Author Topic: Upgrade-itis  (Read 1693 times)

Offline bicster

Upgrade-itis
« on: December 11, 2005, 10:59:40 PM »
As with all of my hobbies I am getting a case of upgrade-itis.  I need more!!!  Right now I am using a Kitchenaid mixer but was wondering what the consensus was on this one by Santos:

http://www.qualitykingdom.com/commercial_dough_mixers_specialty.html

Is it worth the price, and will it really affect the quality of my dough vs the Kitchenaid?

Best,
Josh

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Upgrade-itis
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:40:28 AM »
Josh,

Do a search on "santos" in this forum. You'll find a number of informative posts.

Bill/SFNM

Offline bicster

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 11:12:19 AM »
I did, and it seems that the DLX receives a fair amount of praise as well.  There's just something about the Santos that I really like though.....

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »
Josh,

I think you have to first determine what your needs are. If you plan to make a lot of dough and you want it to be the best it can be without going to commercial equipment, then the Santos unit may fit the bill. To the best of my knowledge, the only members who post regularly who have the Santos unit are Bill/SFNM and David. There are several members who regularly post who have the DLX Electrolux, which seems positioned between the Santos unit and KitchenAid mixers, including scott, Les, varasano and Henrik. All of these members can speak to the virtues of the equipment they use based on their personal experience which, thus far, seems to be very positive. Then there is the high-end KitchenAids stand mixers, such as the Professional series, including those models that have the special dough hook. Based on what I have read from our members, the KitchenAid units, even those at the high end, seem constrained by dough batch size, and will grunt and groan, and sometimes even fail completely, when you try to make large amounts of dough at one time. Other high-priced models, such as the Viking, seem similarly prone to that problem, to the point where at least a few of our members have given up on them.

I have a modest KitchenAid stand mixer and, I too occasionally suffer from the malady of upgrade-itis. But since I rarely make more than one batch of dough at a time, and rarely for more dough than for a 16-inch pizza, the KitchenAid unit I have seems to meet my needs. So, when I get the urge to upgrade, I generally lie down until the feeling goes away. In your case, if your upgrade-itis malady worsens severely, you may want to look into a halfway house to help you overcome the problem and release you back to your kitchen to resume pizza making on your present mixer.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 03:03:58 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 12:29:58 PM »
Peter is right.You need to determine exactly what your needs are before investing a lot of money in a piece of equiptment.What type of Pizza you like to make is probably the first question .The Santos is large and does take up a lot of counter space.It is purely a dough mixer and can not beat,whip or use any number of attachements available to other types of planetary or spiral mixers.I would advise that this mixer is more suited to a test kitchen than general domestic use.IMO if you are  a keen all around baker (such as Bill/SFNM)you will probably get more use out of this machine than the home Pizza maker,otherwise It's a bit like a guy driving a Ferrari around Manhattan.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline bicster

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 08:19:53 PM »
I would say that I am an all around baker with a keen interest in pizza.  Much like Anakin Skywaler my skills have grown too powerful too quickly and like I said I want bigger and better. 

I generally do not make extremely large batches, but I think that the Santos would make my current batches better.  i really am much more concerned with perfecting my pizza than the price associated with it. 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 08:29:37 PM »
With regard to minimum batch size, lately I have been getting very good results with batches of 4 pizzas of 300g each @ 64% hydration. This is about the smallest batch I have any interest in making.

Likewise, I  have been very pleased with the results with all kinds of bread using the Santos. Not all is due to the Santos since I made the jump to using all-natural starters about the same time I got the Santos.  Before those two big changes, I was under the delusion that my pizzas and breads were about as good as they were going to get. Boy was I wrong.

Bill/SFNM

Offline bicster

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 08:32:53 PM »
Im going for it.  Worst case scenario: there will be a santos for sale soon!!!