Author Topic: 2stone Wood Fired Prototype  (Read 5415 times)

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
2stone Wood Fired Prototype
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:58:16 PM »
Here is a short video of a wood fired prototype I've been working on:
It uses the 16" pizza grill, 42 fire bricks, 4 cement blocks and a trim & base kit.
It requires no tools and can be built in less than an hr. It works well with coal and wood, and is real efficient.

The dough I'm using is way past it's prime.....sorry. The sauce is based on a 6 in 1 blend, the cheese is 3% whole milk mozzarella and the basil was infused with Amish roll butter.

Just a few more tweaks......

Willard

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:52:02 AM by 2stone »
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline Jet_deck

Re: 2stone Wood Fired Prototype
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:02:18 PM »
Looks very interesting.  The pizza looks good, too.  Will it have an electric rotating deck option?  Thanks for sharing.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Thanks, my goal on this project has been to make a wood fired 2stone that delivers on price and performance.
Once the brick has been heated up it puts out a steady flow of heat that can easily be manipulated using small bits of kindling size wood chunks. I have made a few prototypes that have the electric rotating hearth, but they always came up more expensive to make than I liked. I'm going for a more manual feel where you can really get the wood fired experience. -Willard

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »
Looks nice Willard. Is it a self contained unit or does it sit on a grill?

Good luck!
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
I'm going for a more manual feel where you can really get the wood fired experience. -Willard

I've been getting that 'wood fired experience', and let me say it is not always positive. :-D  I'm just suggesting to maybe offer it as an option at some point.  Building and tending the fire, and assembling the oven may be enough for some.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »
Jeff, I think a 4-1/2X2-1/2X9" fire brick weighs 3 lbs.   7.3 lbs.
The total thermal mass including top and bottom stones in the oven
should be around 150 lb. 325 lbs. It is self contained (no need for a grill) and it can be fed just
just like a regular WFO.

Jet Deck, I hear you.  I use gas a lot.....cause it's so easy.
But I've always been a sucker for real wood. Just depends on the mood.
Watching the flames and listening to the crackle of the wood burning......I heat my whole house with
A big soapstone oven in the living room. The ambiance is hard to beat.

The same unit fits on a gas grill....you can just pick it up and move it.

Willard
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:57:46 AM by 2stone »

Offline Polo

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »
Jeff, I think a 4-1/2X2-1/2X9" fire brick weighs 3 lbs.

I am thinking more like 7 or 8 lbs. In case that weight difference changes your design.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:44:18 AM by Polo »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »
So sorry Polo, you are absolutely right.
It's 7.3 lbs. per brick not 3 lbs. I some how copied that wrong.
The total weight comes out to about 325 lbs. of thermal mass.
That's much better.....Thanks

Willard
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:59:21 AM by 2stone »

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Hi Willard,

Thanks for sharing your new idea here, its a pretty neat concept. What is the pre-heat time like to get it up to say 700 degrees, and up to say 900 degrees?

P.S. Still enjoying my 2Stone Inferno.

Thanks
Chris

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
Hi Chris,

The burn chamber is pretty small, so around 1/2 hr to 45 min is what I'm shooting for.
I have tweaked three more things since I posted the video so hopefully by my next firing
it will be good to go. Yes it can get as hot as you would like....but oddly enough my go to baking temp is around 600 now!!

glad you are still enjoying the Inferno

regards
Willard

Offline WestCountry

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:47:52 PM »
Willard,

Thanks for the update! I'll keep following more on the wood version of that oven. Yeah, I hear you in terms of temperature....I am liking right around 700 for my sweet spot...and might start trying around 650...

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »
The skid of bricks finally thawed out so I could use them.
There was still a little ice on them, so they didn't go togeather real easy.

Everything should be self explanatory...the pictures toward the end show the stone slide. -wg

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
more

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
This shows the stone all the way inn and pulled all the way out.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
Willard,
 Have you ever considered an Inferno or Pro model with the option of both gas and wood? I just picture this one you show encased in stainless, the ability to wheel around if needed and option of both fuels. Either way, this looks interesting, just concerned about too much bottom heat being that the fire is underneath the stone instead of on the same level as the baking surface. I know with the gas models you have, the ability to move the burner is crucial in the balancing act of the oven and am wondering how you plan on alleviating that possible concern on this model?

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
Anthony,

I have a couple of prototypes that do that, and if I do it they will be more money. (so who knows)
The two second to last pictures show a sliding stone which duplicates the effect of the sliding burner.

willard

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
Too much going on yesterday, let me add some more thoughts, and some philosophy!

I drive a Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, and my wife drives a Toyota Yaris. Actually.... even though I'm a tall guy, I bought it first to drive back and forth from Buchanan to Chicago (4 hrs. total)  It is like a tin can, and when it blows hard it can be all over the road, but I love it. I got around 40 mpg sometimes and being that it's so small  really isn't lacking any power......well it does vibrate a bit at high speeds!!
Parking is a breeze, and it has its place in our transportation arsenal. I wouldn't be without it or something similar.

The truck on the other-hand is practical, and with 4 wheel drive....and high off the ground can go anywhere. But, it can get as low as 12 mpg. and is not something we choose to joy ride in, and parking can be a bitch. It can tow the biggest Bobcat with no problem and is great for hauling all kinds of stuff. It is also only a 2 seater, where we can fit 5 in the Yaris (in a pinch) Again, I wouldnt be with out it or something similar,

Ovens, are really the same. One size does not fit all. The variables are price, size, performance, etc. etc. There are a number of 2stone owners who use both. It depends on how much time you have, how many pizzas you make, how much fuel you want to use and what type of pie you want. My truck is not going to be replaced by the Yaris, and you won't replace a big expensive WFO with the 2stone. They are different, just as pizzas are different.

There is a big misconception that is being peddled in the pizza world............that Neapolitan pizza sits on top of the mountain peak, and all other pizzas are some type of inferior wannabees if you will. I think there are probably people on this forum making dynamite pizza  in their home ovens. The best pizza I have had was not Neapolitan or wood fired. I talked to a guy yesterday who has a wood fired oven and a 2stone who said some of the best pizza he has had came out of an electric oven. (guess who's it is)

The little WF 2stone kit is simple and relatively inexpensive for what it does. It can make fantastic pizza, and top and bottom heat is adjustable to a degree. It is a fuel miser, a DIY project that can be dressed up a 100 different ways. For those of us who are WF pyromaniacs at times, it is a lot of fun to mess around with. Once the bricks are laid (whether you chose to insulate and dress it up or not) the 2stone can be removed and replaced with a grate and morph in to a wood fired grill with a serious heat sink.

I'm responding to a lot of feedback along with a lot of "out of the box" design. If it has any merit or not, I don't know. I have a Leatherman multi tool, but I don't use it too much, I prefer to use a screwdriver that doesn't have a pair of pliers or a nail file coming out of the back of it! I guess that's kind of my design philosophy. I'm happy with an assortment of tools that all do their job well in there respective fields. Ovens are a baking tool, and all have their respective strengths and weaknesses. -wg

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
There is a big misconception that is being peddled in the pizza world............that Neapolitan pizza sits on top of the mountain peak, and all other pizzas are some type of inferior wannabees if you will. I think there are probably people on this forum making dynamite pizza  in their home ovens. The best pizza I have had was not Neapolitan or wood fired. I talked to a guy yesterday who has a wood fired oven and a 2stone who said some of the best pizza he has had came out of an electric oven. (guess who's it is)

So true!   im not sure I agree that neapolitan is inferior to anything, but for sure I have had pizzas that I thought were just as good as the best pizzas I have had in Naples and at high profile US places such as UPN, Keste, Don Antonio, Il Pizzaiolo, and Amano.    Even though I can make a 1.5 minute pizza at home, I tend to mostly make pizzas at 650 because it allows me to use cheese that tastes better to me.   When I can bust out some really fresh buffala, then I love a neapolitan pizza, but for me I have to have that cheese to really compete with my mid temp new haven (ish) style pizzas.   

Also, I remember having a great converstation with Chau once where he commented that when you really nail a crust at 600 degrees it really isnt THAT much different than the crust on a great neapolitan 1 minute bake.    I think I agree with him, and the better I have gotten at making pizza the better my lower temp pies have been getting.    I think a super high heat oven is just a little more forgiving, and that amazing oven spring and texture tends to come a little easier.     

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:15:53 AM by scott r »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »
Back when we started the 2stone (on this forum) we did a bunch of drawings and gave away some ovens. I had fun and some of you got free pizza grills.

I would like to continue the tradition with a little twist. Instead of having a drawing, draw or sketch a  black and white design of a dressed up "2stone fire brick kit"  It can include a built inn wood box and prep table. Any material you choose....brick, stone etc. etc. Take a picture of it with your phone or whatever (it could be computer generated, or it can be just plain crude!) and post it on this thread. Help me figure out a fair way to judge it, (like nominating some judges from the forum) and the winner will get a free $600+ WF 2stone kit. (US continent and Canada shipping allowance $40.00)  -wg

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
Scott r,

Also, I remember having a great conversation with Chau once where he commented that when you really nail a crust at 600 degrees it really isn't THAT much different than the crust on a great neapolitan 1 minute bake.

After baking all over the place (500-1000) my preferred "go to" baking temperature is 600 + - 10

-wg

pizzapan