Author Topic: Sausage weighing  (Read 1920 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Sausage weighing
« on: December 11, 2005, 05:24:36 PM »
Pizzerias weigh everything it seems -except the sausage, if you exclude the rabbit pellets. I've  never see one weighing the fresh sausage and I've never seen a really good method of putting the sausage on. It always seems a hand tossed operation.  Also since sausage is relatively inexpensive at 30-40  percent fat, why is so little put on? Looks like raisins most of the time.

Any technique suggestions?

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Sausage weighing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »
Hehehehe, I saw your topic title and wondered if you had been hitting the eggnog.... "sausage weiging" ?
I thought .... I gotta check this topic out so I clicked LOL  :P

To keep on topic,

yup, I have to agree..... they do put on a sprinkle at most.

When I was in pastry school a number of years ago, our teacher would instruct us to
"bless" our peacan pies that were going out to the store part of the bakery.  Yup, we were instructed
to be very aware of how many peacans we were putting into the pies.  They "bless" our pizzas up here
in Canada the same way, and most places use the sausage in that sort of crumb texture.... I think this
really reduces the amount they use...

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 06:12:09 PM »
Reminds me of an old Canadian joke using the metric system.

Seriously, if you wouldn't use the sausage in a sandwich, why put it on a pizza? I rarely order pepperoni without adding sausage. The combination is better than the parts.  Some places use a sausage loaf that they slice. Not great. Homemade sausage that you can easily make is so much better. 

If you order "sausage only" here on the west coast, you'll get something that looks like a child's handful of raisins.

I've had Canadian pizza. It is truly a "blessed" event.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 06:54:55 PM »
Less is More..................
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 10:54:17 AM »
On my sausage-only pies, I like to get full coverage.  Not a real real thick layer but a good coverage.
As to the pellets, I say let the megachains use 'em.  I strive for a handmade product using good quality ingredients, and I do think that makes a huge difference.  People know when they are eating something that is above and beyond.

What is this 'blessing'?
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 11:43:35 AM »
Kinsman

A blessing is like a sprinkling of holy water. A dusting.

How much would you say all the sausage on your sausage pizza weighs?  Did the place actually weigh it?

I am really looking for a good technique for adding the sausage. By hand it is very greasy especially if the sausage is moist. I use the two-spoon method. I'm sure there are better ways.

Also is the sausage Italian in flavor or just generic spiced pork?

thanks for the info

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 11:03:03 AM »
Blessing.  Got it.
I like blessings for some ingredients but when I do a sausage-only pie, I am putting a lot of it on there.

I will weigh it for you.
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 11:42:47 PM »
OK. I'm not sure about all pizza places, just the ones I've had anything to do with. I like a sausage brand called LaScala's. For pizza, we use the standard Italian style/seasoned skinless bulk sausage. Outside of PizzaHut, and that was only for educational purposes, at everywhere I've ever been, we used our hands to put on the pieces/chunks of sausage. One hand holds a glob, the other hand, kept wet with sauce (keeps the meet from sticking and helps w/ speed), grabs a piece/chunk and puts it on. It's easier to put it on before the cheese because it sticks better, but different houses have their own styles. This has always been, in my experience, done by eye, no weight measure. There are different takes, in the eyes of great pizza guys, about the size and placement of these pieces/chunks. For me, the size of a regular martini olive is good with about 1 1/2 finger space in between each piece/chunk. Again, it's a visual thing. Too little is kinda cheap and too much takes over and can make your pizza an oil slick. All in all, if I had to put a reference # to the whole thing, I would say for a regular, large, thin, 2-person pizza, with only sausage, in Chicagoland,  I would use the equivalent of 2 sandwhich links (+/-16").
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.

pizzapan