outside of town for use in tomorrows pizza(also picked up 1/4lb "pepperoni stick") in emergency cases we have picked up "fresh mozz" from Stop and Shop's olive buffet and some shrink wrapped stuff that is a name brand i don't recall.

Since starting to do pizza at home, we have only used fresh mozz(with a little bit of freshly grated parm thrown in) and I really have no clue if we are missing out on something great.  I grew up on Long Island, work in Manhattan and can get a slice of NY pizza with mixed whole milk, etc cheese any day, and none of them have ever lived up to a pizza with fresh mozzarella....

What do you use?  Where do you get it?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: All things cheese.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
Fresh mozzarella di bufala is pretty tough to beat.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline patnugent

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:12:19 AM »
I actually didn't know there was a cheese area on this board until my topic was moved.  Sorry about that.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 03:06:30 PM »
I used fresh mozz a few times, but felt I needed to sprinkle some salt on the pie after it finished baking. Do you do the same or leave it as is?
Chaz

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »
I used fresh mozz a few times, but felt I needed to sprinkle some salt on the pie after it finished baking. Do you do the same or leave it as is?

I sprinkle a little salt on certain pies (such as a Margherita) but only if the pie needs it - it's a pie by pie decision not a cheese decision. I also do it pre-bake not post.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
I have been using fresh mozz from Piacci: http://piacci.com/
Best I have found locally.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »
I like to sprinkle sea salt on the crust before cooking.  The fresh pulled mozzarella from Mandola's Italian market that I used today was very good, I had to wait for her to package it yesterday.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
What type do you use, and where do you get it?

We use Fresh Mozzarella whenever we can for anything that is relatively italian we are cooking with cheese.

We use to get it at our farmers market(it wasn't fresh fresh, but a day old and frozen... still not bad) and today I picked up a pound of real fresh mozz from a little italian deli just outside of town for use in tomorrows pizza(also picked up 1/4lb "pepperoni stick") in emergency cases we have picked up "fresh mozz" from Stop and Shop's olive buffet and some shrink wrapped stuff that is a name brand i don't recall.

Since starting to do pizza at home, we have only used fresh mozz(with a little bit of freshly grated parm thrown in) and I really have no clue if we are missing out on something great.  I grew up on Long Island, work in Manhattan and can get a slice of NY pizza with mixed whole milk, etc cheese any day, and none of them have ever lived up to a pizza with fresh mozzarella....

What do you use?  Where do you get it?
Not sure I am understanding your question here Pat. Are you saying that you prefer to use "fresh" mozz on your NY style pizzas and are wondering what brand of "fresh" will give the best flavor?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pignolius

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:19:42 AM »
Lots of great cheeses on pizzas besides the standard shredded and fresh mozz...
I've seen folks on this site using mexican cheeses. I usually stick to a base of mozz with other 'fancier' cheeses to bump up the pies. Some favorites: Ricotta, Goat Cheese, Provolone, Fontina, Taleggio (stinky foot), TARTUFO (with truffle), parmz, pecorino...

For many people pizza is bread with cheese on it so you really can't go wrong if you trust your tastebuds and find good local or quality imported cheeses..

pizzapan