Author Topic: First attempt at NY  (Read 1218 times)

Offline HyperPizza

First attempt at NY
« on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:20 AM »
I'm making pizza tonight! Keep in mind the only experience I have is whatever I've read on here.  ::)

Dough was made last night with GM Better for Bread flour. I let the IDY rest for about five minutes in 100-110F water. Added half of the flour in the bowl and all of the water and IDY mixture. Then, used the dough hook on my KA mixer for a few minutes until everything was incorporated. A two minute rest and then the rest of the flour, salt, and sugar. Mixed until smooth and not so sticky. I put it on a floured surface and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Then weighed and cut it and put it into four oiled tupperwares, threw the lids on, and put them in the fridge. Did I do it correctly?

Here are the specs.

Flour (100%):
Water (61%):
IDY (.45%):
Salt (2.5%):
Oil (2%):
Sugar (1.5%):
Total (167.45%):
Single Ball:
765.91 g  |  27.02 oz | 1.69 lbs
467.21 g  |  16.48 oz | 1.03 lbs
3.45 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.14 tsp | 0.38 tbsp
19.15 g | 0.68 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.43 tsp | 1.14 tbsp
15.32 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.4 tsp | 1.13 tbsp
11.49 g | 0.41 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.88 tsp | 0.96 tbsp
1282.52 g | 45.24 oz | 2.83 lbs | TF = 0.1
320.63 g | 11.31 oz | 0.71 lbs

24hr-ish cold ferment, a then 2 hour rest at room temperature before making the skin.

Photos to follow.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:28:20 AM by HyperPizza »

Offline HyperPizza

Re: First attempt at NY
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
Here is the dough after 17 hours in the fridge and 2 hours at room temp. I may have been a bit too generous with the oil. Also, the sauce I made (two cans of crushed tomatoes, a few cloves of garlic, sea salt, sugar, and some red pepper flakes) and the cheese I'm going to use. Photos of the finished pies will be up later.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
HP,
Everything looks pretty good so far.Try to locate some whole milk mozz for next time. Tell us what you have in mind for your bake setup... :chef:
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline HyperPizza

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »
HP,
Everything looks pretty good so far.Try to locate some whole milk mozz for next time. Tell us what you have in mind for your bake setup... :chef:
Bob

Thanks! Oven setup will be a stone left at 550 for an hour in the middle rack and then moved up closer to the broiler before adding the pie. Hoping for 5 minutes of cook time.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Sounds good HP. Rather than manipulating a hot stone, why not heat it completely on the upper rack. Also, turn that broiler on for the last 10 min. of your 1hr. preheat. Without knowing your oven...you may want /need the broiler on during all/part of your bake. Things are going to happen fast here and for this being your first time it sounds like you are well prepared. I'm impressed and excited man....good luck!  :chef:
Bob

Offline HyperPizza

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
Sounds good HP. Rather than manipulating a hot stone, why not heat it completely on the upper rack. Also, turn that broiler on for the last 10 min. of your 1hr. preheat. Without knowing your oven...you may want /need the broiler on during all/part of your bake. Things are going to happen fast here and for this being your first time it sounds like you are well prepared. I'm impressed and excited man....good luck!  :chef:
Bob

A little preparation never hurts, haha. I moved the stone and will use the broiler during the cook time, as you said. T-minus 45 minutes until launch. Will report back with results!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:11 PM »
Great! Speaking of launch....will you be working with a peel...wood?

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
Just curious but did you make them into doughballs after weighing and dividing?  I reason I ask is because I see open seams.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Just curious but did you make them into doughballs after weighing and dividing?  I reason I ask is because I see open seams.
+1
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline HyperPizza

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »
Sorry for the long wait everyone, life calls. Anyway, here are the photos of my pizza making venture.

Great! Speaking of launch....will you be working with a peel...wood?

Cheapo wooden peel. Suits my needs for now.

I did, just a crappy job, haha.

I've made another two balls with a different recipe for friday and saturday and have taken more care in forming the dough. They've been sleeping in the fridge for about two days and have already doubled their volume. I'm going to reball about 4-8 hrs before (depending on my schedule) and then let rest for a couple of hours before baking. Excited? You bet.

I'll post the photos of the dough in the containers in a bit.

Offline HyperPizza

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 07:17:20 AM »
And here is one of the containers of new dough. Also, I mixed the oil into the dough and didn't oil the container this time.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
Very nice Hyper. That pizza looks great....especially for a first timer. Remarkable!  :chef:

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Very nice.  How did u like the GM better for bread flour?  It can handle the hydration well so u may want to try 62%.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.