Author Topic: Cordierite heat shockproof ? direct flame ?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline lennyk

Cordierite heat shockproof ? direct flame ?
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
Quick question,

Is cordierite safe for almost direct flame from a propane burner ?

I have my stone on a 3/16 metal platter with propane burner below, platter is beginning to sag a bit
due to the extreme temps.

I wanna get rid ofthe heavy platter and make a simple 4 legged cross instead, so there will be spaces between which the stone will be exposed.

thanks,

L

scott123

Re: Cordierite heat shockproof ? direct flame ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »
Cordierite can take a lot, but I don't think it could handle that kind of targeted extreme heat. Do you really need steel sagging temps for pizza?  Can't you turn the burner down or move it further away?

How about bouncing the flame off some insulating firebrick?  I believe that can stand up to an intense flame.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
actually I made a mistake, the plate is not sagging but the 1/8 bolt which holds it up against the rotating shaft.
however I would still like to probably change to a lighter platter of some sort though.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
actually I made a mistake, the plate is not sagging but the 1/8 bolt which holds it up against the rotating shaft.
however I would still like to probably change to a lighter platter of some sort though.

When I was testing the MPO, I put a 1/2" cordierite stone directly over the flames on my gas grill and got it up into the 900F range at several points. I don't think it is a problem.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
You had me at "sagging plate".  :o  I wanted pictures.

pizzapan