Author Topic: super newb dough question  (Read 904 times)

Offline johnnyb1216

super newb dough question
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
ready to make my first pizza just have question about "age" time for dough. i see some poeple leaving dough age over night and some going days ( 8 days on some). what is the difference and how do i know how long to age it? i filled out dough calculator and was going to try this:

high gluten flour 100%.................1532.74g
hydration             63%..................965.63g
IDY                      .35%.................5.36g
kosher salt              2%..................30.65g
oil                           1%..................15.33g- not sure if i should use and if so what kind? recomendations please   :-\
sugar                      1%..................15.33g- same as above   ;D
total                  167.35%................2565.05
for 8 dough balls @ 320.63g
so does this sound right and after i mix and nead should i let proof @ room temp for a while before i divide into balls then refrigerate air tight for how long? then pull and let warm to room temp before use. do i have this preceedure down right or am i goin to do something very wrong? thanks for any help to get me started -John

Offline IndyRob

Re: super newb dough question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
I don't think I'd go for 8 dough balls on the first try.  But if I did, I'd hedge my bet.  Take half the dough and let it bulk ferment in the fridge right after kneading for 24-48 hours (you'll divide it later).  With the other half, divide it into balls and do one today (I suspect that accomplished pizza makers can do an acceptable pizzas without a long ferment), one tomorrow, one the next day and, the next.  Likewise, peel off some of the bulk fermented dough at roughly similar intervals.

You're establishing a baseline here.  This will give you ideas about proceed in the future.  Don't try to hit it out of the park now.  A promising result will be better than an immediate spectacular success.  If you were to luck into the latter, you'd have no idea *why* it was successful.

If you're totally off the mark, you'll have wasted 8 dough balls.  That may not be very expensive in itself, but if you don't catch it before baking, then the cost of the toppings will compound the error and it could wind up as a very expensive lesson.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:13:56 PM by IndyRob »

Offline johnnyb1216

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
thanks rob for the quick reply. so what your saying is take that batch divide it in half and put one of the halves in the fridge in a air tight container. the other half divide into balls and let sit at room temp for a few hours, take one and try a pizza, others refrigerate air tight and try one each day til i get a good result. now with the bulk ferment should i cut off portion starting on day 2 of wait til the divided balls are gone? will the results be different from an exact same batch that has been divided and one that has not? should i use a canned sauce and cheap toppings til i get the hang of the dough or will different sauces and toppings effect the result of the dough? sogginess etc.
          thanks again for your time, john

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
I would say 'just make a pizza' first.  Don't worry about all the details. Just do it. From there we can help to refine the vision.

Offline johnnyb1216

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 05:52:06 AM »
sounds like a good idea rob. thanks for the reply and i'll let you know how things turned out

pizzapan