Author Topic: Corn oil for Chicago deep dish?  (Read 910 times)

Offline garyd

Corn oil for Chicago deep dish?
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »
Is any particular brand of corn oil better or are they all about the same? Is Mazola better than the cheaper store brands?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Corn oil for Chicago deep dish?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
For the small price difference and since I only keep a small bottle of it(only use it for pizzas) I just go with the Mazola....nothing is too good for my Chicago Pizza!  :-*
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:10:42 PM »
Is any particular brand of corn oil better or are they all about the same? Is Mazola better than the cheaper store brands?

Use what tastes good to you. I buy the Butcher Boy brand when it's on sale because it comes in those gallon jugs. Wesson, Mazola, Crisco... they're all good.

Just keep an eye on the expiration date and store in a cool dry place. Oil can go rancid.
-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/
http://virtualcheeseblogger.com/

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »

Just keep an eye on the expiration date and store in a cool dry place. Oil can go rancid.
That's why I buy the small bottle, it's just for me and my Chi-town pizzas a few times a month. The small bottles do cost more as you know....volume,VOLume,VOLUME!! buying is best if you can work with it all... ;)

Come to think of it...can you freeze the stuff or keep it refrigerated vcb? Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:20:32 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline garyd

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
That's why I buy the small bottle, it's just for me and my Chi-town pizzas a few times a month. The small bottles do cost more as you know....volume,VOLume,VOLUME!! buying is best if you can work with it all... ;)

Come to think of it...can you freeze the stuff or keep it refrigerated vcb? Thanks.

That's one of the reasons I asked. Mazola is only in big bottles but the store brand or generics are usually available in small bottles and since I use it only for deep dish pizza, the big bottle will go rancid before I ever have a chance to use it all.

I also wonder if it all comes from the same place no matter what brand.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »

I also wonder if it all comes from the same place no matter what brand.
I would think that it does not garyd....maybe Peter will see this...he is very smart about these things.  8)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »
I would think that it does not garyd....maybe Peter will see this...he is very smart about these things.  8)

If you look at the Nutrition Facts labels, they will all pretty much look alike, whether it is a store brand or a national brand. Most house brands are produced by the majors in the trade. Many of the majors have to spend a lot of money promoting and protecting their brands so they don't want you to know who they do private labeling for. If an oil is fresh, I don't think it really matters whether a house brand is used or a national brand.

Peter