Author Topic: Dough Prep  (Read 866 times)

Offline moneysshot

Dough Prep
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
Hi All,

I have been searching prior posts regarding using a bread machine to prepare their NY style dough. Some have stated that they take the dough out before it goes through all of the cycles? I have a West Bend bread maker and the dough option takes 1 hour 20 min. I have made a couple batches over the last few days and the dough has turned out great, but I have a couple ?'s for the experts:

- If I am going to take the dough out prior to the cycle completing, how do I know the right time? 20 min or 30 min? Or just by the look of it?

- Once the dough is complete, is it best to zip-lock one large dough ball or separate the balls immediately? The first batch I made I lightly oiled the ball and then put it in a zip-lock freezer bag in the fridge for 24 hrs. Then last night I separated it into 2 separate balls and then each into a zip lock and back in the fridge.  I plan on making it tonight, so 48 hrs since it has came out of the bread maker.

- Currently using pete's calculation from a prior post:

Dough for Two 12 Pizzas
Bread Flour* (100%): 13.47 oz
Water (63%): 8.48 oz
IDY (0.20%): 0.25 tsp
Salt (1.75%): 1.2 tsp
Olive Oil (2%): 1.7 tsp
Sugar (1%): 0.96 tsp
Total (167.95%): 22.62 oz
Single Ball: 11.31 oz

Using:
Pillsbury bread flour (only King Arthur Flour I found was AP)
Cold water from the fridge (understand it helps a lot with the heat of the bread machine)
Red Star IDY
EVOO
Generic sugar

Last night I also made a second experimental batch based off of the above formula:

Pillsbury bread flour - 10 oz
Bobs Red Mill Semolina - 3.5 oz
Cold water
Red Star IDY
EVOO
Generic sugar

Both batches are currently in the fridge and I will know how they actually turned out in the next couple of days. First batch tonight and the second semolina batch tomorrow. The first batch was quite a bit stickier than the second batch, which makes sense because of the Semolina. I am cooking the pies in a conventional oven on a pizza stone. Plan on heating the oven for an hr at 500 and setting dough out while the oven heats. Using BelGioioso mozz and Cento San Marzanos if that matters. Anxious to see how everything turns out.

Any advice and/or input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Trev

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Dough Prep
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
Trev,

I see that you have been doing your homework. Good for you.

Some time ago, I conducted some experiments using my breadmaking machine. Maybe you have already read my reports on the results I got using that machine. The two main posts that I often cite on the use of a breadmaking machine to make a NY style dough are Reply 51 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5486.html#msg5486 and Reply 260 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg17113.html#msg17113.

My personal preference is to slightly underknead the dough rather than to let the dough go through a complete cycle of the breadmaking machine, which, for my taste, produces a crust that I find too breadlike. So, for my Zojirushi breadmaking machine, I would perhaps pull the dough from the machine after about 6 minutes of kneading. I might mention here that we have some members who have modified their breadmakers so that they can use just the kneading function of the machine, without any heat added during the preparation of the dough. We also have some members, like Art, who prefer just to throw everything in the bread pan of the breadmaker and go through the entire cycle. I note in this regard that the recipe you posted is essentially the one that Art posted at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5931.msg51034.html#msg51034 but for two 14" pizzas rather than two 12" pizzas. Art has always been happy with the procedures he has followed with his breadmaking machine.

Another member who has been very happy with his results using a bread making machine is chickenparm. If you do an Advanced forum search using bread machine as the search terms and chickenparm as the User, you will find several of his posts on the subject. An example of one his posts can be seen at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16485.msg160977.html#msg160977.

You correctly assessed the reason why your first batch of dough with the Pillsbury flour was wetter than the batch with the semolina flour. The 63% hydration along with the wetting effect of 2% oil may be a bit too high for the Pillsbury flour. This is less of a problem with the semolina version because it can absorb more water than the Pillsbury flour. If you decide to try the first batch again with just the Pillsbury flour, then you might drop the hydration value by a couple percent and make adjustments thereafter based on your results.

As far as doing the dough division up front or a day later, either approach should work. My practice has been to do the dough division up front. However, we have had some members who have recently being doing the division later, and they seem to be very happy with the results.

In your case, with only 0.20% IDY, you may want to give the dough adequate temper time at room temperature before you make the pizzas, especially if you are in a part of the country where is on the cool or cold side this time of year. The prolonged temper time should allow the dough to ferment more and rise more and to soften up and be easier to work with.

It looks to me that you are in control of the situation and are on your way to achieving good results. We have a lot of fans of the NY style so feel free to post photos if you'd like. In the event of any problems that you experience, you should also feel free to come back for further assistance.

Peter

Offline moneysshot

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »
Thanks so much Peter!! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to follow up with my questions and sending me in the right direction! Pizza turned out great, it was my first time trying the Centos and I really like them a lot. I think I might try the Classico Peeled and Ground next. I am at work now, I will give a more detailed post in a little bit, just wanted to share a few pics. Thanks again!!

Trev

Offline mvd

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
Trev,

Looks like you got some pretty good results!

Just a comment on the flour: King Arthur AP flour has a pretty high protein content for an AP flour. I've read before that it's even higher than many other brands of bread flour, even. (I did a quick Google search, but didn't find a good comparison of brands... I'm sure it's out there, though.) I find it works better than many brands of bread flour in terms of both stretchability and flavor. I've switched back to using KA BF since that's even better, but I would recommend giving their AP a shot.
Mike

pizzapan