Author Topic: Dough balls rising too fast?  (Read 788 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Dough balls rising too fast?
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:13:45 PM »
Hi:

I am learning, experimenting with room temperature doughs using sourdough starter.  This is a follow up to my last bake. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22083.0.html
I have a couple of dough balls that I am planning on baking around 5 pm tonight (8 hours from now).  They have been rising for about 23 hours (9 bulk, 14 balled) after mixing and a little over an hour of stretch and folds.  So, 24 hours altogether.  The temperature has been a pretty steady 70 degrees.

The hydration is around 65.5 and the starter was around 2.0%.   I started to worry that with another 8 hours to go that I should slow it down - so I moved them outside where it is now 59 degrees and the high will be around 66 degrees (Northern Cal). 

Does this sound right?  Or do I need to slow them down more in the fridge?

Thanks, Mitch

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dough balls rising too fast?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
Hi Mitch - I usually do between 2 and 5 % of water for 24 hour doughs. At 70 degrees, I would choose 2%. Your inclination to slow down the fermentation is a good one. But I would prefer a dough that is overdone to one that is underdone. Doughs just past their prime have great flavor.

John
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:25:22 PM by dellavecchia »

pizzapan