Author Topic: Pizza Today's 2011 List of Hot 100 Independents  (Read 874 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Pizza Today's 2011 List of Hot 100 Independents
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »
I thought that our members might be interested in seeing the latest (2011) list of Pizza Today's Hot 100 independents, based on sales. That list can be seen at http://www.pizzatoday.com/magazine/2012-october-independents-list.

Some of the interesting entries and observations:

1) Buddy's Pizza, which is the number one independent Detroit style pizza operator in the country, is #1 on the list. Shield's Pizza, arguably Buddy's main competition, is #30 on the list. And doing quite well, thank you.

2) Tony Gemignani and his co-investors look to be doing quite well with just one store: See #36 on the list.

3) It looks like the Neapolitan style pizza can be quite lucrative. See Tutta Bella at #13, and Spacca Napoli at #93. And guess who is at #85?

4) Marco’s Coal Fired Pizza, at #57 on the list, also offers their version of a Neapolitan style pizza.

5) Pizza and beer in a pub or bar setting are very popular. I counted nine places on the list. No doubt there are more that don't show up in the names.

6) Thirty four states are represented in the list, with Ohio holding the top spot (11 places), followed by California (9), Missouri (7), Louisiana (5), Washington (5), and Texas (5).

7) My pick for most creative name: #23 (http://www.pizzaorgasmica.com/); Boombozz (#17), Moose's Tooth (#18), and The Couch Tomato Café (#70) ain't bad either.

8) By my count, there are 39 places with Italian or Italian sounding names, and not all of them are owned by Italians.

9) I suspect that there are some independent pizza operators who chose not to participate in the survey. To be on the list, a pizza operator's 2011 annual sales would have to exceed $1.5M. Over forty percent of the names on the list have average annual sales per unit of over $2M. That seems to be a good place to be.

Since the list gives URLs for most of the names on the list, it would be interesting sometime to visit their websites to see what it is that they are doing that gets them on the list.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizza Today's 2011 List of Hot 100 Independents
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
Peter,

That sure is an interesting list.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »
Peter, we have all seen lists.  On a scale of 1 to 100, how much personal merit do you give it?  Thanks.  I'm ordering my deep dish pans now.  LOL. :-D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:44:53 PM »
Peter, we have all seen lists.  On a scale of 1 to 100, how much personal merit do you give it?  Thanks.  I'm ordering my deep dish pans now.  LOL. :-D

Gene,

The Hot 100 list is not a "best" pizza places type of list. Each year, Pizza Today mails out surveys to independent pizzerias across the nation. Using their responses, they compile that year's Hot 100 list — a ranking of America’s 100 largest independent pizza operations (based on sales). According to Pizza Today, the Hot 100 list is "eagerly devoured by its readers" and "is a testament to the ingenuity, diligence and skill of the pizzeria owners who make the grade." I found the list interesting because it is directed to independent pizza operators. It also gives an insight into the volume of sales of independents. I wouldn't have thought that Buddy's would top the list, and that Shield's would be doing so well. As economically depressed as the Detroit area is, it looks like a lot of people are out eating at Buddy's and Shields.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:26:01 AM by Pete-zza »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 09:05:23 AM »
These sorts of lists rely on survey responses being accurate. In some industries, responses are notoriously inaccurate. I don't know that to be true of independent pizzerias. Also, as Peter noted, operators don't have to reply. Frankly, I'm not sure why they would. One of the great things about being a privately owned business is that you don't have to share your financials. I don't know why you would what to broadcast your success and open yourself up to attack by new competitors, or worse. Grimaldi's, Patsy's, Regina, Mozza, Bianco come to mind as names I would expect to see on a compete list. I'd bet there are dozens of others missing as well suggesting its likely that quite a few on this list would not be on a complete list.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »
Craig,

Pizza Today also puts out other lists of pizzerias and their sales, mostly the big boys. For example, here is the 2012 list of the top 100 pizzerias by annual sales: http://www.pizzatoday.com/magazine/2012-november-top-100-companies-list. Most of the names on that list are privately held companies. And many are chains with franchising. Apparently the companies on that list are less concerned about revealing their sales numbers. Most likely their competitors already have a pretty good idea of what they are. I see that the sales cutoff, at #100 on the list, was $21M. Maybe the Hot 100 list is from that number on down based on how they define independents. However, I do agree with you that revealing the sales numbers for the smaller independents is perhaps not a good idea. That is probably why there are names that should be on that list but aren't. I scanned the 2012 list referenced above and I saw Pizzeria Regina on the list (#82) but not the other names you mentioned. However, I found that list also to be quite interesting and informative.

Peter

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:07:46 AM »
One of the great things about being a privately owned business is that you don't have to share your financials.

+1

I'd bet there are dozens of others missing as well suggesting its likely that quite a few on this list would not be on a complete list.

Yup.

--K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan