Author Topic: Any reason not to buy a Mugnaini oven?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline ForrestM

Any reason not to buy a Mugnaini oven?
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:40:28 PM »
Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum, and to WFO's.  I am getting ready to pull the trigger on getting a new WFO and am leaning towards mugnaini.

I have been searching this site for feedback on these ovens, as well as valoriani and can't find much either positive or negative other than some people saying that they have one and that they like them, and a couple people implying that they do not like them but not saying why.

I want to use my oven for pizza, bread, poultry, etc.  primarily pizza and bread though.

Any advice either for or against these units would be appreciated.

Thanks folks!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Any reason not to buy a Mugnaini oven?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:21:59 AM »
do not buy that oven they are really unbalanced.  read more search more  whatever you have to do.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »
I agree. Those are not the ovens to buy if you want to make pizza. Look at Forno Bravo for a lower dome height, or breadstoneovens.com.

John

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:45:12 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. 

Is it just the higher dome height that makes it unbalanced?  Would I run into the same issue if I got the FGM raised, or the Forno Bravo Premio2G100 which both have higher roofs?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 12:31:52 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. 

Is it just the higher dome height that makes it unbalanced?  Would I run into the same issue if I got the FGM raised, or the Forno Bravo Premio2G100 which both have higher roofs?

What are the interior dimensions of the oven you are looking at from Mugnaini (including interior dome height)?

John

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
15.5" at peak of dome
11.5" door opening
38" circle of cooking space (not including the door)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
15.5" at peak of dome
11.5" door opening
38" circle of cooking space (not including the door)

The FGM Raised has a 12.8" dome, and the FBPremio100 is 16" high. The FB dome is 1" thicker than the Medio 100, which is better for heat retention and even cooking. FGM has a thicker wall as well.

John

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
Thanks.

So, can I assume that the extra thickness of the stone offsets the issue of having the dome higher on the FB unit?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »
Thanks.

So, can I assume that the extra thickness of the stone offsets the issue of having the dome higher on the FB unit?

That dome height is high for the FB, but I have seen really good pizza being made in it. So there must be something there. Check out Jackie Tran's thread on his WFO, which I believe is the Premio 100.

As far as dome height goes, it seems around 15-16" is the max for ovens in the 40-48" range. Craig's Acunto has a 15.5" dome, 48" interior. I think that dome height is important, but the oven characteristics in relation to the dome height really tell the tale it seems.

John

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
Thank you.

I read through that thread.  His pizza and bread looks amazing.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
Another alternative if you go with a higher-dome oven: my oven has about the same dome height (~15.5" IIRC). When I bake pizzas, I place an extra layer of bricks (2 x 2 square of 12" x 12" x 1.5") in the center to raise the cooking surface closer to the dome. I had to trim the corners of the back row to get those 2 bricks to fit in far enough.  

It's taken a while to master this to get just the right balance of heat into the pizza, but I prefer the results and the flexibility even if it can be less convenient to change between modes.  

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
Thanks Bill.   What oven do you have?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 03:19:59 PM »
Me too! Same oven as Bill I love it ! Also have what I believe is a FB 100 on a trailer. With some work and practice Both can  make a decent Neapolitan  style pizza ( style, avoids the pursuits comments on what exactly this style entails) not exact but close enough for me  :pizza:
JohnD

Ps there's an earth stone 90 on ebay right now (with gas assist which you don't have to use ) you can grab for around $5k or less,  ready to cook!  what a great affordable way to start out then figure  what you really want to own build ... This oven is a wonderfull all around option!  :chef:
John
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:23:21 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan