Author Topic: Fibrament-D stone at high temps.  (Read 4336 times)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Fibrament-D stone at high temps.
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:43:58 PM »
Well, I just royally screwed up 2 really beautiful pizza's, cooking them on a Fibrament D pizza stone for the first time in my Kamado grill. It was a new 19in. stone and I cooked 2 18in pizzas on it to test it out. The bottom of the first one burned to a black crisp at 750 degrees. I turned the grill down to 600 and cooked the 2nd pizza. The bottom came out great, but the dome temp. in my grill had dropped to the point that the cheese and toppings didn't cook completely. Oh well, I think I can work on my temperature a bit and get things to turn out great eventually. I'll try to post some pics if I can.

Strangely, the one that was black on the bottom actually tasted better than the one that was undercooked on top. It looked horribly burnt, but it didn't taste too bad.

Steve

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
Re: Fibrament-D stone at high temps.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 12:45:23 AM »
The first pizza is my recreation of a Pesto Primo from Paggliaci's Pizza in Seattle. It's got a base of olive oil & garlic. The cheese is Fontina & Mozzarella, with a dollop of Ricotta per slice. The toppings are only sliced peppers. Then it's got a drizzling of Pesto sauce. This come out really great (with the exception of the bottom crust), with a flavor that was nearly identical to the Pagliacci original.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:53:26 AM by AKSteve »

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 12:47:05 AM »
Then the cooked result.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 12:49:28 AM »
And the "Char-Crust" bottom.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 12:59:11 AM »
Then this one is just sauce, mozz, pepp, sausage, & precooked mushrooms. You can see how the top isn't quite cooked enough. If I could have somehow combined my results, these would have been 2 of my best pizza's ever.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:02:29 AM by AKSteve »

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 07:36:18 PM »
Not sure how you have the Kamado set up, but I would guess you need an intermediate  barrier so the stone does not get so hot...I use a cast iron top from a dutch oven to slow the radiant heat from the fire,,,But My kamado is a bit older than yours probably is..
Bud

pizzapan