Author Topic: Corn pizza???  (Read 3582 times)

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
Corn pizza???
« on: December 08, 2005, 01:12:10 PM »
In another post someone asked if a pizza photo had corn on the top. I bet corn would be good on a pie. But what kind of meat to use...hummm, Here in Louisiana we make a smothered creole corn dish with bacon & tomatoes in it. Shrimp corn & bacon might be pretty good too with a white sauce... Any ideas?

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Corn pizza???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:10:45 PM »
Yes, I have.  Well, someone might like it, but not me.

Offline robtfink

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:36:52 PM »
Here are some unusual Japanese pizzas utilizing sweet corn:
http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza3.html

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 06:56:20 AM »
I think a "Taco" pizza would do well with some corn on it. Taco flavored ground beef for the meat, What the hell and some black beans, cheddar cheese... Hmmm... Oh, and some black olives too!!! Trin. drools!  :)

The crust could have some extra corn meal added as well. :) 

I think frozen corn would do best. :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 07:13:24 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 07:03:12 AM »
On the corn topic.

I did make some nachos with corn before and man were they good!

Here is a picture! :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 07:58:16 AM »
Thats a great idea! A local pizza place Mr. Gattis has a buffet on which they have a mexican pizza. Not with corn or beans & Its ok. I sometimes stop in for lunch. I will make a nacho style With corn beans B olives ect... Your yummy look'in nachos sold the idea. I'll post some pic's when I create it

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 09:01:41 AM »
If you make taco meat (beef) I recommend Ortega taco meat seasoning. Mmmm, The Best! :)

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 09:09:42 AM »
You know I love corn by now...  ;D ;D ;D

I works well in chilli,,, :)  And taco's!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 09:51:40 AM »
I dug into my bag of not-yet-tried pizza recipes and came up with this one using corn. Knowing Trin, he will find a way to use a cheap Kroger's pizza flour mix to make a beautiful creation.

Tex-Mex Pizza

Pizza dough sufficient to make a 12- to 14-in. pizza
1 to 1 1/4 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c. roast chicken strips (from a store-bought or home-prepared roasted chicken)
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion
6 T. chopped fresh cilantro
2 jalapeno chiles, cut into thin rounds and seeded
6 T. frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
2/3 c. drained purchased refrigerated fresh salsa, or homemade
Sour cream and avocado slices, optional

Preheat an oven and pizza stone for 1 hour at 425-450 degrees F.

Prepare and shape the pizza dough to make a 12- to 14-inch pizza round.  Sprinkle half of the cheddar cheese and the cumin over the pizza round.  Top with the onion, 4 tablespoons of the corn, 4 tablespoons of the cilantro, the rest of the cheddar cheese, the jalapenos, and the rest (2 tablespoons) of the corn.  Bake the pizza on the preheated pizza stone until the crust is crisp and the toppings are heated through.  Top with the salsa and the remaining 2 tablespoons of cilantro.  If desired, each slice can be topped with a dollop of sour cream and a slice of avocado.

Peter

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 05:34:27 PM »
corn is a really common topping on pizza all across europe. 

I don't remember exactly what other toppings it was paired with, I think usually it's with onions and a meat like salami, pepperoni, or back (Canadian) bacon.  But I think it's just a general topping that you could mix with anything.  It seems a bit weird but it's REALLY good  ;D

in europe you can also get other 'unusual' toppings like bacon (american style, not back/canadian bacon), eggs (hard boiled and sliced), donair/gyro meat (can also get at some greek pizza joints in US), and canned tuna.

They are all actually pretty good (haven't tried tuna yet tho).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 06:00:07 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 05:42:06 PM »
and speaking of japanese pizza.....   I've been doing some web research over the past couple of years and all i can say is....  crazy (both the pizzas and the people who spend their time making websites about japanese pizza hehe).

I will be in tokyo next winter (japanese summer) and will be sure to take loads of pictures.

in the meantime here are some links:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/2275/pizza.html
http://www.erdoboy.com/pizza/
http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html (listed above but it is a great site  ;D)

pizzapan