Author Topic: NY/Neapolitan in WFO  (Read 1006 times)

Offline PizzaioloCow

NY/Neapolitan in WFO
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »
Hi all!

These are the pizzas I made on Sunday in the WFO.  It has some of the characteristics of an Neapolitan style, like the char and smaller size (12"), as well as some of NY, including the use of dry mozz and IDY as opposed to wild yeast, as well as pepperoni instead of salumi.  They were 65% hydration, .4% yeast (had to make it on relatively short notice), and 2.5% salt.  I used KABF.  The pepperoni one in particular had excellent spring.  I can't tell you the temps of the oven as my dad cooked the pizzas while I prepped them, but I believe they baked in under 5 minutes.  I didn't get any undercrust shots, but, from what I recall, it had little-to-no color.  The oven didn't get very long to heat up because of stuff we had to do later on in the day.  Maybe an hour at max.  You can tell the top heat was right, though.  They pies only got a day of cold fermentation.  Next time I want to push the cheese closer to the edges and give the oven a longer time to heat up.

Also, this marks the start of my science fair project, which is attempting to measure the correlation of protein content to oven spring.  The cornice cross-sections I measured were 13mm and 18mm.

Thanks!
-Jake

Offline mvd

Re: NY/Neapolitan in WFO
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
this marks the start of my science fair project

This is looking like a delicious science fair project!

Looks really good.
Mike

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
Jake, how do you make sure each pizza skin is exactly the same height to make sure that your spring measurements have some equallness about them.  Nice looking pizza, post a pic of the oven also, thanks.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline PizzaioloCow

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »
@mvd

Thank you!  I'll post pics of my other pies as soon as I make them.  In the next batch of pizzas I'm using high-gluten, 00, and all-purpose.

@Jet_deck

I have to do my best by trying to use a uniform stretching technique and making sure my skins are stretched to the same size.  I also make two with each type of flour so that I can take the averages of them.  I always attempt to measure the highest cross-section.  It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do.  Oven pictures are below.  Thank you for the compliments!

-Jake

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do.  

Doing your best is perfection. :chef: :pizza:

>> Great looking oven <<
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jbravo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 04:15:34 PM »
 You are doing a great job. Very appetizing looking pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »
Jake,
You are doing so well for just starting out. What a great eye for details...I really enjoy reading of your adventures in pizza making. Thanks, and keep up the excellent work!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PizzaioloCow

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
Thanks for all the compliments! :D

Sorry I didn't get to reply until now; I forgot I posted this thread!  This week I tested Caputo 00, All-Purpose, and High-Gluten.  While I can't post the pics now, greater oven spring is definitely correlating to higher gluten.  I don't have my notebook right now so I can't give you all the details, but I'll try to remember to grab it at school tomorrow so I can give everyone a more in-depth analysis.  From what I can remember I found the high-gluten a little hard to stretch, possibly due to slight overkneading from being unaccustomed to it.

Thanks!
-Jake

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »
  From what I can remember I found the high-gluten a little hard to stretch, possibly due to slight overkneading from being unaccustomed to it.

Thanks!
-Jake
Good insight Jake...easy on the mix,let it warm up on the counter a bit longer if that happens again or try increasing the hydration a 'lil next mix.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan