Author Topic: Nice bake  (Read 4181 times)

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Nice bake
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »
all looks terrific-- but that knife pic is really something.

clay

Offline Gags

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
all looks terrific-- but that knife pic is really something.

clay

I just looked at this thread and thought the same thing -- even the knife has tons of character!!
Totally envious!!
Great pix!!
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline TheD-Pizz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 12:41:35 AM »
hey sorry for simple question I'm new, Ive been looking for a few hours on how to clarify the process of making the "levain" for neapolitan style pizza can you tell me how to make it exactly? I have maintained a sourdough starter in the past so I'm kind of familiar with that process is it the same? With the sd starter i just bought a packet at the grocery store and fed it every day and kept it in a warm area. Is that what a levain is for neapolitan style pizza or do you just mix half water and half flour and let it sit for a day or two? Its confusing because there is a poolish/levain/starter/fresh yeast and i don't totally understand the difference as the terms are thrown around the forum  and I'm trying to learn what the most authentic process is for the neapolitan. thanks

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 02:47:37 AM »
TheD-Pizza,

For definitions of some of the terms you mentioned, you might take a look at the forum's Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html .

Peter

Offline TheD-Pizz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
Thanks Pete i did that this week already there is nothing there (that i can find) about how exactly a levain is made, other than its like a sourdough starter(which i don't know how to make other that to buy a starter), so in all these neapolitan threads when people say 20% levain, they created a sourdough starter and just use that?

So is that what authentic neapolitan pizzas are made from, a sourdough starter, water salt and flour? if so, when recipes call for 20% levain wouldn't that create inconsistencies in the recipes because some levains would more yeast-y than others and create much different rises during baking verses (1tsp of ady) which would be consistently the same?

If this is the case, do all you professionals use a sourdough starter that you just buy at the grocer or is there a simple way to make one with out going into the mountains and finding fungus or something like I've seen people talk about in threads?

Sorry for the amateur questions but Im just trying to get a consistent process down that i can build on for these neapolitan pizzas, as I am new to making them.

Thanks by the way, for all your posts as I've been coming to this site for years for tips on other kinds of pizzas, but just recently registered, I tried to register a few years back a couple times but i kept getting error messages and i just didn't follow up on it, but i was able to learn a lot and enjoyed reading the threads. Your posts are always very thorough and logical.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »
So is that what authentic neapolitan pizzas are made from, a sourdough starter, water salt and flour?

Any form of baker's yeast (IDY, ADY, CY) or a SD culture can be used for "authentic" for Neapolitan pizza, however the VAST MAJORITY of Neapolitan pizza is made with baker's yeast - primarily CY and IDY added directly to the dough with no preferment of any type. Only a very tiny minority is made with SD, and even less is made with a baker's yeast preferment.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
I certainly understand your questions on trying to make sense of the sourdough terminology. Long story short: levain is flour and water that has been inoculated with active sourdough starter and left to ferment until active for use. You might also hear this being stated as "feeding" a starter. It is the chicken and the egg - the starter is levain, and it makes more levain. Levain is a french term more attributed to bread making. I use the term levain here because the dough is basically bread, having been made with a large percentage of sourdough (20% of flour). It is not true Neapolitan pizza dough.

In the case of Neapolitan dough being made with sourdough starter (called crisceto in Italian), the normal proportion would be 3-5% of the amount of water. It would then be left for around 18 hours to ferment at room temp, most of that time being balled. You should take a look at Craig's thread on making dough at the top of the Neapolitan forum for more info on the complete process.

John

Offline TheD-Pizz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »
Thanks John and Craig

pizzapan