Author Topic: Oven is on , Dough is a mess, suggestions please  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Trazom

Oven is on , Dough is a mess, suggestions please
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »
Hello,

I think im in a bit of a jam and need some quick help.  After getting my scale I found a quick recipe from
http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/92-classic-pizza-dough-neo-neapolitan-style.html

I tried to use one from this site but the more I read the more confused I got due to the shear amount of information.

Anyway I followed the recipe but with KAAP flour not BF.  including the optional sugar and olive oil. It has been the refrigitor 12 hours and now I am at the point where I am making the dough balls. My problem or what I think the problem is the dough is really sticky and I am sure I wont to be able to stretch it. I got the 5 8oz balls out and covered now but as the dough sits now I donít even think I can do anything with it.  If anyone has any suggestions im all ears .  I just set my oven to 500 to preheat. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:30:52 PM by Trazom »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Oven is on , Dough is a mess, suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »
It looks like your hydration % is 75. Is that correct? To make this work after kneading is done and fermentation has happened, I believe is a matter of adding flour to the outside of the dough balls until you can work with it. Am I too late?
Next time an adjustment in either hydration or kneading technique may be in order.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Trazom

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
 It was a total loss , i had to knead in a ridiculous amount of flour. It all ended up in the trash.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
 It was a total loss , i had to knead in a ridiculous amount of flour. It all ended up in the trash.

I was there a couple weeks ago. Had enough for 4 pies, barely got 2 to work. Very stick and weak on top of it. It would just fall apart in my hands....trash :-\
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Trazom

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
At this point ive had more failures then edible pizza. I give up on pizza style now  i just need a thin crust dough recipe that works. One that i can actually stretch out

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »
Do you use a gram scale for measuring??

Offline Trazom

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:32 PM »
The scale I have goes to .5 oz it does grams but I don't know how low it will measure

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
When you can, get a good gram scale, they're not that much. .5 oz is just north of 14 grams. LOTS of room for error in my opinion. You won't ever be sorry for getting one. Better, repeatable results guaranteed!!

jon

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »
When you can, get a good gram scale, they're not that much. .5 oz is just north of 14 grams. LOTS of room for error in my opinion. You won't ever be sorry for getting one. Better, repeatable results guaranteed!!

jon

*upvote to you, Jon!*

Also, no matter how horrible your dough is to handle, it may still be usable as a pan pizza.  If you have that terrible sinking feeling at least a few hours in advance, oil a pan and plop your sticky mess in it.  Press it out with your oiled hands, cover the pan and let it rise until you are ready to cook.  I did this quite a few times before getting a decent scale. 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Good call!! I've gotten so far away from pan pizzas I forgot, that would have been a great option. Although I did but a 18" 2" high pan at RD the other day. May try some thin crust deep dish.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 08:35:19 PM »
To work a 75% dough, you don't "knead in" any flour, you just use a lot of it on the bench and on your hands. If you disturb the skin by folding the dough ball, then yes, you may as well throw it in the trash.

Offline Trazom

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 09:36:54 PM »
Sry scale goes down to .05 oz not .5

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »
At this point ive had more failures then edible pizza. I give up on pizza style now  i just need a thin crust dough recipe that works. One that i can actually stretch out

Flour is cheap and pizza is good.  Start over, if that doesn't work, post your method and start over again.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline sb 44 champs

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:52 AM »
To work a 75% dough, you don't "knead in" any flour, you just use a lot of it on the bench and on your hands. If you disturb the skin by folding the dough ball, then yes, you may as well throw it in the trash.
Stretch and fold technique by Peter Reinhardt. IMO, only way to get a dough with that much hydration to work.
I've had several dough's that just would not coorporate. If you let the dough rest for 5-10 min it relaxes the gluten and will allow for more stretching.
If all else fails, do as jackitup said and make a pan pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »
In addition to some of the corrective measures already mentioned, you can also use a sheet of parchment paper if you are able to open up the dough ball to form a skin, albeit a wet one that is likely to stick to a peel. If you'd like, the parchment paper can be removed from the oven once the pizza is set.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
Sb 44, the stretch and folds take place while making the dough, not when trying to open the doughball into a pizza skin.  It is too late at that point.

Offline Trazom

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it. My next ball that does not work is going right into a sheet pan.

I have one emergency Lehman style and one mack and manco clone going now. Not sure if they are good beginner recipes but since my problem seems to be with wet dough I thought mack n manco dough would be good to try. If I could get even a little close to their pizza I would be thrilled.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »
In addition to some of the corrective measures already mentioned, you can also use a sheet of parchment paper if you are able to open up the dough ball to form a skin, albeit a wet one that is likely to stick to a peel. If you'd like, the parchment paper can be removed from the oven once the pizza is set.

Peter

I forgot about this technique- thanks Peter.  Parchment (AKA silicon baking sheets) can save you a lot of frustration with high-hydration dough.  Just lay down a sheet, drop your ball on it and try to open it.  If it opens, fine, make pizza.  If not, Ciabatta bread!

BTW, bread flour is much easier to get decent results from than AP, IMO.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline sb 44 champs

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
Sb 44, the stretch and folds take place while making the dough, not when trying to open the doughball into a pizza skin.  It is too late at that point.
Must have mis-read your post. didn't realize you were opening the dough ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »
Trazom,
Try this one...you won't regret it!  Gaurantee... ;)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5851.0.html      Jerry Mac
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan