Author Topic: What grande cheese is used in these difara pics?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
What grande cheese is used in these difara pics?
« on: December 09, 2005, 01:46:16 AM »
anyone know if this is grande fresh mozarella or what kind of grande mozzarella is in these buckets?

These pics are from difara.

Im guessing the big white blobs come from that grande bucket.

Anyone know where we can order this stuff? Pennmac doesnt sell it and i dont know where else to look.

:)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 01:48:32 AM by snowdy »

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
Re: What grande cheese is used in these difara pics?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 01:47:51 AM »
here are the blobs of the fresh stuff.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 02:18:12 AM »
Dom has been known to switch up his cheese from time to time.  The last time I visited he was using mandra buffalo mozzarella, grande fresh mozzarella, grande whole milk processed mozarella, and  a healthy dose of Grana Padano, a sharp hard greating cheese a little bit like parmesan.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 08:36:51 AM »
Snowdy,

My recollection is that the mozzarella in the bucket is the Grande Ovoline fresh fior-di-latte mozzarella cheese.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 03:01:30 PM »
peter is right, that is definitely what is in the bucket.

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 08:14:55 PM »
I don't get it  ??? Does he just plop a huge ball of mozz in the center of the pizza and it spreads as it cooks?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 12:53:31 AM »
no, he likes to pull the buffalo and the fresh grande mozzarella apart by hand.  I have seen him put the wet cheese down on the pies like this, then come back to shred and distribute, then grate the dry cheese on top.

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 10:53:42 PM »
anyone know where to buy this stuff?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 02:34:12 AM »
Those are three pound buckets of Grande fresh mozzarella.  You can get everything from the little cherry tomato sized ones up to these large balls, but they all come in 3lb buckets.  Sumaleria Italianna sells it and they will ship (from Boston) along with the buffalo mozzarella that Dom Also uses.  The good news with buying from them is that they will sell you less than 3lbs at a time.  If you call around to your pizzeria supply wholesalers in your area you should find one that carries the Grande line.  Many of the places that sell the grande dry loaf cheese also carry this fresh (in water) cheese.  Unfortunately you will not find it in any normal grocery stores, but if you are nice, and buy a decent sized order you might convince a wholesaler to sell to you.  I often combine my cheese purchases with flour and tomato purchases to get my order size up.  You can also get cases of fancy spring water, cases of olive oil (great Christmas gift), and other items that you would get at a Costco or Sam's Club type place.

I have found the Grande Fresh cheese to be my personal favorite cows milk mozzarella.  I always hear people talking about the wet packed cheese making their pies too soupy, but this is only a problem for me if the cheese is not fresh.  If it is in between fresh and not so fresh you can slice it and lay it out on paper towels to dry.  I change towels anywhere from 3 to 10 times depending on how fresh the mozzarella is.  You will also need to salt it (and the buffalo mozzarella), but when you do you will be rewarded for all your work.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 10:56:04 AM »
snowdy,

While I was in a Whole Foods store in Dallas recently, I saw three forms of fresh mozzarella cheese in ball form--ciliegine, bocconcine and ovoline. They were all in small plastic containers with water. They were not from Grande. My recollection is that they may have been from Mozzarella Fresca, which is a California cheese producer and a "Best of Class" winner in the 2005 U.S. Championship Cheese Contest.  If you can't locate the Grande ovoline cheese, you might check out a local Whole Foods to see if they have what you are looking for.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 12:13:47 PM »
I got a chance to sample the mozzarella fresca at the NY pizza show, and it seemed pretty close to Grande.  It is hard to judge in situations like that because the amount of salting really effects my perception of the cheese, but you will certainly get a similar pizza out of both.  There is nothing wrong with the Bel Gioioso fresh cheese either.  There are many other smaller companies that make this stuff as well, and freshness is the key. A recently made cheese by any manufacturer is better than a dated cheese by Grande.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 04:08:27 PM »
I don't know if it's already been posted because I don't have time to read through the whole thread right this minute but you can get it from Verns cheese.  I emailed them and this was their reply:

Good Morning Nathan,

Yes, we do carry the Grande Ovaline. It is available in a 3# tub and costs $17.50 per tub. It is not listed on our website, but if you would like to order it via our website, be sure to specify the quantity and description in the comment section of the order page. Otherwise, if you prefer, you can call us direct at 920-849-7717 Monday thru Friday between the hours of 7:30am - 5:00pm (central time) and we can take all the necessary information over the phone.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail us at info@vernscheese.com or call us at 920-849-7717 during the times specified above.

Thank you, and have a Happy Holiday Season!

Sincerely,
Vern's Cheese Inc.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

pizzapan