Author Topic: Revolutionary new type of wood-fired pizza oven  (Read 4021 times)

Offline tapaninaho

Revolutionary new type of wood-fired pizza oven
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
Hello all,

As I explained in my intro in the new members sub-forum, I hope this doesn't come across spammy. I'm just a first-time inventor from London, trying to tell people about what I've come up with.

So. About a year ago I wanted to build or buy a WFO in our garden. As you do. Problem was that all the ones I could find were too expensive and too large to be moved with us when we were moving to another house. We were renting at the time.

I started thinking that I must not be the only one with this issue and that there must be a better solution than those Weber conversions I had come across. After a year of designing later, I've come up with Uuni. World's first wood-fired pizza oven that's small, fast and affordable.

At this time, I'm trying to raise enough funds to do the first production run. I'm using Kickstarter to do this. So far the reception has been amazing, looks like I'm not alone with this problem  :).

The Kickstarter page is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tapaninaho/uuni-a-small-fast-and-affordable-wood-fired-pizza

If you, the good people of this forum, have any questions at all about the oven, I'd love to answer them!

Thanks a lot, and again, I hope you don't mark this as spam :)

Kristian

Offline slybarman

• Supporting Member
Re: Revolutionary new type of wood-fired pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »
Welcome. Good luck with the product.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
How long is your typical bake time?

Please post some pictures of pies baked in it.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline tapaninaho

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
Between 3-5 minutes depending on thickness etc. There are still things that will get improved and optimised as I get the production prototype ready so I expect to make it even faster. I've measured temperatures in the excess of 400C.

I'll post some photos tomorrow; I'm filming an update to the current backers and will take more photos then. (Normally when I've been using it, I'm so much more concentrated on the product itself that I've not remembered to photograph the pizzas well enough!)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »
3 minutes per the video.  Good luck with your project.

Offline tapaninaho

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:29:31 AM »
Ok, so I spent sometime yesterday afternoon recording an update to the backers of my project.

In the video, I make a pizza from start to finish with Uuni so you can see that it 1) actually works :) and 2) what the pies look like.
Here's the video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tapaninaho/uuni-a-small-fast-and-affordable-wood-fired-pizza/posts

Also attached below are two photos of pizzas I made yesterday. Enjoy!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:58:40 AM »
What a great project. I really like the idea. Good luck to you.

Since you posted here, I might ask why you are promoting the project as a wood fired alternative? Most people who want to build a WFO want Neapolitan type pizza which cooks in 90 seconds or less. It seems to me any of the other grill products could produce this pizza easily and do not need to use wood. You could make this pizza in your home oven with a $50 steel plate.

So is your goal to work the product into creating a 90 second, 800+ degree Neapolitan pie, or is the 3-5 minutes the extent of it's capabilities?

John

Offline tapaninaho

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »
Hey John,

Ultimately, yes, I'd like to get the temperature stay above 800F. It does actually get there-at times-already but as one of the goals is to make it as light as possible, it doesn't hold on to any of the heat. Problem with barbecue mods is that the heat comes below. Problem with domestic ovens, with a steel or baking stone, is that yeah you can do the first pizza in 5-7 minutes but if you need to make a more, the performance drops significantly. (Or if increase the thickness of the baking surface, you need to pre-heat it for a long time) Uuni produces a lot of heat and can keep on going with out breaks.

If you have any suggestions for a more suitable place to promote the project, I'd love to hear! So far, people I've been able to reach are excited to hear about it.

K

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:50:23 AM »
I've cooked 12 pies in a row on steel plate with no drop off whatsoever.

I think there may be a market for your product, but I agree that marketing it as an alternative to a traditional wood fired oven is the wrong way to go, it simply can't do what a wood fired oven can.
-Jeff

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
Sounds like you already have the marketing points down to contrast with the other grill products out there (2stone, etc.). I guess it comes down to price and how the end pizza result differs. If the price is right to competes directly with the other products on the market then you might have a winner. Otherwise, I would caution you ever using the word "Neapolitan" in your marketing unless you truly get a NP bake time. You might get some backlash - especially from those on this forum, probably your best source for potential customers. Neo-NY might be better language.

I hope you succeed with your venture.

John

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »
Looks like these will be available very soon. Check out the pellet stove heat source.

http://uuni.in/new-photos-and-a-video-of-uuni/2013/04/
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »
I've cooked 12 pies in a row on steel plate with no drop off whatsoever.

I think there may be a market for your product, but I agree that marketing it as an alternative to a traditional wood fired oven is the wrong way to go, it simply can't do what a wood fired oven can.

shuboyje did you use 1/2 plate or thicker?  how long did you heat your plate before baking? how long between each bake? (thx)

Hey John,

Problem with barbecue mods is that the heat comes below.

It is not an issue in my design.

Congratulation on your kickstarter project, hopefully mine will be a success too..

Bert,

pizzapan