Author Topic: Caring for dough tins  (Read 879 times)

Offline gfgman

Caring for dough tins
« on: January 14, 2013, 06:33:09 PM »
Anybody smarter than I am regarding caring for pizza dough tins, or any kitchen metal for that matter?  I got a set for Christmas.  I guess they are aluminum?  I'm not really sure.  Anyway, I washed them once in the dishwasher after using all three.  They came out with water spots on them.  No big deal there.  I just washed one in the dishwasher with a full load of regular dishes and stuff.  It came out looking all old, gray, and tarnished.  I took a scrub brush and dish soap to it, but it didn't really change anything.  What causes it to get like that?  I use Cascade gel packs.  The bag says they contain the grease fighting power of Dawn, but it doesn't say they contain bleach.  I won't put the others in the dishwasher.  I will stick to handwashing.  Do I just live with the appearance of the one tin, or can I do something to return it to its original brilliance?  I kind of thought they would have to be okay in the dishwasher due to possible use in a commercial establishment.

GMan

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Caring for dough tins
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
They are aluminum, and aluminum does discolor/tarnish in the dishwasher.  Google it for more info.  Aluminum is hand-wash, always, to keep it bright.

Offline gfgman

Re: Caring for dough tins
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I did google it.  I have a steam pot that's not coated inside, and it did the same thing.  Now I know why.  A lot of people suggested using bar keepers friend for cleaning up your aluminum. 

pizzapan