Author Topic: Detroit-style Pizza Pans - Source  (Read 1934 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Detroit-style Pizza Pans - Source
« on: December 26, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
Beginning Jan. 1, 2013, the prices of blue steel pizza pans from Detroit Style Pizza Co. will rise dramatically, from $8.50 to $12.50 for the 8 x 10, and from $9.75 to $13.75 for the 10 x 14, or 47% and 41%, respectively(!).

And on top of all that, of course, is a double-digit shipping charge.

I don't know about others, but to me, that's an outrageous increase.  Does anyone know of another source of these pans?  In fact, does anyone know where Detroit Style Pizza Co. gets theirs?  If one orders in sufficient quantity (which would make sense for someone opening a restaurant), perhaps one can order directly from the manufacturer.  I also read that Jet's Pizza found a manufacturer, which may or may not be the same as Detroit Style Pizza Co.'s.

Also, I read that the original manufacturer, Dover, moved to Mexico, but does that mean that they no longer make the pans?  My Googling efforts have been fruitless in finding contact info for their new Mexico location, but perhaps someone else would have more luck than I did.

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Detroit-style Pizza Pans - Source
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
Gene,

I don't know if this will work, but you might be able to beat the price rise at http://www.bucket-outlet.com/upan.html. To the best of my knowledge, the Bucket Outlet pans are/were sourced by Dover Parkersburg. When I tried the url for the Dover website today, it no longer worked. That company was around for over 100 years but now may be history, at least in the U.S. FYI, they never sold direct to individuals.

I'm not sure that P.A. Products has the pans either, even if listed on their website. At one point, both Northern Pizza Supply and P.A. Products stopped selling the pans. You may have to call P.A. Products for an update and also pricing (at one time they had a two-tier pricing system, one for professionals and one for home users). Northern Pizza Supply discontinued selling the pans altogether.

As I see it, Gene, even at the increased prices, the steel pans are still a relative bargain. The pans are a one-time purchase. Where you save the real money is using one or more of Norma's Buddy's clone dough formulations in the Two Bill's thread (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.0.html). That thread did not start out as a Buddy's reverse engineering and cloning thread, but that is essentially what it has become. It is really an extension of the Buddy's thread that you started several years ago in your quest for a Buddy's style dough.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:53:34 PM by Pete-zza »