Author Topic: NY Pizza -what's with the cold pepperoni?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
NY Pizza -what's with the cold pepperoni?
« on: December 11, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »
I've eaten a lot of NY pizza all over New York and most often they bake the pizza, take it out, and then put the cold pepperoni on the the pizza to cook.  The texture must be a matter of taste.  Sometimes they take a slice of cheese pizza, put some pepperoni on it, and reheat for a few minutes.

Are the NY fans after a certain taste or texture?

What is the goal?

thanks

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
Re: NY Pizza -what's with the cold pepperoni?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:09:59 AM »
my guess is so as to minimize pepperoni 'cupping' or just basically over sweat the pepperoni and all the grease melts out, drying out the pepperoni and it can no longer stay flat on the pizza.

Offline Bubba Kuhn

• A dough to dough salesman since 1967!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 12:13:47 AM »
Short cooking slice pies and then "dressing them to order" reheating with your choice of toppings has been a fast paced approach to offering a full menu approach to grab and go slice houses for years.  As a practice in a good sit down house only two things occur to me. They are using a "real" pepperoni that means it would burn if put to the full cooking process. Most people do not know that the meat industry has worked for years making "ovenproof" pepperoni and salami for the pizza industry. This is sliced meats that won't burn around the edges and reduced the "staging" method of adding toppings at diffrent times to get pizzas with toppings to cook evenly and all at the same time. Next time you see it ask and let us know what they say.
Share a piece with a friend!

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »
The pepperoni won't cup n crisp like it should if you do that, never heard of it at least here in buffalo, everyone uses margarita pepperoni

Offline NyPizzaPie.com

• Trying to Build The Ultimate NY Pizza Site!
    • NY Pizza Pie
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 09:26:01 PM »
Hi ,

Yea alot of people or shall I say places do that when you ask for a slice , My personal opinion is that they dont make that much peperoni pizza , cause not everyone likes it , then when someone wants a slice ~Bam , they just add it

I would and always prefer the pepporoni cooked with the pie . Thats just my taste .

Mmmmmm. but I sure do love that pepporoni Pie! ;D

pizzapan