Author Topic: Santa Rosa Pizzerias (split)  (Read 555 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Santa Rosa Pizzerias (split)
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »
Hi Mark:  I will dust the peel with flour every now and then when it feels like it needs it.  I know that is not a scientific answer but I was taught via my Italian mother's side of the family in the Newark NJ area.  It was all about feel and just knowing that it will all slide off right where you want it to go.  If you do something enough you instinctively know what it needs or not.  Sorry I can't be more scientific in reply.  Have fun.  That is the key!  Walter

Mark:  I just saw you live in santa rosa.  We moved from SR 5 years ago here to Ohio.  Pizza is pretty bad in SR. You have to make it at home.  There was a place on 4th street near the cancer survivors park/el patio that claimed NY stlye pie.  I liked the owner but he didn't know how to make pizzas. I was going to work there but it never came together.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:06:33 PM by waltertore »

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:29 AM »
Walter, since you left there is a pizzareia on Mongomery by Memorial Hospital. Rosso's. They do a nice pie in a WFO. They also have a mobile WFO and go to the Sebastopol farmers market on Sunday and the Wed night Market in SR. I think things have improved around here and WFOs are going big. There are 2 new places in Healdsburg, One I have eaten at, the pizza was good, not great. You are right tho, doing it at home is the way to go.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Walter, since you left there is a pizzareia on Mongomery by Memorial Hospital. Rosso's. They do a nice pie in a WFO. They also have a mobile WFO and go to the Sebastopol farmers market on Sunday and the Wed night Market in SR. I think things have improved around here and WFOs are going big. There are 2 new places in Healdsburg, One I have eaten at, the pizza was good, not great. You are right tho, doing it at home is the way to go.

Mark

Hi Mark:  I will have to check them out next time we are out for a visit.  There was an older NYC guy who had a small shop in Sebastopol.  He made some decent pies but died and it closed.  That must be at least 15 years ago.  The metal peels are great for when some of the toppings spill onto the stone. You can scrape most of it off when taking the pie out of the oven.  Having the vintage blodgetts at my job means no more home pizzas for me :)  They are the cadillac of deck ovens IMO with no electronics. It is like working on an old car where a basic tool kit could fix anything.  Walter

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Santa Rosa Pizzerias (split)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
Mark:  you like Rosso's pizza?  I went there last family visit and loved everything else there (appetizers, salads) but I found the pizza actually inedible.  I will admit to being picky about pizza, would rather eat a good salad than a bad pizza.  My mother loved it and ate the entire pizza except the one bite I took.  If you like it too, I'm not sure where my disconnect comes in.  I mainly eat Neapolitan style but can definitely appreciate good NY or NY-elite/hybrid/whatever, or any kind of artisan WF pizza.  To me, Rosso served a dry, flavorless flat crust with can-tasting sauce and lackluster cheese.  The photos you've posted make your pizza look 1000x more appealing than Rosso's (granted they are very different styles). 

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Santa Rosa Pizzerias (split)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
Hmmmm, I must admit that my tastes may be different than yours. Or perhaps I have been lucky and have been served edible pizza. Good is such a relative term. I have also been to the Rosso's in Petaluma, and not the same experience. Thank you for the compliment on my pies, I am trying, with a little help from my friends.
Happy Holidays.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan