Author Topic: How Hot is Your Oven?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
How Hot is Your Oven?
« on: December 09, 2005, 10:15:56 PM »
I have a plain-old range in my kitchen, which will probably be moving on when I remodel my kitchen this spring.  I've dreamed about a professional range for years, but I've noticed that just about everything on the market has a maximum oven temperature of 500F.  My old range, however, goes up to 550F, and I've become quite used to baking my pizzas at this temperature.

How hot is your oven?  Is it gas or electric?  Do you think this makes a difference?  Does anyone use a professional range?  What do you think of these things - not just for pizza, but for all kinds of cooking?

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
Re: How Hot is Your Oven?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 11:51:32 PM »
My Whirlpool is gas and goes to 500 degrees. Wish I could get it hotter for pizza, but it does o.k. I guess. I like
to do a lot of high heat roasting, especially veggies and whole chickens, but I mainly do this in the fall and winter.
North Carolina's heat and humidity in the summer keep me from doing too much baking and high heat roasting then.
I bake bread just about every week also and the odd cake or cookie recipe from time to time. I've been pleased with
the gas oven as to it's accuracy for temp and time in following recipes.

Pyegal

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 12:48:30 AM »
my maytag electric range can do 550, and can be calibrated for an additional 30 degrees without modification.  The 580 that it can do would be perfect for most styles of pizza.  I have modified it (easy) to get up to 800 on the cleaning cycle.  I actually wish I could get another 100 degrees out of it, but I know that is crazy.  It is the bottom of the line self cleaning model and is in current production.

High heat burners can help make many other types of food better as well.  Just look at the temps of the burners at any restaurant.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 08:06:57 AM »
I have 2 ovens 1 GE digital convection job with self clean & 1 GE old school with 3 little clocks on the control panel> the convection 550 The cheapy will go to 750 with the stat turned passed broil to its internal stop. I does not have self cleaning maybe thats why it will get so hot. One can simulate the clean cycle.

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 09:52:52 AM »
Is it common to use the broil mode for pizza making?  I'm sure most ovens can get at least up to good pizza temperatures in broil mode.  However, I'm concerned that it might be too hot, and also about the heat radiating down from the top.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 10:13:57 AM »
freshflour,

Using the broiler element has become pretty much standard operating procedure for me. For me, it gives me control over the overall bake. If the bottom of the pizza is cooking faster than the top, or if the crust color at the rim needs more darkening, I turn on the broiler element and move the pizza from the stone to an upper rack position below the broiler element. Sometimes I turn the broiler element on when I put the pizza on the stone, to keep the oven temperature elevated, and sometimes I turn the broiler element on part way during the bake, especially if I see that the top is cooking too slowly or the crust is too light. For certain crusts, such as those using 00 flour, I almost always use the broiler element to increase the crust coloration (although more recently I have been using dried dairy whey to provide added color). Of course, you have to be careful when using the broiler element. You don't want to burn the cheese or other toppings. In my experience, a minute or so under the broiler element is usually sufficient. With experience, you will quickly master the process, much like a pizzaiolo learns how to move pizzas around the oven to get the best results.

Peter

Offline bruce

• Call the fire department when I make pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 06:58:18 PM »
Hey guys,

Mr new guy here. I just found a neat little feature on my oven! It's the thermostat adjustment. I was looking in the manual for my GE Profile Spectra gas range and found that I could adjust the thermostat + or - 35 * F. by holding down the "bake" and "Broil Hi/Low" button at the same time for 2 seconds and it entered into setup mode where I could adjust the oven to run hotter. It was only another 35* but it made some difference so now I can reach about 585*temp in my oven. Just gotta remember to reset it back to normal when i'm done. Hopefully this will be of some help to someone else if you looking for a little more heat. I posted some pics to show the results if your interested.

Nice forum!
Bruce
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:04:07 PM by bruce »

pizzapan