Author Topic: Bottom burning with new FibraMent Stone?  (Read 990 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Bottom burning with new FibraMent Stone?
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
Recently purchased a 2stone oven with a FibraMent stone. 3/4" x 15 3/4". I Pre dried the stone as per instructions from FibraMent. Before this purchase I had been using a grill stone by RedSky:
http://redskygrilling.com/

I have cooked 2 pies and reheated 3pieces on this stone. In each case the bottom of the pie was burned. Not just spots of char, but most of the skin burned. Today reheating at 400 there was no area that was not black.
Prior whole pizza cooks were launched with stone temp approx 600.

I have not had this experience on the RedSky stone. I am wondering if the FibraMent stone needs some special technique? Perhaps no one else has had this problem with the FibraMent. Perhaps it is due to the slightly higher oven temps?

Any ideas?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Bottom burning with new FibraMent Stone?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:14:52 PM »
When I was using a Fibrament stone on my BBQ mod, I often had to turn down/off the burner directly under the stone.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
Mark,

The Fibrament stone sits on the metal pan (on an air pocket)that deflects heat to the outside of the stone and to the top stone.
If there is not enough heat there will be little or none that gets deflected so the bottom would burn since there is a lack of parity between the top and bottom stones. The Fibrament stones are heavy and hold a lot of heat, so they don't cool down that much when the cold dough comes in contact with them.

The stone will not reach optimum performance levels untill it's been fired up 10-15 times.

Willard
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:06:26 AM »
AH, I see. Didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I better get cooking, without haste.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles