Author Topic: ordered some KASL  (Read 2074 times)

Offline iceman3876

• I Love Pizza!
ordered some KASL
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »
Thanks Pete for the Dutch Valley source... Ordered some Kasl and I'm excited to see who this stuff works out for pizza....been reading all the posts on making a good pie. I need to buy a scale and might need some further assistance in finding one that you currently use or would recommend...Thanks so much

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: ordered some KASL
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:18:59 AM »
iceman3876,

Great news on the KASL.

As for scales, I would look for a digital one that can handle both ounces and grams with reasonable accuracy, with a tare feature, and capable of weighing the amount of dough that you plan to make. My scale has an automatic shutoff feature that is good for preserving battery life, but it can sometimes be disconcerting when it shuts off when I am distracted by something else. You also have to turn the unit upside down and remove a rubber pad to get to the slide switch to change from ounces to grams and vice versa, which is a minor inconvenience. I personally don't make large quantities of dough at one time, so I don't need a scale that can weigh, say, several pounds of flour or dough at one time.

The scale I use is the one shown here: http://www.jpimall.com/kitchen-scales/kitchen-scale-soehnle-futura.aspx?r=Froogle. That doesn't mean that you should get the same one. There are many other good scales out there, and you may want to do a search on the forum to see what other brands our members use or have purchased, and to get opinions of others, including those who may have bought the same model of Futura scale as I have (there is a more expensive version of my scale with a greater weight capacity that I believe was once recommended by Cook's Illustrated). You might even do a Google type of search and do some price comparisons.

Good luck.

Peter

Offline iceman3876

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 11:29:45 AM »
Thanks so much...From what I have gathered there is not room for estimating measurements in pizza making for consistent results. I look forward to learning a great deal from this forum since I really enjoy pizza...

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 12:40:18 PM »
Oddly enough, try QVC. I just got a scale from there. It measures lbs/gms up to 11lbs/5kg, it's accurate to 2 grams, auto-shutoff, all buttons within easy reach, tare feature, the works. It's brand name is Polder, around $30 plus shipping.

I'm very happy with it!

Walt 

Offline iceman3876

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 08:34:07 AM »
Oddly enough, try QVC. I just got a scale from there. It measures lbs/gms up to 11lbs/5kg, it's accurate to 2 grams, auto-shutoff, all buttons within easy reach, tare feature, the works. It's brand name is Polder, around $30 plus shipping.

I'm very happy with it!

Walt 

Thanks Walt...I'll give it a look see

pizzapan